LegacyGT.com

Plug n Play Aux-in mod for 2005 6cd radios

jazzymt

Actually, I focused on aux-in because it can also be used for many non-mp3 devices. Specifically, I'm using XM radio in my car, which was officially the first thing for one of these boards to be hooked up to :D Also, others have hooked up Nav & carputers. I wanted to use a term as general as possible, although admittedly, I could still probably get more sales by focusing purely on the iPod consumer.
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I 100% agree. I think the Apple iPod is a well made product, that works well (my sister has one), but I' totally against the iTunes proprietary download format...not to mention the big fat price tag you pay for the trendy device. I hope Steve Jobs and company has to pay out big time to the "real" Apple, as in Apple Records....

<rant>

This may be a bit off topic but I wanted to thank Jazzy for not calling this an "iPod connector, or iPod input mod, or iPod something.." I can't stand it when people use the iPod as a blanket term for mp3 players. I've had a hard drive based mp3 player since my 4gb Archos many years ago and I would never consider an iPod. They're great little fashion accessories that Apple has marketed the hell out of and they are well designed but I think I’m going to punch the next person who tells me their aftermarket radio has an iPod hookup when it’s just an aux in. Flame suit activated…

</rant>

Wow, you're a noob!

Kidding aside, you don't need iTunes - I've got over 1800 songs on my iPod, never used iTunes to install any of it.

I ripped my own collectio onto MP3 format and uploaded them all using Ephpod, a free piece of software. Later on I paid for Anapod Explorer 'cos it rocks!

lol! cmon now, deal with it!

Why do most people call glass cleaner "Windex"?

...photo copies "Xerox's"?

...tissues "Kleenex"?

silly wabbit

... or acetaminophen "Tylenol"?

... or ibuprofen "Advil"

The list goes on, of course...

Anyway, as to what Claw said - I agree. My wife has an Ipod as well, and we use Winamp with the MLIpod plugin... no issues at all, and about as much functionality as the iTunes software.

Incidentally, I read an article about battery life online a while ago - did you know that iPod (and other players) can get about 10% improved battery life by using non-DRMed MP3 files? Makes sense, since there is less work to de-DRM them when playing... all the more reason to switch to MP3 instead of the AAC/WMA formats.

hey jazzy -

I received the board and successfully installed it along with the HarmonKardon Drive + Play. It sounds fragging fantastic, and the HK controls make it a joy to use.

One small problem which is entirely unrelated to the install, but I thought I'd ask here since there are a bunch of people mucking around with the guts of their dash on this board:

Today, the red backlight on my stereo went out along with the two little lights that are plugged into the ash tray + cigarette lighter next to the shifter (I actually removed that assembly to make way for my HK Drive+Play screen and snipped the wires from the cig lighter to supply the HK drive + play.

:iam:

MUCH to my annoyance, I can't find or even buy a 2006 subaru outback service manual, so I'm sort of forced to rely on the dipshits at the dealership, who of course want to charge me for any help.

Any idea of where I should look?

I'm thinking this is either a blown fuse (but the HK Drive+play sips less than 2 amps, so I don't think I've overloaded the circuit?!) or something really esoteric.

That all three lights went out at the same time smells of some specific issues, but I don't really see exactly what would do it.

Anyway - thanks for the board, worked like a charm and the directions were by and large very good. You should amend the tools list to include some wooden clay tools (perfect for prying trim without scratching it) and mention that you will need a wide variety of phillips screwdrivers not just "a" phillips screwdriver. I used everything from a jewelry size up to a big honker for the center console screws.

OH - does anyone know how the hell you get the center console to snap back into those little round plastic pieces in the front? I have tried and tried but I can't figure out how to get them back in.

thanks,

_a

Today, the red backlight on my stereo went out along with the two little lights that are plugged into the ash tray + cigarette lighter next to the shifter (I actually removed that assembly to make way for my HK Drive+Play screen and snipped the wires from the cig lighter to supply the HK drive + play.

That all three lights went out at the same time smells of some specific issues, but I don't really see exactly what would do it.

Yea, I'd have to agree, but I don't know what it could be. I would think a fuse would knock out the whole radio. You only lost illumination right? Not the whole display? Maybe the illumination pin on your radio is loose?
MUCH to my annoyance, I can't find or even buy a 2006 subaru outback service manual, so I'm sort of forced to rely on the dipshits at the dealership, who of course want to charge me for any help.
Vacation Pics might help relax you.
OH - does anyone know how the hell you get the center console to snap back into those little round plastic pieces in the front? I have tried and tried but I can't figure out how to get them back in.
Did you slide them out horizontally, or did you pop them out vertically? I just took mine apart again (like the umpteenth time I've had my dash apart) to install subwoofer amp wires and after popping it up, I just lined it up and a good "technical tap" seated it back in. It doesn't take much - perhaps your pins are out of alignment? If you slid it backwards, I'm afraid I don't know how to get it back in - several others have reported problems with this method.
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

If you're not powering the MP3 player in any way by the car, a GLI is completely unnecessary.

