LegacyGT.com

Surging power under acceleration

a89aries

Recently I've noticed my Legacy has been surging when going up through 3rd gear. I hold the pedal in the same position (30-45%) and you can feel the car surging slightly in the lower RPM level. Once it goes past about 3200 or so RPM the power seems to level out into normal acceleration again. :confused:

I had a passenger in the car over the weekend who backed me up so I know I'm not crazy.

Any ideas?

Alex

ive been having a problem similar to this. when i give a heavy push on the throttle in low rpms up to about 2500rpm, it sometimes jerks and almost sputters a little bit. im not sure what it is, but it hasnt happened before.

I've never changed the filter since I owned the vehicle (90'000km), I suppose it couldn't hurt to do it. Going to call the dealer now to see if they have the part.

EDIT: They have them on the shelf, going to swap it after work. Will update if it changes anything.

Think I might have found it guys!

I figured I would run the codes today at lunch & the knock sensor code came up. It all makes sense now! Sensor is reading wrong, knocks back the timing giving me my weird hesitation. Time to order a new sensor! :spin:

see http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112473&highlight=knock+sensors

I replaced my knock sensor with a 680K resistor (cost under 10 cents). Subs are strong motors. There's too many worriers out there. All the knock sensor does is substitute for modern day ignorance of how motors work by retarding the spark to compensate for low quality fuel and poor driver education. You can modify your driving technique to do the same thing. Use your ears and listen to the motor. It will tell you what fuel to use and when to change gear to alter the rev range. Did 300Km with this setup. Ran it very hard on 91 octane. Never had a problem.

Archived