LegacyGT.com

Heads milled under spec? EJ25D

but imo, one gaskets should be just as good as the next

this was not true in 1999 when the the first head gaskets started going bad. fel pros would not do the job because they were making the ej25 gaskets just like the ej22 gaskets.

today however they have change the design of the head gaskets and they maybe good enough. but subaru gaskets are not more expensive, less than some in fact. the wholesale cost of the subaru gaskets at the dealer is about 75$, gaskets only. online is a little cheaper but you have to pay shipping.

so why buy any brand except subaru.?

but different folks have different opinions. each to his own.

and if the machine shop does not know what the specs are for your head i wouldn't let them touch the heads and go somewhere else. and absolutely not take their advice on head gaskets.

this was not true in 1999 when the the first head gaskets started going bad. fel pros would not do the job because they were making the ej25 gaskets just like the ej22 gaskets.

today however they have change the design of the head gaskets and they maybe good enough. but subaru gaskets are not more expensive, less than some in fact. the wholesale cost of the subaru gaskets at the dealer is about 75$, gaskets only. online is a little cheaper but you have to pay shipping.

so why buy any brand except subaru.?

but different folks have different opinions. each to his own.

and if the machine shop does not know what the specs are for your head i wouldn't let them touch the heads and go somewhere else. and absolutely not take their advice on head gaskets.

The FelPro gasket set was about $150 shipped. That includes both head gaskets, and all of the gaskets I need after that. It was normally $200 but I used a coupon code and got $50 off plus free shipping. So I could've had JUST the Subaru head gaskets from the dealer for the same price, but I would've ended up paying more for the other gaskets (which some I did need). The FelPro head gaskets are all Multi-Layered Steel and I looked up the torque specs for them on FelPro's website. They SHOULD work fine.

My main concern atm is making sure they have a good surface to lay on. I really need to know how much material they can take off before the pistons start to get too familiar with the head... I have faith in these gaskets, but it's all for nothing if the piston knocks into the head and causes irreversible damage.

So if the clearance is good, no problem. If it's not, I need to mill the piston heads. Does that sound reasonable?

You can get Cometic MLS head gaskets in custom thickness directly from them for a bit of an upcharge. That would be a solution if they're milled too much. Specs per the FSM are:

Warping limit: 0.035 mm (0.0014 in)

Grinding limit: 0.3 mm (0.012 in)

Standard height of cylinder head: 127.5 mm (5.02 in)

this.

Plus. The phase one engines don't have pistons that come up over the deck. So the only thing you gotta worry about is valves. And the valves do not get THAT close to the pistons that a simple decking would cause problems

Plus. Felpro head gaskets. I used them on a motor I didn't get decked and its holding up fine. Over 1000 miles so far.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using TapaTalk 2

Plus. The phase one engines don't have pistons that come up over the deck. So the only thing you gotta worry about is valves. And the valves do not get THAT close to the pistons that a simple decking would cause problems

Plus. Felpro head gaskets. I used them on a motor I didn't get decked and its holding up fine. Over 1000 miles so far.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using TapaTalk 2

Not true the ej25d has pistons that go above the deck, that is the reason for the ungodly thick headgasket. The phase II motors do not go above the deck.

ej25d has pistons that go above the deck, that is the reason for the ungodly thick headgasket. The phase II motors do not go above the deck.

This is true. I used a phase1 bottom end in my Impreza. The pistons will enter the headgasket about 0.5mm, OEM gaskets measure close to 1mm. Pistons have a bit of room for valve clearance.

Not true the ej25d has pistons that go above the deck, that is the reason for the ungodly thick headgasket. The phase II motors do not go above the deck.

This is true. I used a phase1 bottom end in my Impreza. The pistons will enter the headgasket about 0.5mm, OEM gaskets measure close to 1mm. Pistons have a bit of room for valve clearance.

So you guys are telling me that the piston could hit the gasket? The guy at the machine shop told me that FelPro's EJ25D MLS gasket is bad because the piston will hit it. :icon_conf

If this IS the case, can I just mill the piston heads down so they don't come above the deck? haha

Also, they took 0.004 in off of my heads. If the grinding limit is 0.012, then I'm good right? There's nothing else I have to account for?

Felpros are perfectly fine, I have used them myself with no issues. OEM and felpro are the same type of gasket and for the most part they look identical.

Some machine shops refuse to give you a warranty if they use parts supplied by the customer, it is just to cover their a$$. Probably why he was trying to get you to use his gaskets. I would not use anything but the felpros you have or OEM.

Archived