LegacyGT.com

Can we swap out the hvac system in out GTL?

Silver05LegGTL

I don't know if this is where this belongs, but I was wondering if anyone knows if we GT Ltd owners can just swap the factory radio/hvac for the manual hvac system from the 2.5i and then using the Metra kit add an aftermarket headunit. Anyone asked their friendly neighborhood subaru tech? I would ask my guy at the local Subaru dealer but the last time I asked him to check into something it was regarding the dead pedal in the Spec B and it took him two weeks to inform me that it comes attached to the interior carpet and that is the only way to order it! So I am reluctant to ask him about something as complex as this! Anyone with information regarding the possibilities of this ac swap let me know!

The ATC uses a motor to operate the temperature, the MTC uses a cable. First place I would check is if the air box (or sections of) itself is the same part number for both systems. The ATC box and temp door is probably not set up to be operated by a cable.

Steve

Well this has been discussed before and the basic consensus is that it CAN be done but it would be a nighmare because of how many parts you would actually have to swap out.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

• 7 months later...
Has anyone done the HVAC swap? Exactly how may parts would need to be replaced? I have a 2.5i with manual controls and I just want the friggin MP3 headunit. I like the manual HVAC just fine but I would consider swapping as long as it is not too cumbersome. Seems like there are plenty of LTD or GT owners wanting the manual controls. Anyone interested in swapping with me?

I guess that is probably what I am going to do. One of the reasons for buying the car is that I enjoyed the finished (non DIN) style dash, though I also misread the owners manual and thought all the stock players were MP3 capable. I was sure dissapointed when I first got home and inserted a MP3 disk which started playing but without any sound.

I saw that the VDC MP3 HU (P-201UE) has been selling new on eBay for <$200. The list price is absurd, but at this price I was tempted.

http://search-completed.ebay.com/search/search.dll?GetResult&fpos=55119&saprchi=&sacat=-1&sofocus=so&fis=2&saprclo=&ftrv=1&from=R10&satitle=subaru+mp3&sargn=-1&fsop=1&ftrt=1&sadis=200&fsoo=1&sbrftog=1

I was hoping it was maybe just a couple of solenoids and that would be it, but now I realize it would be impractical if not impossible.

I see that Crutchfield has a metra looking dash kit for only $20. I also see there is a DIN adaptor for RHD LTD owners, but rather spendy at $340 and obviously useless unless you have right hand drive.

http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/product_info.php?cPath=1_58_3_187&products_id=265

-Chip

Well...I could modify the tuner outputs and use the board I have created to use the 4th position (assuming there is a CD/FM/AM button) on your radio.

But then you are looking at like $250 for my installation price because it requires removing the radio, cutting traces, installing my board, and testing.

Archived