LegacyGT.com

Subaru Extra-s gear oil - cat's meow!

I changed transmission/diff oil - went with Subaru Extra-S 75w90. This is supposedly OEM oil.

Well, all I know, the gearbox has never shifted better! Uber, uber smooth, precise and effortless! My car has 20k miles btw.

I was researching what oil to go with - initially wanted to go with SF MTL-R, but unfortunately they closed. No other synthetic seemed to have 100% favorable reviews - Silkolene, Redline, Mobil, etc - there are problem reports with all of them. I read on nasioc that some racing team after trying different fluids went with Extra-S dino and never went back. So I figured out it should be good enough for me...

The downside is that the bitch comes in 20 liter container only and cost me $140 + tax. I guess I have multi year supply of this magic juice.

Note, your average stealership won't put this stuff for a regular gear oil change - they use whatever vanilla cheapo gear oil they buy in bulk.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm, interesting. I checked teh level of fluid in the gearbox (btw, did I mention I hate these pop-its for engine cover?) - and it was overfilled - just above "F" letter. :mad: Well, yeah, typical dealership, I think (I took the car in for the fluid change). So off I go and take a pump and suck excess, so the level is exactly at the "hole" which by the manual is the "upper level".

Effect? Shifting got worse!!! :spin: :spin: What gives? I remeber a post by edmundu indicating that toping off the fluid helps with the shifter feel....

Ok, it is still better than it used to be, but noticeably worse than before sucking up the excess fluid. It was about 200 ml too much. I guess I'll put that back.

Was the level checked cold or hot? I think it should be checked cold. In any event, I recall mine being a touch low from the factory, and when I added about the same amount it made the shifting much better.

It was checked eee... still kind a warm - 2 hours after driving, but in the heat today everything was rather warm to touch. Manual is vague about checking it hot or cold - says "stop the engine and..." :rolleyes:

I just put the 200 ml back... and it's at "F" letter so it's above recommended level. I'll see how it goes. I hope I won't blow the tranny if I drive like that. If it shifts better especially....

:iam:

That gear oil is definitoy the "Cat's Meow", my local dealer stocks it...but you have to bring your own container unless you want the whole 20 liter barrel! :lol:

Apparently SOA is considering selling it in smaller bottles...but hasn't yet...

It was checked eee... still kind a warm - 2 hours after driving, but in the heat today everything was rather warm to touch. Manual is vague about checking it hot or cold - says "stop the engine and..." :rolleyes:

I just put the 200 ml back... and it's at "F" letter so it's above recommended level. I'll see how it goes. I hope I won't blow the tranny if I drive like that. If it shifts better especially....

:iam:

ih shits dued - it's 200ml just fill it an dog

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

Hey guys,

I just posted my service quotes for a bunch of fluid changes under the 30,000 mile service thread. But while I was talking to the dealership they said that they use MOC brand fluid. They said it is fully synthetic and much better then what comes from the factory. They said it was a "high performance" fluid change.

What is this MOC stuff and is there any way they could be referring to the Subaru Extra? Hopefully someone has run into this before and can help answer my question.

Thanks

Archived