New Hog-zawst System!!! The sound of power! *with patented washer technology*

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What size bolts are they?

I dont recall. I just took the bolts to the hardware store with me and got similar ones.

Sent from my A70S using Tapatalk

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Yes, 3/8's will work for replacements but I think the oem ones are 10x1.25 or 8x1.25.

I just put new 10x1.25 in my mid pipe to DP. The holes are big enough just make sure you have big OD washers

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
If you are hogsausted now and want to make it sound even better, get an aftermarket downpipe. mine is catted but still gives an even better boxer rumble now. plus it will give these awesome little pop sounds while shifting at WOT. makes me cream my pants every time

If you are hogsausted now and want to make it sound even better, get an aftermarket downpipe. mine is catted but still gives an even better boxer rumble now. plus it will give these awesome little pop sounds while shifting at WOT. makes me cream my pants every time

Let me tell you, this man knows. The stock DP w/cat really quiets things down. I removed all 3 cats from my car - and the pops and snaps were wicked.

Loved it. I can't believe it's been 3 years since I sold my Legacy. Even my mom has a Legacy...and I don't. I should try to pick up a cheap one. I need a hobby...

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

search the forum, I think there is. But really, if you can take the DP off, the cats are just a hammer and chisel away. They just fall out. So easy.

Actually, it is even easier than this... all you need is to remove the mid-pipe. With the mid-pipe removed I used a long piece of rebar and a hammer and broke the cat out of there from the bottom end, with the downpipe on the car. The downpipe cat is ceramic and as hogmeat says, comes out easily. The whole thing won't take long doing it this way. I suggest you also monitor your tune after you do this, things will change and you may overboost, for example.

Don't do the up-pipe, is my advice. I did, and have the scars. It is not only a bitch to remove (along with all the cat-retention hardware), since it is metallic, but more importantly a failure to be perfect can cost you a turbo or an engine. Either get a factory catless up-pipe or AM... but do not gut the stocker.

Definately impressed for the cheap time and materials, I've had my Spec B for about 2 months now and been thinking about this mod....

Finally I gave in and decided what do I have to lose besides an "exhaust leak"... The bolts I do have to agree are a biatch but just used a cheater bar and it worked out fine.

Sounds great!!

Thanks!

I'm Back, After going stage 2 with the catless up/dp the car was to loud without mufflers. So I put them back on about this time last year. Couple of months ago I put a vf52 on the 05 wagon and had the car dynoed and tuned. I didn't have a gaskets between the mufflers and Mid pipe. I had a small leak there. So now at 21psi with the new turbo, I decided to put 2 washers on each bolt in between the mufflers and Mid pipe to stop the little leak.

Car sounds much better now.

My 09 Spec B at stage 1 still has no mufflers. It sound great too.

Using the 1/2 impact gun, the nut's come off the bolts before you can pull and release the trigger. Air tools are great.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm Back, After going stage 2 with the catless up/dp the car was to loud without mufflers. So I put them back on about this time last year. Couple of months ago I put a vf52 on the 05 wagon and had the car dynoed and tuned. I didn't have a gaskets between the mufflers and Mid pipe. I had a small leak there. So now at 21psi with the new turbo, I decided to put 2 washers on each bolt in between the mufflers and Mid pipe to stop the little leak.

Car sounds much better now.

My 09 Spec B at stage 1 still has no mufflers. It sound great too.

Using the 1/2 impact gun, the nut's come off the bolts before you can pull and release the trigger. Air tools are great.

Exactly.

• 1 month later...
Before I put this mod on a couple of weeks ago, I read a good few posts in this thread mentioning that it negatively affected their gas mileage. I didn't believe it then, but I do now. I went from 22mpg average to 19 on my past couple of tanks after going Stage 2 Hogzaust, and I even tried going light on the gas pedal. I like the sound but might take it off for the extra 3mpg, and confirm if the Hogzaust really is the cause.

Before I put this mod on a couple of weeks ago, I read a good few posts in this thread mentioning that it negatively affected their gas mileage. I didn't believe it then, but I do now. I went from 22mpg average to 19 on my past couple of tanks after going Stage 2 Hogzaust, and I even tried going light on the gas pedal. I like the sound but might take it off for the extra 3mpg, and confirm if the Hogzaust really is the cause.

Hohzaust is not the cause, your heavy foot and ear is the cause!;)

• 4 months later...

I think I may be the first to report a Hog-Zawst failure :eek:

Turns out after about 3 years, and awesome Canadian winters, the hardware holding the muffler to the Y-pipe finally failed!

I don't blame Hog-Zawst...I blame the operator (me). Why buy cheap hardware?

Anyways, 5 min run to the store...$3 later and Hog-Zawst is fixed. Again with the same cheap hardware, but the way I see it, this will buy me another 2 years :rolleyes:

This time I upgraded to stage 3 rather than the mediocre stage 2 I had previously = AWESOME :wub:

hogzawst1_final.thumb.jpg.48b2651633cfe94295d74b74bf33a016.jpg

hogzawst2_final.jpg.1118a75c136417337c60a382eb392b90.jpg

hogzawst3_final.jpg.43c08dac5586647afdfb8ab405b402a3.jpg