LegacyGT.com

Buy now or wait?

Decided to test the market again last week. Recieved two quotes on identical '09 Legacy 3.0R limiteds (there are many in-state).

Only add-on was the homelink/auto-dim mirror.

(1) $26407, (2) $26615. Offer included $1500 cashback, $500 dealer incentive, 2.9% financing; taxes, fees, registration not included. Both sales reps pushed pretty hard ("they won't last long" "the $500 incentive won't be in May"); usual month-end sales talk. Both cars have been on the dealer's lots since January; few 3.0Rs have sold. I'd prefer to get 0% financing like SOA offered last year, but can adjust the downpayment to compensate.

My question is this- should I gamble and wait (I'm in no hurry), or is this a good enough deal? Any tips for getting a little more out of the deal?

I'm not familiar wth 3.0R pricing but it sounds good - those prices are significantly less than I paid for my Outback XT 5-speed manual only 15 months ago.

They have stopped building '09s, so what is out there now is all there is. You can gamble that incentives may get better in late May or June but then inventory may have dwindled as well.

Rule of thumb to buying cars:

ALWAYS purchase them the last 2 or 3 days of the month, that way if the dealership is almost done with their quota and missing only a couple of cars, you can actually purchase the car for cost (exactly what happened to me).

Subaru pricing:

If you are not in New England:

Invoice - 2% holdback - incentives...

If you are in New England, holdback here is 4%...

Based on that calculation you can understand until how much they will haggle with you...

I would offer invoice - holdback - incentives + 200 bucks or so to pay for their expenses (cleaning, etc)...

Good luck with your negotiation!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Thanks to all for the replies!

For SKY- they're sedans.

Flavio- the 4% holdback info is key; helps to explain where the extra $500 off came from.

I had one salesperson e-mail me today; she will let me know what tomorrow's deal (new month) will be.

Off topic -I also had a bit of a setback- my insurance company wants $900/yr to cover the Legacy; same as my Civic Si. A little steep, I think; no infractions, no accidents, perfect credit.... I'll have to contact them again for an explanation...

Off topic -I also had a bit of a setback- my insurance company wants $900/yr to cover the Legacy; same as my Civic Si. A little steep, I think; no infractions, no accidents, perfect credit.... I'll have to contact them again for an explanation...

$900 for annual insurance on a $30K car in CT sounds pretty reasonable. I think I pay 8 something here in MA on my Outback XT and I am in my 40s with the lowest step rating.

• 3 weeks later...
Decided to test the market again last week. Recieved two quotes on identical '09 Legacy 3.0R limiteds (there are many in-state).

Only add-on was the homelink/auto-dim mirror.

(1) $26407, (2) $26615. Offer included $1500 cashback, $500 dealer incentive, 2.9% financing; taxes, fees, registration not included. Both sales reps pushed pretty hard ("they won't last long" "the $500 incentive won't be in May"); usual month-end sales talk. Both cars have been on the dealer's lots since January; few 3.0Rs have sold. I'd prefer to get 0% financing like SOA offered last year, but can adjust the downpayment to compensate.

My question is this- should I gamble and wait (I'm in no hurry), or is this a good enough deal? Any tips for getting a little more out of the deal?

Wait, and then beat them up for the $1000 hold back. If you really wanna be ballsy, why not try to take a bite out of the stair step money after the hold back. Lol, any salesman that reads this is gonna wanna wring my neck. :lol:

Well, here's the follow-up:

Seacrest green 3.0R LTD, autodim mirror, alll weather floor mats, wheel locks, $25437 before tax, reg, fees.

We pick it up next Saturday.:)

Funny twist to the story (other than buying a car, over the phone, on Memorial day)- after some casual conversation, it turns out that the salesperson is a probably a distant relative of mine....small world.

Archived