LegacyGT.com

Carbotech XP8 alternative?

Hugo L.

I'm currently running Carbotech XP8 pads. Awesome, awesome brake pads.

I had Hawk HP+ for a while, and hated them. No cold biting power, took forever to heat up, and would cool down way too fast.

However, my Carbotechs are now a year and a half old, and, well, that's pretty much how long brakes last for me, so they'll soon be due to be changed.

However, they squeal like there's no tomorrow.

Do you guys recommend a decent, more «discrete» alternative?

For the record, I don't really care about the squealing, but driving slowly in a nice, picturesque city with the gf and having the brakes squeal all the time gets old (for her) fast.

TIA

I run HP+ for street and track and don't have the problems you do. Was your description in regards to tracking or daily driving? Anyways, XP8's are track pads, are you expecting them to behave well for the street?

I would advise to run the carbotech's for the track, and a street pad for the street. If you intend to run a track pad on the street, expect some noise.

If you want an alternative to the XP8's for the track, you might want to try Hawks' DTC-70.

I've been debating between the Hawk HPS and the Stop Techs. The Carbotechs are sounding like a good option as well though. I definitely need something will cold bite as well as decent resistance to fading when doing occasional wot pulls. A few stops from high speed and the stock setup gets pretty shaky and that's mostly what I want to avoid.

I don't track my car, never have, don't plan to either.

For a so-called track pad, the XP8s are awesome on the street. They seem to get to operational temps quickly enough, and provide a lot of bite even when cold.

I'm not going back to Hawk HP of any kind.

I don't track my car, never have, don't plan to either.

For a so-called track pad, the XP8s are awesome on the street. They seem to get to operational temps quickly enough, and provide a lot of bite even when cold.

I'm not going back to Hawk HP of any kind.

If that's the case, I would recommend anything lower on the spectrum from carbotech (e.g. AX6 or bobcats). See http://www.ctbrakes.com/brake-compounds.asp for more info on their compounds.

If you do not track your car I wouldn't suggest running XP-8's. They are a track pad (not a very aggressive track pad but still a track pad).

The carbotech bobcats are a good street pad and the AX-6's are a good aggressive street pad which is what I recommend to you. The XP-8's have a higher operating temperature than street pads; therefore, when running them on the street when they don't get hot they will wear faster and eat your rotors faster than a street pad will...but they will stop fast.

- Joe

If you do not track your car I wouldn't suggest running XP-8's. They are a track pad (not a very aggressive track pad but still a track pad).

The carbotech bobcats are a good street pad and the AX-6's are a good aggressive street pad which is what I recommend to you. The XP-8's have a higher operating temperature than street pads; therefore, when running them on the street when they don't get hot they will wear faster and eat your rotors faster than a street pad will...but they will stop fast.

- Joe

I'm fine with that, because stopping fast is what I like.

However, I might give a try to the AX6.

Archived