LegacyGT.com

Just had my car inspected, and now the windshield is cracked! Grr! Question:

What's the deal with transferring the inspection sticker? I had the windshield replaced once before, and the guy said he really wasn't supposed to, but he transferred the sticker to the new glass for me.

It probably happened when I heard a rock hit my car yesterday, though it may have been there prior, can't be sure. It's completely below the line of sight, and actually below the windshield wiper, so I don't know if it's worth replacing the windshield.

The crack starts at the bottom, comes up to just below the wiper and runs horizontal, and then goes back down to the bottom. So, I don't know if it'll propagate any further. Unfortunately, I think my policy requires me to pay the comprehensive deductible for windshield replacement - that's what I remember from the last time I had it done anyway.

What'dya think? Worth worrying about?

IMG11923.thumb.jpg.400e4dd874f4867d51cf40c948c4bb52.jpg

talk to your insurance, some companies fix windshields for free w/o having to pay the deductible.

If not, you could just wait to see if it grows. My friend had a crack in that same area for at least a year or 2 cuz he doesn't have comprehensive.

You will need to replace it for your next inspection. I would wait until your current inspection is up, that way you don't run the risk of cracking it again before the next inspection
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

When I lived in Mass they put my inspection sticker from my broken windshield to my new windshield no problem. Surprising that they'd be reluctant to do that, unless it makes the sticker look suspicious?

Apparently Pennsylvania requires that the old sticker be retained from the old windshield and turned in for a replacement, which is an unnecessary pain in the butt imo.

I guess I'll just leave it for now, as it's below the line of sight and who knows when the next rock will find my windshield on the highway...

(1) A person replacing or repairing a windshield in a manner that requires removal of a certificate of inspection shall, at the option of the registrant of the vehicle, cut out the portion of the windshield containing the certificate of inspection and deliver it to the registrant of the vehicle or destroy the certificate. The vehicle may be driven up to 5 days if it displays the portion of the old windshield containing the certificate. Within the 5-day period, an official inspection station may affix to the vehicle another certificate of inspection for the same period without reinspecting the vehicle in exchange for the portion of the old windshield containing the certificate of inspection. Example: A #1 certificate of inspection shall be replaced with a #1 certificate of inspection. The replacement may be made any time prior to the expiration of the certificate of inspection. A fee of no more than $2 plus the fee paid to the Department for the certificate may be charged for exchanging the certificate of inspection.

Just curious, anyone feel like the Subaru windshields crack more easily than some others? This will be my third windshield when I do replace this one. On my old Saturn, I put 220k miles on the car and never had to replace the windshield. It had its share of small rock hits, and it had surface nicks, but it never cracked.

Archived