LegacyGT.com

Cobb Accessport & ECUTek Info LOOK HERE FIRST!

SUBE555

Since there are tons of threads often about similar questions about the Accessport and ECUTek reflash technologies, we need a simple place to answer the most common questions. Look below for answer to some of our most frequently asked questions about both of the products, starting with the most recent.

Questions can be added below, the question and a suitable answer will be answered by either a moderator or another member and the thread will be edited to keep things as clean and concise as possible.

Jedimaster's Accessport Walkthrough

What is required for Cobb Stage 2 level?

It is highly recommended that you use a full turbo-back, but a downpipe alone is where most gains by themselves are made and essentially any aftermarket downpipe that tapers to 2.5 or 3" (most are 3" exit), and can use the existing center pipe if needed. You can use any brand of exhaust products, you don't have to use Cobb brand products. Also, any up-pipe can be used with the Stage 2 mapping, the majority of benefits however will be presented in the form of turbo response over much in power advantages. For info on turbo exhausts, consult the TECH REFERENCE.

http://homepage.mac.com/futureofx/.Pictures/LSTIHOST/LegacyTurboExhaust.jpg

Breaking in your Accessport

You shouldn't have to wait to put the Accessport on your car. As long as your car is broken in from factory break-in specs, you should be able to upload maps right away. The ECU will learn and adapt to your driving style.

Sharing your Accessport

Q. Will my AccessPORT work on multiple vehicles?

A. Yes and No. When you first initialize the AccessPORT for use on your vehicle, it will marry itself to that ECU. From that point on, it will only work on that vehicle's ECU. If you wish to use it on another compatible vehicle, you much first uninstall the AccessPORT from the original vehicle. When you purchase the AccessPORT, you are purchasing one (1) AccessECU reflash license. Thus, that license can only be used on one vehicle at a time.

http://cobbtuning.com/legacy/accessport-faq.html

Adding modifications beyond recommended parts per Accessport Stage maps...

There is a reason why Cobb recommends certain parts for certain stages. They only recommend exhaust component changes for Stage 2 (no recommended changes for Stage 1), and I believe the only parts additional to a Turbo-Back Exhaust that won't effect the tuning is an Up-Pipe with sports cat or catless and a lightened or underdriven crank pulleys.

What is the difference between a Real-Time Map and a Base Map?

If you disconnect the batt you will lose the R-T map and it will default to the base. ...Trey stated there are minor changes to the basemaps not found in the RT. So you may not be taking full advantage of the AP by only using the RT maps. (BoxerGT2.5)

Is the resistor mod needed for deleting cats?

Well, found a new issue, and talked to Perrin and Cobb about it today. It turns out that if you are going to run a turbo back exhaust system, and you have done the up-pipe on our Legacy's, that you do the 2.2K resistor mod to the up-pipe instead of leaving the EGT sensor in.

While attempting to use my cruise control, like clockwork at 15 minutes the check engine light would come on, and the cruise control light would flash and not turn off. The car gave a P0546 cel for the EGT reading being to low temperature. It turns out without any cats or reduced cats in the system, that the exhaust temperatures run much lower in the vehicle, and this throws the cell. Now for some reason it only happens when the cruise control is on.

I have done the resistor mod and now my cruise control works fine. And Cobb tuning stated that they will have that Cell turned off in future maps. This also is a very common problem with WRX and STI owners from reading other reviews on nosaic and what not. (hodgeee)

Ask the questions and you will get answers. :) Please keep the chatter down in here, want to keep it information-related as much as possible, same reason the Tech Reference sections are locked.

You can always PM or email me comments as well. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im not sure i under stand "real time maps" what exactly does that mean. being a car guy and going to school im thinking its like gm's block learn. which is where it reads the values for the o2 load and other sensors and jsut puts the car where it should be. so with the ap does that mean if your cruising down the highway on vacation it will back off all the enhanced items to a lower level making it be more efficiant? and then when u punch it to pass some one it kicks everything up and gives u the power on demand?

also i was jsut reading cobbs web site

"Up to 8 different maps can be stored on the AccessPORT for Instant Map Switching. Some examples of these maps are:

Staged Performance Maps

Valet Mode

Anti-Theft Mode

The possibilities are truly endless!"

now they only have 7 modes at this time stage one 91 octane stage 1 93 octane and stage 2 91 and 93 octane and valet anti theft and stock.

so in thery i could store all of them on the ap and switch when ever i wanted?

and on the topic of switching, can u switch on the fly?

do u need to have the ap pluged in to use the maps? if i unplug it and leave it at home will i still be running the diff map?