D'OH! I Wish you'd said this before I bought my just-in-case GLI.

Maybe add it to the FAQ or the top page of the thread?

D'OH! I Wish you'd said this before I bought my just-in-case GLI.

Maybe add it to the FAQ or the top page of the thread?

Sorry. It's still a very handy device to have around (just in case). Also, I've stopped relying on anyone at all reading the FAQ...or even the first few lines of the first post. I've answered every question so many times, via PM, email and forum posts that I've essentially given up. If you're using an iPod, likely you'll want to add a powered charger though to get a line level out...in which case, the GLI becomes useful.

Today, the red backlight on my stereo went out along with the two little lights that are plugged into the ash tray + cigarette lighter next to the shifter (I actually removed that assembly to make way for my HK Drive+Play screen and snipped the wires from the cig lighter to supply the HK drive + play

When I put my center console back together after installing my STi STS kit, I had the same problem.

Turns out I left a harness unplugged under the shifter surround. I know it sounds dumb, but make sure all of the connecters are snapped back together under there. Hopefully it's that simple :)

Sorry. It's still a very handy device to have around (just in case). Also, I've stopped relying on anyone at all reading the FAQ...or even the first few lines of the first post. I've answered every question so many times, via PM, email and forum posts that I've essentially given up. If you're using an iPod, likely you'll want to add a powered charger though to get a line level out...in which case, the GLI becomes useful.

No big deal.

I got a dock-connector-to-3.5 mm cable that's unpowered, so it turns out I have a GLI-free solution with line level. At least it's one fewer set of plugs between the source and the receiver :D

No big deal.

I got a dock-connector-to-3.5 mm cable that's unpowered, so it turns out I have a GLI-free solution with line level. At least it's one fewer set of plugs between the source and the receiver :D

Beauty! Care to share that with other members? I don't have an iPod, so I'm not up to date on this stuff and I don't think I've seen a post on an adapter that's unpowered and provides a line level out...at least, not specifically.

Hey, I read all 56 some pages of this forum and the FAQ. I did still ask about the GLI just in case and probably another couple stupid questions while I was at it.

I think mine is going to go in this weekend, been busy with work and taxes these last couple weeks. I haven't even read the owner's manual of my car yet. Moss green outbacks covered with pollen streaks are funny looking.

I have just finished my Ipod mini installation and I am very pleased with the result. I have a European (=Swedish) 2006 MY Legacy 2.0R and I soldered directly on to the CD player board as described by Pattali here.

The best thing about the installation (and what might interest people on this thread) is that I found some Ipod dock connectors for sale. I paid around 30 SEK ($4) each for them and this made it possible for me to manufacture a custom made Ipod cable containing only firewire power (for charging) and line out (L, R, GND). Read more about the connectors here and order them here.

Finally got this hooked up after buying one of these boards out of the first run... Everything went well.. very easy to do with some patience and tools.

1 question that has probably been answered in this thread... Is it right that... when you switch from CD to radio, if you still have your (ipod or sat radio) running.. you will get bleed through?

Please tell me yes.. I dont wanna take the whole thing apart again! haha Its not a big deal as I dont listen to FM radio anymore.. and if I do, i can just mute or turn off my sat radio. Just want to make sure everything is working as it should.

Finally got this hooked up after buying one of these boards out of the first run... Everything went well.. very easy to do with some patience and tools.

1 question that has probably been answered in this thread... Is it right that... when you switch from CD to radio, if you still have your (ipod or sat radio) running.. you will get bleed through?

Please tell me yes.. I dont wanna take the whole thing apart again! haha Its not a big deal as I dont listen to FM radio anymore.. and if I do, i can just mute or turn off my sat radio. Just want to make sure everything is working as it should.

Yes, you will get bleed through, you need to stop you external source.

Beauty! Care to share that with other members? I don't have an iPod, so I'm not up to date on this stuff and I don't think I've seen a post on an adapter that's unpowered and provides a line level out...at least, not specifically.

I'm not sure what he used, but I'll be using a Sendstation PocketDock for my install, it's a small dock connector with an aux out and a USB port for charging if necessary.

http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/lineout-usb.html

This could be posted already in the previous 57 pages I'm not willing to read, but.....

Make sure you use a stereo plug coming out of the board. I thought I was being all cool by using a sheilded mini to rca adapter then a rca cord out of the stereo. The adapter wasn't stereo, and thus when I hooked it up in the car, only the left channel worked. :icon_mad: Replacing with a normal long mini to rca adapter worked great. I now know you can tell if a mini pin is stereo or not if it has two plastic rings on it, not one.