LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy - 2.5i Peppiness

Hi all,

Looking at buying a 2005 Legacy Sedan for my wife and had a question I'd throw out regarding the peppiness of the engine. (Unfortunately, not the GT model.)

Test Drives So Far

• 2005 Legacy Sedan Limited - Had 176k miles, totally stock as far as I know, car was really peppy, especially when compared to a V6 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee I normally drive. Car in great shape, but higher mileage than we'd like.
  • 2005 Legacy Outback Wagon - Had 120k miles, all stock. Seemed somewhat sluggish compared to the Legacy Sedan. I attributed this to the extra weight of the wagon. Wife doesn't care for the wagon as well so we nixed it.
  • 2005 Legacy Sedan 2.5i - Had 122k miles, all stock. Leading front runner at the moment. I actually thought it was closer to the Wagon vs. the Sedan in terms of acceleration. This threw me for a loop and I'm sure my wife will say something when she test drives it. With the limited version, you tap the accelerator and it had some go.

Any ideas on the differences? I thought the engines were the same. Didn't expect the Limited to feel so different, especially with 50K more miles. Whatever I buy, I plan on taking to a local Subaru mechanic to get a once over. Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Greg

Is the limited the 2.5i or the 2.5GT?

2.5i, 2.5GT were the engine options in 2005, while base vs limited were trim level options. Of course, there was also the 3.0R OUTBACK sedan, which is basically a lifted Legacy. And, eventually, regular Legacy was available with an H6, but I think only in limited trim.

A base 2.5i should be faster than a 2.5i limited because it's weighs less. A 3.0R will be faster than either because it's got more power.

I would make the blanket statement of avoiding them. Higher mileage cars are going to naturally have more wear items need replacement than their younger counterparts. You have to expect that going into it. Provided the car was well-maintained, the should be nothing to worry about. The one with 176k is getting up there, but 120k miles is not that bad. Especially since they are the non-turbo models, so they are a bit more forgiving of lapses in routine work (although not immune to lackluster care).

Heck, I bought my 2006 GT with 100,xxx miles on it. Sure, I've had to replace things are are going to wear out, but which the exception of the turbo it's all to be expected (and even the turbo is kinda expected I guess). I take it as a chance to replace the old parts with better parts, slowly upgrading the performance as I go. The engine and chassis are in fantastic shape, and for a MI car the rust is extremely minimal. No body rust, never had any bolts give me issues (besides heat shield bolts).

OP - If the cars are in good shape, and you like them, go for it! Just make sure you won't regret the non-turbo down the road. 2.5i --> 2.5GT upgrade is very expensive as a retrofit.

I would make the blanket statement of avoiding them. Higher mileage cars are going to naturally have more wear items need replacement than their younger counterparts. You have to expect that going into it. Provided the car was well-maintained, the should be nothing to worry about. The one with 176k is getting up there, but 120k miles is not that bad. Especially since they are the non-turbo models, so they are a bit more forgiving of lapses in routine work (although not immune to lackluster care).

Heck, I bought my 2006 GT with 100,xxx miles on it. Sure, I've had to replace things are are going to wear out, but which the exception of the turbo it's all to be expected (and even the turbo is kinda expected I guess). I take it as a chance to replace the old parts with better parts, slowly upgrading the performance as I go. The engine and chassis are in fantastic shape, and for a MI car the rust is extremely minimal. No body rust, never had any bolts give me issues (besides heat shield bolts).

OP - If the cars are in good shape, and you like them, go for it! Just make sure you won't regret the non-turbo down the road. 2.5i --> 2.5GT upgrade is very expensive as a retrofit.

Thanks for the reply ras06LGT. I agree… 10 years ago I'd be nervous buying a car with 120k on it. They've gotten much better, especially the imports. My wife has a 2010 Rogue S that she leased and it expires in Jan. We just opened our own business so the last thing we want is another loan. She likes the feeling of all-wheel drive so we gravitated towards Subaru. Her commute is only a few miles each way.

I've been trying to educate myself on what to look for and reliability issues. Kinda staying away from the GT's for that reason. She'll be the one driving it, not me. I think the biggest issue seems to be head gaskets on the 2.5 liter engines. Still, I'm amazed at how much high mileage Subaru's are selling for. They're highly sought after in the North East.

Greg

Still, I'm amazed at how much high mileage Subaru's are selling for. They're highly sought after in the North East.

