LegacyGT.com

Car wont start

Long story short I had coolant temperature code that i thought was being caused by a coolant leak in one of hoses. So I replaced the hose and filled the car back with coolant while burping it. Then decided to disconnect the battery to see if the code would clear, but when i connected the battery and went to start it, it wouldn't start. I got a friend to try and jump me but it wouldn't even crank over. I don't know what the problem is... any suggestions?

Since you disconnected the battery, you've initiated the security system.

There is a button or toggle switch on the left side of the steering column on the bottom of the trim. If it hasn't been dislodged, it should be there.

Hold the button and turn the key. If you have a toggle switch, push it to the next position and try the key. You may have to cycle it one or two times.

Probably your lights are going to flash and your door locks will cycle etc. Hopefully you have a remote, for it will stop this in the future. Everytime you disconnect the battery this will happen.

See cars101. com, the remote section for programming.

You need to add car stats. It will help to guide you in the future.

BTW welcome!

O.

Thank you for your help, but when I just looked under there I didn't see anything like that... I was thinking it was something along those lines but I even took the panel off and didn't see anything. The previous owner didn't give me a remote, but it does appear there used to be a security system.

the other solution is to disconnect the battery and then turn the key to run, just shy of start, and then reconnect the battery.

^ Good to know!

To OP. Not on the steering column itself, but under the dash.

O.

I found a toggle switch and a button on the bottom right of the trim, and after playing with that and trying different combinations I still got nothing. So I tried the battery thing and couldn't get that to work. I was wondering if you needed two people to do that one... Otherwise I'm clueless.

where in VA?

disconnect the battery.

turn the key all the way to start and then let go.

connect the battery.

now the car should start.

if it does not , it is not the FACTORY security system causing the issue. maybe an aftermarket unit?

or was the battery installed backwards for a bit?

did a fuse, slow blow fuse, or fusible link blow?

is there a magic ''do not start'' switch hidden under the dash?

are the battery connections clean and tight?

are the wire connections at the starter clean and tight?

is the car in P or N ? the neutral safety switch can cause headaches.

Archived