LegacyGT.com

AAHHH! They ruined the finish on my car!!(can I fix it?)

Code MOnkey

So on Saturday I made the mistake of letting a bunch of kids who said they where raising money for a trip to Mexico wash my car instead of doing it myself like I planned; big mistake :(

So now I've got a bunch of swirls and some worse scratches on my car. What can I do to reverse some of the damage?

scratch.jpg.1aaf73098f5e074f343b5f24080a89ab.jpg

swirl.jpg.74ac16c122a1ad2f0665e4b6cba6c9a7.jpg

yea usually i just donate the money and not get the car washed both people come out happy

Ya, I think I'm gonna do that next time too.

Eldiablo, when you say maching polish do you mean like an ait tool with a buffing wheel?

Also, I didn't notice there was a seperate detailing forum; my bad, can a mod please move this thread? :)

Sue the little brats for 10 times the money they raised that day :p

Hah! They just learned about American capitalism(raising money through car wash) now they can learn about American kulture(getting sued by some jerk):rolleyes:.

Seriously though, what kind of buffing compound do you use to get rid of light swirl marks like these?

Hah! They just learned about American capitalism(raising money through car wash) now they can learn about American kulture(getting sued by some jerk):rolleyes:.

Sub is Canadian what do you expect?

Seriously though, what kind of buffing compound do you use to get rid of light swirl marks like these?

Hire a pro figure ~$100

yea usually i just donate the money and not get the car washed both people come out happy

+1---------0000000000000000000000000000000000000

No good deed goes unpunished:eek:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Click the link below from OCD's website and scroll down for info on polishing out swirls. A random orbital like the Porter Cable will be required. Looks too bad to remove by hand.

http://www.ocdetails.com/html/detailing_guide.html

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

don't machine polish a subaru finish unless you know what you're doing.

you have to go slow and be careful.

the clearcoat and paint are thin

True about clearcoat and paint... if you use a random orbital you should be fine. I removed some similar swirls last week with no issues. After several failed attempts to remove them by hand, the random orbital did the trick easily (and safely).

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

don't machine polish a subaru finish unless you know what you're doing.

you have to go slow and be careful.

the clearcoat and paint are thin

I'm having a professional to take care of it on Monday so I won't make it worse, my LGT's worth it ;)

Don't fret.

My daughter picked up a rock and started drawing pictures on the hood and front quarter panel of my wife's car just last month.

A cheap-O 8" electric buffer with some Meguire's polish and wax (2 step) took those Picasso renderings right out.

But I had to laugh when I read your post. NEVER trust some silly fund-raiser kids to wash your car properly at the gas station.

Their intentions are good but their skills are not.

Have you seen how many times they just drop rags on the dirty pavement, pick them up and continue dragging them across the cars? Ouch!

I have had great results with Novus plastic polish. It was recommended to me by a detailer. Some auto detailers carry it, but also check a boat shop, as many boaters swear by it. Start with the #2 fine scratch remover, (red label), instead of the #3 heavy scratch remover (green label). I have only ever needed #3 once or twice. I've found other uses for #2. Taillamp scratches, for one. http://www.novuspolish.com/

Good luck!

"Make your car work better or go faster. Do that, or it's Bling. Bling is not fast. Bling is added weight. So Bling is Sh!t." - Tom Hnatiw, Car Guy

Archived