LegacyGT.com

Vibration 65-80 MPH

My wife's 05 LGT wagon 5mt(132k) has an intermittent vibration 65-80MPH. Our first step was rotating/balance tires (35k Conti DWS) and no change.

What else should I be looking for??? She simply speeds up to 80 MPH.

My wife took an iPod video of it if that helps any.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXs51fl4TLQ&t=9s]Legacy gt vibration - YouTube[/ame]

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i would check rotors, before you get into the expensive stuff. i did quite a few things and last week my mechanic looked at my car and found out my rotors where out of round due to rust from the crappy cast iron rotors on our cars. Unfortunately i didnt get to change the rotors due to the incompetency from a certain store as they got me wrx rotors when i specifically asked for leggy gt.

I actually have the exact same issue, same mileage. My wheels haven't been balanced/rotated recently so I can't rule that out. But I did get an alignment and replaced my worn rotors and that helped but didn't solve it. Also at 125k miles I had to replace my driveshaft which was causing intense vibration above 40 mph.

Another thing to check is a partially frozen front caliper piston. usually one of the two on one side won't fully retract which will cause a vibration like that in the steering wheel. Happened to me twice.

• Moderators

Why are brake/rotor issues being brought up if the issue is only occuring at 65-80 mph. Stuck caliper I could understand, but I think there would be other symptoms of that as well.

I'm in the 'bent wheel' camp. A slight bend may be producing a harmonic type vibration that is evidenced most strongly at the speeds you indicate. The balancing machine likely isn't replicating these speeds so it's also not replicating the harmonic motion. Your wife hit any potholes recently?

You could try rotating tires to see if the vibrations moves from the wheel (problem in the front) to the seat (problem in the rear). Worth a shot since it's essentially free.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

You could try rotating tires to see if the vibrations moves from the wheel (problem in the front) to the seat (problem in the rear). Worth a shot since it's essentially free.

Balancing & Rotation were first attempt at fixing. No change.

Is there any difference on the amount it vibrates when you rotate? I have either a bent rim or out-of-round tire and it does something similar. It vibrates from the rear when on the back but there is a noticeable difference from when it's on the front.

Balancing & Rotation were first attempt at fixing. No change.

What kind of balancing was done? I ask because my first 3 sets on various cars I used to get the regular 'computer balance' and I always had a horrible imbalance between 70-80mph on every vehicle.

The last 4 sets of tires I have gotten I've had them Road Force Balanced with the Hunter GSP9700 balancing machine. I never needed a re-balance during the entire life of any of those tires.

do u have any dirt built up on the inside of your rim? cause if u do it will throw it off balance and cause it vibrate. it happened to me and i only noticed it at freeway speeds it got to the point where i let go of the steering wheel and watch it shake back and forth

OK I think I'm having this too. It's very intermittent and at random speeds when it does show up, then out of nowhere is just goes away. Doesn't show up again for weeks sometimes.

I'm going the caliper route as when it happened the other day I pulled over right away and there was a LOT of heat coming from the passenger front wheel.

• 8 months later...

I have the same problem now, after the dealer put in some new control arm bushings. The vibrations were ever so slight before this work, and after I put on new wheels and tires, rotors and pads in Nov, were almost non-existent.

But, after the bushing install this past Feb, the steering wheel has been shaking hard at speeds over 50mph. Sometimes they seem to get worse as I move through slight corners at high speed, and sometimes they seem to go away for a short period of time.

I took the car back and they checked the wheel tire balance and alignment again. The service advisor said that I have a aftermarket pads, rotors and rims so they aren't liable. The tech wrote on the reciept that its possible I have a bad CV axle or wheel bearing.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Al

What was the fix for this? Easy?

If you know how to do brakes and/or are mechanically inclined...yes it was easy relative to working on a car.

THE biggest pain in the ass I had is finding the right part replacement part being I didn't want to buy a BBK. I found many sites listing the 2.5i caliper upgrade available with dual pistons as the replacement for the OEM caliper on the GT. They are not the same because the rotor diameter of the GT is larger.

I'm now having exactly the same issue, and it's the opposite side. I shoulda done BOTH when I did one!! :spin:

A tell tale symptom of it being the caliper is... Pull over soon after or while it's happening.. feel your wheel. Mine got VERY hot, I didn't even have to touch the wheel to be able to tell it was getting crazy hot which = sticking caliper.

Archived