LegacyGT.com

2012 vs 2013

fullerslgt

So I have been out of the scene for awhile and my best friend is looking into getting a new legacy. He was told at a dealer in atlanta that the 2.5l n/a subaru was pretty much the same between the 12 and 13. Does anyone have any feedback on which model would be a better buy? Is the 13 a lot better than the 12? Or could he save money on the 12 and pretty much have the same car? thanks

I believe there were a few suspension adjustments made on the 2013 to tighten it up a bit (stiffer springs, larger rear sway bar), but I don't know how much of a difference it makes. The 2013 has a different grill (I actually like the 2010-2012 grill better, especially if you paint it black), but that is up to personal preference. 2013s also have the partially blacked out headlights, which look a lot better in my opinion. But essentially they will be the same car... Unless you're looking for an LGT (turbo), which it doesn't sound like you are (those were only made up until 2012).

Definitely more than just cosmetic changes for 2013 - I'd go with the 2013 - it has the new chain driven engine (FB25, I think, instead of the older belt driven EJ25), the revised CVT, and revised suspension - there are cosmetic changes as mentioned above, too.

I bought my '12 after the '13 were released. If the options for 6MT were available in 2013 that my 2012 have I would have bought a '13 instead.

In addition to the above, the 13 also has slightly lower gearing, couple extra hp, slightly higher mpg rating, and a different instrument clister lighting. It sounds like the dealer is trying to down play the differences to sell off leftover inventory. At this point the '12 has been sitting on the dealer lot for atleast 6months.

ok awesome thanks. also I have heard of guys buying their subarus in colorado because of such great deals they get there due to the amount of subarus being sold there. They travel there to save a lot more. That sound right or did they just happen to find a rare deal there?

• 2 weeks later...
I just bought a 2013 Legacy after reading a lot about it. Like other posters have said they did do some major changes. New Engine, New CVT, New Front grill, Timing chain instead of belt, Suspension changes for less body roll, Improved MPG. The Legacy is scheduled to get a full redesign in 2015 I believe. But with all those changes made to the 2013 I decided to purchase it. Personally for all the improvements I would go with the 2013 over the 2012 unless you're getting a substantial discount on the 2012 model. Got my 2013 Legacy Limited w/moonroof for $25.3K December is a great time to buy :)

• 1 month later...

Old thread, but updating info for people who actually search before posting...

From Cars101

What's New on the 2013 LegacyThis is the 4th year for the current Legacy.

Models

the models for 2013 are

2.5i manual and CVT

2.5i Premium CVT

2.5i Sport CVT - new model available late 2012

2.5i Limited CVT

3.6R 5 speed automatic

3.6R Limited 5 speed automatic

Gone:

2.5 Premium manual transmission

3.6R Premium model has been dropped.

2.5GT turbo

new on 2013 Legacys

> new redesigned front grill

> new redesigned front bumper

> new fog lights with chrome trim ring

> new headlights with black lower surround

> new the Hill Holder function is now turned on when you restart the car if it was left on when the car was last turned off.

> new 2.5L engine: improved economy +1mpg, and slightly more power. The new 2.5L engine was first used in the 2011 Forester.

It's a DOHC (double overhead cam) with a little more power- 173hp vs170hp and 174lb-ft of torque vs 170lb-ft at 4100rpm, and a timing chain with no scheduled replacement instead of a timing belt with a 105,000 mile replacement. Fuel economy with the 2.5L and CVT is up 1 MPG to 24/32/27 city/highway/combined.

The 3.6L engine remains the same with no changes.

> new CVT- 2nd generation CVT is lighter, quieter, more responsive than the 1st version used from 2010-2012. The 3.6L 5 speed automatic remains the same

> new upgraded chassis and suspension. All models get improved ride, handling and steering due to upgraded body structure with stiffer front strut mounting points and rear frame rails, upgraded suspension that includes a larger rear sway bar, slightly stiffer rear springs and bushings, and upgraded steering. The result is a more responsive car with improved handling and steering and less body sway.

> new fuel cutoff system that detects an airbag deployment and cuts off the fuel pump to minimize fire danger after an accident

> new BOS brake override system- when gas and brake pedals are both pressed, the brake overrides and stops the car. To prevent operator error unintended acceleration

New on 2013 2.5i Legacy

> steering wheel- now with bluetooth cell controls, plus audio and cruise control buttons

> audio includes handsfree cell phone bluetooth with steering wheel controls, wireless audio streaming, USB connection

New on 2013 2.5i Limited

> Matte dashboard wood trim replaces glossy wood trim

> Rear seat AC vent in the back of the center console

> Electroluminescent instrument panel with 3.5" color LCD display

> New Navigation/GPS system: 7" touchscreen, rear view camera displays in Nav screem, hands free bluetooth, 2D/3D mapping, AM/FM HD radio, XM satellite, wireless audio streaming, single CD/DVD, harmon/kardon audio 440w, 9 speaker, subwoofer, auto dimming rear view mirror with Homelink.

> New Option on Limiteds: Eyesight collision active warning and cruise control. Uses 2 forward facing cameras for pedestrian/object detection, lane sway/departure warning, active cruise control

COLORS

NEW COLORS FOR 2013

> the new Twilight Blue and Venetian Red colors are available with either off-black or warm ivory interior. Its been a long time since Subaru has offered two interiors with the same color.

Twilight Blue Metallic with either off-black interior or warm ivory interior

Venetian Red Pearl with off-black interior or warm ivory interior

GONE COLORS- NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Sky Blue Metallic

Ruby Red Pearl

ok awesome thanks. also I have heard of guys buying their subarus in colorado because of such great deals they get there due to the amount of subarus being sold there. They travel there to save a lot more. That sound right or did they just happen to find a rare deal there?

that is not true at all man. They're actually way more expensive in CO due to everyone wanting one. whoever you heard that from doesn't know a good deal haha

Archived