500th edit

how many maps can be stored on the accesport? there web site says 8 as i have stated but the pdf manual says 10 on page 6

and how many are stored in the car at one time. is it just the one u pick plust the corosponding real time map of that same one? ie stage 2 91 octane map and then also the real time stage 2 91 octane?

Something I would like to know is the maximum fuel economy I can expect to see from any of the maps available. The two maps I am most interested in would be a high performance one and a fuel economy one. Just those two would make the purchase of this device worth it to me. If I'm going to starts seeing single digit MPG numbers with it and the only way to raise it is to drive it with the stock map, then I'll have to think about that.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

You can store 6 base maps and 10 real-time maps on the AP.

I asked Cobb about a fuel economy map and the reply was "we're working on that, should be available in the near future".

The AP needs to be connected to the ECU in order to switch real-time maps but then you can remove it and the R-T map will function as long as the ECU is not reset.

I do not believe you lose anything when using a R-T map. The base map comes with program code changes, not just map data. A R-T map is apparently just map data but the features of your base map (like CEL activity, anti-knock, etc.) are still in use.

Something I would like to know is the maximum fuel economy I can expect to see from any of the maps available. The two maps I am most interested in would be a high performance one and a fuel economy one. Just those two would make the purchase of this device worth it to me. If I'm going to starts seeing single digit MPG numbers with it and the only way to raise it is to drive it with the stock map, then I'll have to think about that.

I would definitely like to hear Cobb's official response on this as well.

Very interesting.

• 3 weeks later...
1)Can you run a Base map of 93 octane and a real-time map of 91 octane?

2) Can you run a base map of version 1 and a real time map of version 1.01?

1) yes, but you should probably do the reverse, and only pick the 93 when R/T map when you know you have good fuel and you need the extra power. Thsi way if your ECU is reset it will default to the safer 91 octane.

2) You don't don't want to use 1.0 as a base because the base map also includes some program code changes, not just map data. So you want to get the latest code.

I looked on cobbs site and here and didn't see anything on what map you should initially flash your ECU with.

Is it best to flash ECU with stock map and just switch to the staged realtime maps or Flash ECU with 91 octane stage 1 map and then if you need stock applications just load the realtime map?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm thinking about getting an AP. I have a few questions:

1.) I understand that the dealer can only void your warranty if they can prove that the modifaction caused damage. I also understand that SOA is pretty tyrannical in it's liberal use of the "void" stamp. I would like to ensure that my powertrain warranty stays with me for 60k miles. I undertand that there is a limit to how many base flashes you can do, though this limit is over 100. My question is that if I get an AP, and I want to maintain complete stealth, can I just use a real-time stock setting to fool the dealership or should I reflash the base back to stock? I'm probably too worried about this, but I want to be sure no one can tell I did anything to my car. My mom paid for my car because I got full scholarship through college. She doesn't believe in certain things: (1) used cars and (2) modding cars.

2.) I ALWAYS get 93. Should I play it safe and use 91 anyways and just use 93 when I get to the track or use 93 all the time?

3.) Can the AP load a custom tune map?

4.) If I went EcuTek instead of AP, the only advantage would probably be a small amount of hp? My understanding with this is that I go to a shop that does it, they throw my car on a dyno, tune it for optimum performance and they call it a day. There's no way to flash back to stock, correct?

1) Since you are going to the dealer no more then 10 times during the warranty period, that's only a total of 20 reflashes if you do it before and after each visit. so I would play it safe and reflash to stock everytime. A "stock" base map is still not stock because Cobb alters the program code, in particular to enable the real-time map functionality

2) I would play it safe and use 91 as a base map and bump it up to 93 when you go to the track.

3) You can now buy the StreetTuner software and create your own custom maps or have your tuner do it for you. But you cannot load a map that was created by another copy of StreetTuner, it must be "married" to your AP.

4) Correct

Ok, got my AccessPort a week ago. Reflashed with base using Stage One 91 MT.

Now, I added octaine booster to bring oct up to 100. I then tried switching to real-time map Stage One 93 MT. But, when I look at current map it still shows Stage One 91 MT.

Anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks,

NGG

P.S. Even wih the base map of Stage One 91 MT I notice a considerable performance improvement.

A "stock" base map is still not stock because Cobb alters the program code, in particular to enable the real-time map functionality

This aspect is the only aspect that still concerns me.

If during the initializing process the AP reads the stock settings, and you

reflash back to STOCK...why is it not truely back to STOCK?

Also, has anybody with an AP flashed their cars back to stock and taken

their LGT to a Subaru dealer for any....say CEL's or other ECU related issues

to test the theory that the dealer's diagnostic computer CANNOT detect

the fact the ECU had been reflashed with the AP programs?

