LegacyGT.com

May be going from 04 impreza to 05 LGT... Advice?

scoobyroo

Im the current owner of an automatic 2004 impreza 2.5rs with almost 93k miles. I love how reliable the car has been and how incredible it has been in the snow.. This was my first car and I always wished I had a wrx, but knew I was not a mature enough driver to have a faster car without racking up speeding tickets. I decided a few months ago I wanted a silver legacy gt limited (5mt) and would wait for the right one, with the right price to come around. It has.:wub: My reasoning is that I wanted something more sporty, but also a classy car, on the luxury side (compared to my impreza) I like the size of the legacy's and the overall feel of how solid they are. I feel i'm now mature enough as a driver to own this car without racing around in it. But I am hoping someone can tell me:

A) Things to watch out for in a LGT.. common issues with the 05's (the vehicle has 67k miles on it)

B) If I may be in over my head with this upgrade.. seeing as i've never owned a turbo car, and at this point am no gearhead. (However am surrounded by them) and am generally a fast learner.

C) Also wondering if I will be disapointed with the reliability of this car (as a turbo just seems to be one more thing that can go out)

Any advice is helpful! :confused:

Do scheduled maintenance and you'll be fine. Check maintenance records from prior owner, have a mechanic you trust inspect the car, etc. Definitely try to verify if the 30 and 60K services were done. Turbo should be fine at least up to 100K if not longer if taken care of. Timing belt should be done around 100-105K.

Any mod plans?

'05 owner as well.

Do it!!

but knew I was not a mature enough driver to have a faster car

Don't worry. OEM LGT are not very fast. Quick off the line maybe but not fast.

something more sporty, but also a classy car, on the luxury side (compared to my impreza) I like the size of the legacy's and the overall feel of how solid they are.

Sounds exactly how I would describe a LGT.

A) Things to watch out for in a LGT.. common issues with the 05's (the vehicle has 67k miles on it)

60k+ miles? Things that should be looked at:

Did it get a 60k service? (belts, fluids, hoses if needed, plugs, etc)

Brakes may be near the end of their service life

Clutch may be near the end of its service life

OEM suspension probably starting to go (rear LCA bushing probably cracked, etc)

...as others have said, banjo bolt (removal)

C) Also wondering if I will be disapointed with the reliability of this car (as a turbo just seems to be one more thing that can go out)

It sounds like you already recognize that more parts = more crap to go wrong and its really that simple isn't it? A turbo car has a few more parts to go wrong than a N/A. That being said, more than a few members have over 150k miles on their LGT and some on the original turbo.

All cars have problems - just don't buy one that is notorious for problems. As far as most mfr go, the LGT is a very reliable car.

Thanks do everyone. Haven't seen records yet, but the owner says all service was done. Waiting for confirmation, I do have a local subie guru I trust and of course will have it checked out. And get the banjo bolt removed and clean the banjo filter first thing.

Now waiting for an insurance quote.. hoping that it wont be TOO much more than my impreza... but of course its a turbo...

In that case definitely make sure it wasn't more than the two mods. Those are red flags for a car that could have been beaten on...personally my first thing I would do after buying the car is sell the intake and put the stock airbox back on. Run a learning view, maintenance records, talk to previous owner if possible...

Now waiting for an insurance quote.. hoping that it wont be TOO much more than my impreza... but of course its a turbo...

this will most likely be lower than your impreza. When i went from my WRX to my Spec B i drop $700 less. (I had points, not accquired with the WRX)

it does have a K&N cold air intake on it now and greddy exhaust.

Woah woah woah. So its TUNED? Has a DP or not? Do you know where to look? YOU DID NOT SAY THIS IN THE ORIGINAL POST.

No this will not be that reliable a car. Yes it needs brakes, brakelines, clutch and probably a new suspension.

Those are red flags for a car

x2

personally my first thing I would do after buying the car is sell the intake and put the stock airbox back on.

Because it is not doing anything for you anyway and is worth an easy $150 used on the forum.

Run a learning view

x2, would not hurt to check the tune on this car

wasnt aware of the mods in the original post.. i dont believe its been extensively modded. again, will have it all checked out by a trusted mechanic and he can tell me if anything else has been done.. i believe (again waiting for confirmation) that all this guy did was bolt on exhaust and intake.. two things even my sister did to her car. and she still drives it like a grandma and babys it. so in my mind it doesnt denote an unreliable car, but yes i do agree its a major red flag. but unless im just ignorant, as long as it hasnt had the piss run out of it, exhaust and intake aren't going to really do any significant damage to the car. not familiar with learning view.. will read up on it though.

right. that makes sense to me. but if i were to have it checked out by a trusted mechanic (which i will before buying) he would be able to tell me anything wrong (as a result of being driven harder) or other modifications that may be an issue.. correct?

Depends on your mechanic's familiarity with turbocharged Subarus. The banjo bolt check, for example, isn't something you do on most cars.

Perhaps it would help to make a list of common issues you'd like the mechanic to check for in addition to the standard checks. Personally, when I bought my used LGT I had a compression test done and I found a car with absolutely no evidence of mods. It turned out to be in decent shape.

exhaust and intake aren't going to really do any significant damage to the car. not familiar with learning view.. will read up on it though.

actually the intake can possibly do some damaged if the ecu isnt tuned for it.

an intake can mess with the MAF way past its learning curve. causing a lean condition. and running an enigne lean will run the engine hotter causing premature wear. but thats in the long run.

Even a panel filter can do it. I have an AVO and it would cause me to burn a 1/4 tank of fuel in 20 miles.

btw the stock intake can handle up to 300whp. most people do it for engine bling and the "woosh" sound.

right. that makes sense to me. but if i were to have it checked out by a trusted mechanic (which i will before buying) he would be able to tell me anything wrong (as a result of being driven harder) or other modifications that may be an issue.. correct?

While the "wrench" checks the banjo bolt, have him verify if it has a stock down pipe, and if so was it recently re-installed. The most important thing is oil changes.;)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Depends on your mechanic's familiarity with turbocharged Subarus. The banjo bolt check, for example, isn't something you do on most cars.

he is very good with n/a and turbocharged subarus. he and his son work on them frequently. i'll be sure to get the banjo bolt checked up though :lol:

oh and didnt know that about the intakes, F-WDC Spec B, good to know though. when you say in the long run... would this mean that if i were to revert to stock intake... some damage will have been done already, however its not the end of the world??

noob question alert: why specifically the stock down pipe? is that just a good indicator of other mods likely done? or does that cause specific issues?

thanks again to everyone helping me out here.

havent gotten to take another look at this specific one yet. but i did test drive another. it was love. :wub: with the LGT in general... not so much that specific one.

just come to utah and buy my 06. I have all the service records, removed banjo screens, and tune for a living. Hundreds of data logs and a great running car. Just looking for a new project $14,000

80K miles

had clutch replaced at around 60k miles

the one i was looking at just sold.. but it was also 12k not 14k lol.

i'll keep it in mind. but for the price different + oregon registration + gas cost, im not sure its quite practical.

sounds like a fantastic car though.

Archived