LegacyGT.com

Warranty claim- Driver's window scratched

Well, after nearly a year of happy ownership, our 3.0R will be going in for repairs.

It turns out that a smear on the outside of driver's side window is actually severe scratching. My wife normally drives the car, and didn't really notice; I spotted it yesterday when I got to drive it for the day.

Upon closer examination I found that a guide pad on the inside surface of the door belt molding is missing; the hard plastic clip that holds it is contacting the glass during the last 3" of upward movement. Add a little grit, instant glass cutting...

I'm taking it to a local dealer (not the selling dealer); hopefully there won't be issues. I'm expecting both a new belt weatherstrip and new glass. I also hope that the window adjustment is correct when it's done.

I'm also going to have then assess the loud/knocking shift interlock; it clunks loudly when applying the brake when shifting out of/into of park and when slowing/going at about 8 mph. (This might be interesting to folks chasing noises & rattles).

I'll post results, and my dealership experiences, when the work is done.

Follow up-

Totally disgusted.

The service manager claimed normal wear, no repair to be done. The tech doing the work claimed that the felt was ok.. It was the missing rubber guide below the felt that let the plastic retainer drag & scratch the glass- and this was very carefully explained to the service manager when I dropped the car off yesterday. It seems that no one there could figure that out. If the tech is that incompetent, I'm glad that he didn't take my door apart.

"Nothing wrong" with the shift interlock. I guess I'm hearing things...

I expressed my disagreement, on both issues, politely, with no satisfaction.

I'm not happy, needless to say. I really didn't expect a problem with getting the car fixed.

I'll be contacting SOA; I'm not going to bother with dealership management.

The dealership is Chase Parkway Subaru in Watertown CT. in case anyone's interested. I'll refrain from further comment.

Follow-up #2-

Contacted SOA; politely expressed my dissatifaction with the previous dealer's assessment. They directed me to another local dealer. The SOA rep was very helpful- to paraphrase- "not acceptable wear for a less than 1 year old car-we'll make right it regardless of the cause of the problem'

Appointment with Center Subaru in Torrington CT. yesterday- no argument. New window, new belt molding on the way, fully covered by warranty.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Postscript-

Got the car back today- all is well. Glass & belt molding replaced, no scratches or marks- you wouldn't know the door panel, molding or glass had been touched. Center's service department was very accomodating, communicative. I'm pleased wth the outcome...

I'll post in the transmission section about the check engine light that appeared the day before going to the dealer....

• 6 months later...

Short story - Just got off the phone with SOA and there is nothing they will do for me.

Long story - Dealer looked at the glass and stated it did not look like a defect to them. And if I wanted them to check inside and they find nothing wrong they would charge me for the labor time to look inside the rear door. Hearing that I turned down the work order to pull the door. And asked if they would just check the outer parts. After a one hours wait they advised me that they pulled the door and found nothing wrong (at no charge). I calmly stated my disapproval and left.

Later that day I called SOA and stated my case and was told to wait for a call back. Well 5 days later came the call that after they talked with the dealership and they felt that the scratches are not due to a defect and would not replace or repair the damaged glass. They did offer that if I wished to fix it they "MIGHT" assist in the cost. This is BS for I would have to lay out money on the hope of getting some back.

I feel I lost out on this one, and I do understand that SOA has a double edged sword. In that they can't help ever person. But if I do continue to own a Subaru in the future I will truly look for another dealer to do business with.

So for those that want to know it was Bill Kolb :nono:Subaru of NY.

Archived