LegacyGT.com

Timing belt needs to be replaced

ummmm....ok. I'll ask. why does your timing belt need to be replaced?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

And I can't remember the warranty mileage since I never had to use it, but if you're in the warranty, you probably have a good case for coverage unless they can show you've done zero maintenance and beat the crap out of the car. Of course, that has nothing to do with whether they would accept it as a warranty claim!

ummmm....ok. I'll ask. why does your timing belt need to be replaced?

Just going by what the dealer said.

I thought the obnoxious noise coming from the car was one of the belts on the pulleys (it had that classic worn/loose belt noise) so I brought it in.

They said the drive belts are fine but the noise was coming from under the timing belt cover... they said the timing belt was shot *shrugs*

And I can't remember the warranty mileage since I never had to use it, but if you're in the warranty, you probably have a good case for coverage unless they can show you've done zero maintenance and beat the crap out of the car. Of course, that has nothing to do with whether they would accept it as a warranty claim!

I bought the extended warranty so it'll be covered.

Timing belt at 100,000 according to my dealer, the local replaces it at 60k for turbo cars just to be safe....doesn't sound like you should be doing it this early, unless other issues are behind it.

I'll find out tomorrow morning if there's anything else going on.

I've never heard of a timing belt needing replacing before 95,000 miles

Maybe it's an idler, and they are going to replace the timing belt while they are in there.

That's the plan.

Seems like overkill.

Would an idler make that squealing/screeching/crickets chirping noise while in 4th gear doing 45 mph?

They can make quite a racket, and frankly, once you are in there, and you have the to take the belt off, you might as well put on a new one.

So what you really have is an idler pully failure....

What other warranty work have you had done?

They can make quite a racket, and frankly, once you are in there, and you have the to take the belt off, you might as well put on a new one.

So what you really have is an idler pully failure....

What other warranty work have you had done?

I'll find out tomorrow about the details of what's wrong with the timing belt et al.

I've had the heater core stop working, the blower itself stop working, front and rear rotors replaced, motor for the passenger side rear window replaced (it stopped working), faulty stereo head unit, the arm that's pulls the moonroof shade open and shut snapped off out of nowhere and that was replaced.... ummm what else? Oh, the weather stripping around the driver's door needed to be replaced because rain water was dripping into the car when it was parked and the front passenger side door handle (exterior) needed to be replaced because the cable, or whatever it is that's attached to the handle, broke.

Most of that happened before the car reached 30,000 miles :spin:

I'll find out tomorrow morning if there's anything else going on.

I've never heard of a timing belt needing replacing before 95,000 miles

I have... 92,062... SNAP!!

(although it was caused by the water pump... but still)

have you considered taking the car to a different mechanic? we all know how reliable most service dept seem to be:rolleyes:;)
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Nope, SOHC EJ engines 1996 and earlier were non-interference.

Oh nice. I though mine might be non-interference too, since the turbo warrants a low compression ratio. That should leave lots of room for valves on top (or side, in the boxer case).

On a side note, when I had my old 95 Infiniti J30, I replaced the timing belt at 100k, and went ahead and did the water pump with it. Then at 110k, the water pump crapped out. So I had to do it all again. It was so retarded, and even though napa gave me a replacement for free, I was angry.

It is recommended to be replaced every 105k starting in 1996 for the 2.5L.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

have you considered taking the car to a different mechanic? we all know how reliable most service dept seem to be:rolleyes:;)

ironic you mention this however we have an extended warranty that says we can only take warranty work to this dealer if we're within a 40 mile radius :rolleyes:

so after they replaced the timing belt they still heard the noise... the cause?

heat shield rattling - good grief I just hope these jack*$$es don't royally f my car up one day

Why was the timing belt needed to be replaced? Did they replace any idler/tensioner pulleys at all? Those pulleys can create noise and prematurely fail.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

ironic you mention this however we have an extended warranty that says we can only take warranty work to this dealer if we're within a 40 mile radius :rolleyes:

so after they replaced the timing belt they still heard the noise... the cause?

heat shield rattling - good grief I just hope these jack*$ don't royally f my car up one day

Are you kidding me? A heat shield? That is a pretty recognizable noise to anyone who has even owned a Subie before, nevermind work on them.

Well, at least you have a long while until you need another T-belt!

Archived