Or are we still, at this point, relying on the word of Cobb that the AP

is undetectable to the dealer's computer when flashed back to stock mode?

This aspect is the only aspect that still concerns me.

If during the initializing process the AP reads the stock settings, and you

reflash back to STOCK...why is it not truely back to STOCK?

Also, has anybody with an AP flashed their cars back to stock and taken

their LGT to a Subaru dealer for any....say CEL's or other ECU related issues

to test the theory that the dealer's diagnostic computer CANNOT detect

the fact the ECU had been reflashed with the AP programs?

Or are we still, at this point, relying on the word of Cobb that the AP

is undetectable to the dealer's computer when flashed back to stock mode?

You didn't read me correctly. I didn't say that reflashing to stock wasn't stock, I said that using a "stock" AP base map is not the same as reflashing to stock.

If you unmarry your AP from your car by reflashing the ECU to stock, then you are stock. Although there is still apossibility that SUbaru could detect that your car received some unauthorized re-flashing.

But if you're running an AP stock base map, planning to use another map using the real-time feature, your ECU is still running the Cobb AP modified code.

• 4 weeks later...

just got my AP and am confused by the manual. Step 1 says to make sure ignition is in OFF position, but steps 2 - 6 never say when to turn the ignition ON. Step 6 says to turn car OFF but no previous steps indicate when to turn car ON.

I could swear that someone else raised this issue on this forum or over at Cobb's forums but I cannot for the life of me find the thread.

can anyone with an AP clarify this? Cobb's phone is busy as usual...

I believe it went something like this: (I don’t have the manual in front of me)

Plug in AP

Connect test wires under glove box

The turn the keys to the ON/ACC position so that things light up – but do not start the engine.

Fire up the AP, select new flash new base map.. (note – before you can load up new maps on the accessport, you will have had to flash once to your car’s ECU to marry the AP to your car)

You’ll know you did it correctly if it takes about 20 minutes to finish.

Once finished disconnect the AP and the test connectors

Then I went and loaded up the latest and greatest map off of cobb’s site ( I think they’re up to 1.2 now?) and did those steps over again to reflash the base map.

to flash to a new real time map you do not need to connect the test connectors or turn the car off. (you can flash with the engine running or completely off). Disconnecting the battery terminals will automatically reset your ECU to your base map. A real time flash should take less than 1 minute to complete.

2) I would play it safe and use 91 as a base map and bump it up to 93 when you go to the track.

Why "play it safe" and use the 91 octane map instead of the 93 octane map if you have consistent access to 93 octane?

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

thanks rallisport :)

next question...

with the AccessPort i just received came a "warning" addendum separate from the manual that in bold underline state the following:

Please do not flash the ECU at a location where you cannot leave your car for an extended period of time in the unlikely event there is a problem.

after all the excitement of waiting for the AccessPort to arrive, it finally gets here and now i'm not that excited to install it anymore. :(

can someone please quell my anxiety?

thanks rallisport :)

Please do not flash the ECU at a location where you cannot leave your car for an extended period of time in the unlikely event there is a problem.

after all the excitement of waiting for the AccessPort to arrive, it finally gets here and now i'm not that excited to install it anymore. :(

can someone please quell my anxiety?

you'll be fine -- even in the event that something happens mid flash, the accessport has built in safety features that prevent any damage from happening to the ECU.

I think they mainly have that printed for liability reasons.

with that said though, i would play it safe and flash it at your house or at least somewhere, where should anything happen - you have access to a phone and can call Cobb.

However, i have yet to hear anybody experience any problems. Cobb has been doing this for a while with the legacy, and even longer with the WRX. By now they have this system down pretty good and you shouldnt need to worry at all.

now get out there and flash that ecu~!

has anyone heard anything else regarding a fuel economy map or anything like that? When I know I'm going to be doing a lot of city driving I wouldn't mind a map that detunes the motor even further if it can choke an extra 5 or 10 mpg out of it. I had plans to go over to COBB and talk to them last Friday, but my boy was sick and I wanted to keep him home.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

has anyone heard anything else regarding a fuel economy map or anything like that? When I know I'm going to be doing a lot of city driving I wouldn't mind a map that detunes the motor even further if it can choke an extra 5 or 10 mpg out of it. I had plans to go over to COBB and talk to them last Friday, but my boy was sick and I wanted to keep him home.

i know the idea has been presented to them and they have economy maps for the WRX. I'm sure they'll make one eventually.

in the meantime i'm not too worried about it, i've seen no drop in fuel economy with the AP installed, and I dont know if a few extra miles to the gallon is woth detuning the engine to me.