LegacyGT.com

Considering a '13 Legacy, but.....

SubieAngel

:confused:

I am considering purchasing a 2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5i, but I have read about problems in previous Legacy and Outback models with the air conditioner not cooling enough in hot weather, especially in warmer climates. Living in L.A. (Lower Alabama), we do not get snow or much cold weather. Temps run pretty high most of the year.

Has anyone experienced an a/c problem and/or do you know if the problem has been fixed for the 2013 models?

Thanks.

Arizona, Georgia, and here last year in the hot ass midwest with 110 temps I never had issues. The only thing I noticed was (which I imagine would be with most cars) it took a little while for it to get really cold after I started it midday. But when the whole car is 110 degrees baking in the sun, I guess thats expected to start off a little slow.

I think you answered the question in your your question, it was previous generation from what I can tell. I have the previous generation and the A/C does stink, it struggles and goes on and off, but the new versions based on these responses dont appear to have the same problems.

I'm trying to decide whether to purchase a 2013 Honda Accord LX or the 2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5i. According to a Honda forum, there are quite a few problems with the new Accord IMID system and a few other quirks. Hence the reason for my inquiry. The Legacy is sounding better and better. I'll probably make the purchase in about 2 weeks.

Any other thoughts?

:)

Yes, Toyota owns 19% of Subaru and Subaru assembles 1/3 of the Camrys sold here in the US in the Subaru plant in Indiana. That says something about Toyota's trust in Subaru.

Just go with the Subaru and free up your brain power. You will be happy.

• 2 weeks later...
I have to ask how does that help someone asking about the 2013 model year?

I was thinking the same thing. I'm specifically asking about the '13 2.5i. Some have answered my OP, but I'm still concerned about the a/c not cooling efficiently enough. I've looked at some '13 Legacy 2.5i reviews in other places and most a/c problems seem to be from pre-2013 models. Maybe it's because not enough '13's have been sold yet...and...hot weather has not gotten here yet.

Has anyone heard any info on this issue? I'm hoping to hear that Subaru has fixed it by now. Maybe there's a way to contact Subaru NA to ask about it. I'd rather contact them via phone rather than having to resort to create an account with them. I'm going to contact some Subaru dealers (Service Managers) in some of the generally warmer climates and see they have heard anything about this.

All this fuss may seem redundant to some, but it's a big deal to me. My wife is pressing me to make a decision soon (maybe you know what I mean). Right now, the Legacy 2.5i and the '13 Accord LX are on my short list.

If you have a '13 Legacy 2.5i base model, I would appreciate hearing some pro's and con's. Not interested in Premium or Limited models (don't need/want all the fluff).

I was thinking the same thing. I'm specifically asking about the '13 2.5i. Some have answered my OP, but I'm still concerned about the a/c not cooling efficiently enough. I've looked at some '13 Legacy 2.5i reviews in other places and most a/c problems seem to be from pre-2013 models. Maybe it's because not enough '13's have been sold yet...and...hot weather has not gotten here yet.

Has anyone heard any info on this issue? I'm hoping to hear that Subaru has fixed it by now. Maybe there's a way to contact Subaru NA to ask about it. I'd rather contact them via phone rather than having to resort to create an account with them. I'm going to contact some Subaru dealers (Service Managers) in some of the generally warmer climates and see they have heard anything about this.

All this fuss may seem redundant to some, but it's a big deal to me. My wife is pressing me to make a decision soon (maybe you know what I mean). Right now, the Legacy 2.5i and the '13 Accord LX are on my short list.

If you have a '13 Legacy 2.5i base model, I would appreciate hearing some pro's and con's. Not interested in Premium or Limited models (don't need/want all the fluff).

To be honest if we didn't get snow I'm not sure we would have bought a Legacy. Don't get me wrong, we're really happy with it.

We came from a VW Jetta TDI and the new Passats were just coming out. The new Jettas were having expensive HPFP problems so we stayed away from the Passat.

The Passat has been out a while and I'm not seeing the issues that plagued the Jetta. I know it's more than the base Honda or Subaru, but do yourself a favor and test drive a Passat TDI, the torque is fun along with the MPG it's a nice combination.

Agree on the new Passat TDI, which gets great gas mileage and is fun to drive. Do no think it would handle as well in the snow as the Legacy.

I also tried out the new Ford Fusion Titanium AWD and thought it was great, especially the technology that comes with it. Worried about the reliability of a first year model.

To be honest if we didn't get snow I'm not sure we would have bought a Legacy. Don't get me wrong, we're really happy with it.

We came from a VW Jetta TDI and the new Passats were just coming out. The new Jettas were having expensive HPFP problems so we stayed away from the Passat.

The Passat has been out a while and I'm not seeing the issues that plagued the Jetta. I know it's more than the base Honda or Subaru, but do yourself a favor and test drive a Passat TDI, the torque is fun along with the MPG it's a nice combination.

We're here in TX where the temp is quite hot during summer and we never had any problems with the a/c of our 05 2.5i which we bough in dec of 05. We no longer have that car (totaled out) but we plan to buy the 2013 model and I don't expect any problems with the /ac on it, should particularly be better for back seat passengers as there will be a/c vents for them at rear of center console......

Archived