LegacyGT.com

Go away, Toyota.

KurtP

Buddy of mine was reading an article about the ft86 project and in the article it mentioned that Toyota and Subaru were looking at doing joint production and making the TriBeCa a rebranded highlander.

Anyone heard about this? I can't put into words how much I don't want Toyota having it's hands in Subaru. Their cars and production methods are absolute junk. It will start with tribecas being highlanders and legacy being a camry and the interior quality taking a dump. Next will be 170 hp na fwd wrx and turbos and flat 4s will be gone.

I really hope this ft86 project fails horribly and nips this issue in the bud right out of the gate.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Toyota used to be cool - back in the days of a mid-engined lightweight turbo sports car, and a legendary touring car with a turbo inline 6. Then they dropped the Supra completely, and turned the exceptional MR-2 into the shitbox MR-S. Now they sell Hybrids that look like scaled-down minivans, and sedans with no attempt at unique styling. If Toyota were to get back the wind in their sails they had back in 1993, a joint Subaru/Toyota venture would be a dream come true. But most likely, Toyota is just going to attempt to throw an overweight battery in the back of a Subaru.
On the search for a new DD...

Exactly. Of it was the Toyota of the supra mr2 and alltrac hey I'd be all for it. The quality of their cars was better in the 90s too.

New toyotas are absolute junk. The interior material quality is horrible....the plastic feels like early 2000s GM and the seats early 2000s Hyundai foam. They sell because of reputation and usually a degree of mechanical reliability.

The last thing we need is Toyota taking control. We will get big ass batteries cheap plastic amd fabric and absolutely no turbo. A 240 hp v6 with peak hp at 5100 revs and redline at 5900 is in the future.

Id rather see subaru go out of business than see it become the 'buick' of toyota.

The day I go to buy a subaru and it feels like a toyota or has non symmetrical awd, or doesnt have a horizontally opposed turbo motor is the day i stop buying them.

That and in case no one noticed Toyota is not exactly giving Subaru any kind of R&D money for the rest of the line that competes with Toyota cars. There's a reason the new Legacy looks like a Camry, just a matter of time until the Camry is like the Ford Taurus and the Legacy is like the Mercury Sable. Bwahahahahahahahhahhhahahaa.

Yet there will still be some yahoo that will come on the forum and tell us all what a great car their new MercuCamryRU is.

Exactly. Of it was the Toyota of the supra mr2 and alltrac hey I'd be all for it. The quality of their cars was better in the 90s too

Once Subaru is no longer a niche manufacturer, I am afraid we will be saying the same thing about it.

Regarding the Tribeca, I am not sure what will happen but something has to happen because the current formula is not exactly a winning one.

I think that the current generation of imprezas will be the last ones that are desierable to own. Hell right now I would still consider buying a pre 08 wrx/sti instead of a new one. The era of niche subarus that are not toyota like started to end when the 08's came out and are now the size of legacys.

why do you say that? Toyota gave up on power a LONG time ago, and then threw out build quality with the bath water. The junkier their cars have gotten over the last 10 years the more they have sold. If the tribeca isnt working, kill it from the line up.

Power? really? Toyota doesn't care about power or performance. Toyota will say "see? the turbochargers are causing you to have too many warranty claims because people buy them to modify them. Putting better pistons in the motor will cost too much money. Dont listen to Nasioc. Listen to JD power. You don't do that silly racing nonsense anymore anyway." the sti will be a 4cyl from the scion with a 6spd or a v6 from the solara with an automatic.

i think the highlander and tribeca sharing a platform isn't all terrible

as long as toyota uses the subaru AWD drivetrain, then toyota customers can benefit from it as well. as for interior quality.....meh the new impreza and outbacks already suck, i don't see how it would be much worse.

Id rather see subaru go out of business than see it become the 'buick' of toyota.

The day I go to buy a subaru and it feels like a toyota or has non symmetrical awd, or doesnt have a horizontally opposed turbo motor is the day i stop buying them.