Greg

That's the Subaru snow tax. You may consider expanding your search range. In general, you'll find better, less rusty, less expensive Subarus further south. It may be worth the time and hassle, even if it means flying out to pick it up and driving it back. Of course, from the cars you're looking at, I'm guessing the price range is just a few thousand, so ymmv.

Thanks for the reply ras06LGT. I agree… 10 years ago I'd be nervous buying a car with 120k on it. They've gotten much better, especially the imports. My wife has a 2010 Rogue S that she leased and it expires in Jan. We just opened our own business so the last thing we want is another loan. She likes the feeling of all-wheel drive so we gravitated towards Subaru. Her commute is only a few miles each way.

I've been trying to educate myself on what to look for and reliability issues. Kinda staying away from the GT's for that reason. She'll be the one driving it, not me. I think the biggest issue seems to be head gaskets on the 2.5 liter engines. Still, I'm amazed at how much high mileage Subaru's are selling for. They're highly sought after in the North East.

Greg

Subi just mailed me imprezza's for $139/month lease. Lease it under your business, avoid the personal cost and based on the short drive 10-12k miles should be plenty.

If you're worried about cash flow. Tuck your $10k you might spend on a near the end of it's life purchase for the months your new business cannot afford the lease payment.

In addition, if you are even slightly mechanically inclined you can do basic service work yourself and save a good deal of money on labor fees. This site has excellent walkthroughs for the most of the common (and some uncommon) repairs and service.

Personally I would skip AWD in your budget range and buy a nice FWD vehicle she likes and equip with four winter tires mounted on steel rims(check tirerack.com). In Stoneham you'll get through anything with FWD/winter tires unless steep driveway or deep snow.

That's the Subaru snow tax. You may consider expanding your search range. In general, you'll find better, less rusty, less expensive Subarus further south. It may be worth the time and hassle, even if it means flying out to pick it up and driving it back. Of course, from the cars you're looking at, I'm guessing the price range is just a few thousand, so ymmv.

I wish it was a few thousand. Trying to keep it under 6k. Overall, Subaru seems to hold it's value, especially up here. I have looked farther south, but they're not as popular, especially the 2.5i sedans. Just look at the prices around Boston.

We thought about the lease route, but I'm not a huge fan of them for several reasons. I'll spare the details since I don't want to get too off topic.

We have looked at some front wheel drive cars (Nissan Altimas, Honda Accords, etc.). The idea is that this will last her for 2-4 years until we can get something she really wants (probably another Rogue).

Greg

Mass air flow sensor, spark plugs, air filter, all these can be dirty or worn and cause a lack of power. All easily fixed.

Thanks for the info Leviman. I thought about plugs and a high flow air filter, but didn't think of the mass air flow sensor.

Greg

In my experience living in the rust belt the running gear of a car generally outlasts a neglected body. If a car has been rustproofed from new and refreshed every year or two, it'll outlast one that has not been cared for to the same extent. Its not just cosmetic either. Underbody rustproofing will protect many, many components. Think anything electrical, brake lines, nuts and bolts, suspension, anchors. In short, a lot of things that add up to a decision to ditch a vehicle as repairs become too costly.

Well… my wife and I were going to go with the Legacy with 122k. The dealer brought it to our mechanic to have it looked over. Turned out the head gasket is leaking. The search continues...

As a general rule I've found cars at 120K that I've not owned since near new are typically at the end of their lives.

Have you considered a Rav4?

If we found the right one, sure... Worse case scenario, I give her my 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I'll take whatever. I'm not as picky and would rather her have the more dependable car.

Greg

I think one in your budget would be the 'right one' darn things are rock solid reliable.

That said there seems to be a major miss for me here:

1. Budget

2. Short drive

3. Picky

4. Reliable

5. Subaru

I don't think all 5 of those things is supported with a $10K budget. If it was my wife we'd be talking about what can and cannot be bought worth owning. I'd explain how 120-150K isn't an ideal car purchase and try to get her into something lower mileage.

Heck the last car I bought for my then wife I just gave it to her after researching. I listened to everything she wanted, went out and bought something. It was more car then she was expecting and sure enough it worked.

Maybe just biting the bullet for her and not involving her a lot in the process would be easier.

That said something else doesn't make sense. From a pure numbers game.

2014 Legacy Lease

$2k at signing

$189/month for 36 months

Total:$8,804

Factor in a few other items and it's actually the best option if you have to meet ALL your requirements. As I noted owning a high mileage car wasn't a need.

If at the end of the lease you don't want to keep the car, hopefully business in 3 years affords a nicer purchase. If business isn't great it was only a $21K car and you could likely keep leasing or buy it for not much of a headache.

Archived