LegacyGT.com

Car Issue / Help Needed

I own a 2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT. It has around 103,000.00.

My engine last night threw the code P0011

Def - camshaft position A - timing over advance or performance

probable cause -

low or dirty motor oil

blocked oil passage

timing belt misalignment

failed avcs solenoid

I checked oil and it was low. I headed to get my oil change today and my car started making a loud noise. Car noises are hard to describe - this is almost a loud deep whining noise and some grinding noises. No clue if its coming from turbo or engine, but it only does this at acceleration. I had my oil changed and the check engine light and noise are still present.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Brandon

The noise you described sounds like your turbo is pooping itself, sorry, and that is usually accompanied by some sort of OSV code. There is a screen that filters the oil before it goes to the turbo and the RH OSV valve, if that screen gets plugged up you starve the OSV valve and the turbo.

^+2 to subytech.

no diagnostics needed. is the car significantly down on power? hate to be ominous, but there's a 99% chance your turbo's gone simply based on the info you've given.

stop driving the car IMMEDIATELY unless you feel like springing for an extra $2k (plus labor) on a new shortblock as well.

how long (mileage wise approx.) have you been driving with the noise you've noticed? Would've been a good thing to inspect the contents of the oil pan before you had it changed in order to check for chunks of metal (usually a good indicator of how the block's health is "post-turbo implosion").

and before the infamous turbo replacement questions start, search "FS vf40" and "FS vf46", can be had on here for anywhere from $200-$400 dependent on mileage/shaft play present. Unless you've got a couple grand to dump into the car and you feel like going stg3 (aftermarket turbo + all supporting mods + tune + more hurt on your glassbox OEM tranny).

unfortunately been there before, feel your pain. make something good out of it.

hope this helped.

-Jake

Archived