Subaru and GM's tie up was WAY worse than the Toyota one. Toyota doesn't even have anyone on Subaru's board of directors. It's an investment for Toyota, and Subaru needs a partner.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hybrid everything.

exactly, this is really the only benefit i can see from toyota tinkering with subaru. i know i wouldnt buy it jus because do any research on how they make the batteries for prius' and you'll realize that hybrid isnt the way to go. but for another market such as families and older people (50's+) can benefit from an awd hybrid in one of subaru's platforms. but building off of what penguin said, the way of the future is electric and hybrid technologies. also awd drive trains, they're safer and that's a huge selling point for any car company. but overall, i wouldnt invest my money (financing a car for years lol) in something that toyota tuned down to sell to a larger demographic. but thats jus my 2 cents

Bad analogy. Buick is starting to rock and will soon see the same success as Cadillac. I see a Buick in my future.

It is still ugly.

Toyota and Subaru were looking at doing joint production and making the TriBeCa a rebranded highlander.

Guess Highlander sales are suffering that much. Still, it would not be good for them to share the same platform. The Highlander & Tribeca would end up competing against each other & for some reason, I can see customers idiotically choosing the V6 over the H6 & sales for the Tribeca would drop dramatically. Let's not forget Lexus variations. They would outsell the Tribeca as well. I foresee Subaru losing for some reason.

I can't put into words how much I don't want Toyota having it's hands in Subaru. Their cars and production methods are absolute junk. It will start with tribecas being highlanders and legacy being a camry and the interior quality taking a dump. Next will be 170 hp na fwd wrx and turbos and flat 4s will be gone.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. The Legacy & Impreza already look bad. Toyota probably had a hand in designing them. Who knows. All of a sudden, Toyota steps on the scene & Subarus begin to look like that. Hell, the Foresters today are the best looking Subarus. I NEVER thought I'd say that. About the FWD WRXs/STis, I can totally see the ricer scene being brought back because some idiot teenager got a hold of one & riced it all the way to Satan's door. Any mainstream Subaru with a I4 is blasphemy.

Toyota used to be cool - back in the days of a mid-engined lightweight turbo sports car, and a legendary touring car with a turbo inline 6. Then they dropped the Supra completely, and turned the exceptional MR-2 into the shitbox MR-S. Now they sell Hybrids that look like scaled-down minivans, and sedans with no attempt at unique styling. If Toyota were to get back the wind in their sails they had back in 1993, a joint Subaru/Toyota venture would be a dream come true. But most likely, Toyota is just going to attempt to throw an overweight battery in the back of a Subaru.

The late 80's/mid 90's were Toyota's prime. Coming from a hispanic ghetto, I remember seeing countless neighbors being in LOVE with their Toyotas. (I saw ALL KINDS of 70's & 80's Toyotas & they all disappeared by the late 90's.) Nowadays, this hybrid crap (yes, crap because there really is nothing good about it from my engineering view) is scaring people, it WAS killing people, it's expensive, & it's downright pointless not to mention ugly & doesn't leave memorable marks. They're just not good anymore. Here's a good idea for Toyota. Look back during the times of your prime.

Thanks Kurt... I enjoyed this.

I used to be a huge Toyota fan. From racing my 73 Celica (210hp/dual carbed/18RGR/GTS rear axle/etc), then an attempt to merge an all-track turbo to a 95 GT (failed, parted it out...).

It was just two days ago that I saw a car two lanes over and thought "oh a 2011 LGT" then got closer and was shocked to find it a Camry!!... All over AGAIN!

I really hate this crap.

I remember Toyotas ads recently of trying to convince the public that their cars are very safe. Something to the effect of "every car receives a 'billion' (ok, maybe it was 34) point safety inspection...the most in the industry". YET they never told us what that was!!!

How stupid do they really think the general public is (or is the majority really that stupid). I found it insulting and no matter how performance oriented they may someday become...I bought my last Toyota.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Archived