LegacyGT.com

Knuckle refurbishing -- anyone been here?

Has anyone gone thru the process of rebuilding the steering knuckle on these cars? To be clear, im referring the the housing that holds the wheel hub, bolts to the LCA and strut. My problem was that while in the process of removing the lower ball joint pinch bolt, the head broke off the bolt. IMHO this is a horrible design as you should never have anything threading into cast iron.. or stuff like this happens.

Has anyone fixed this type of issue? What did you do? Helicoil? I was thinking of either a heli coil or possibly pressing in a busing where the original threads were, and running a longer bolt thru... allowing me to cap it with a nut on the other end.

What were YOUR guys' solution?

After sage advice from this forum I drill it out and use a bolt with a nut on the other side. Start with a small size then go bigger. Just had to do this last week. Was easier to replace spindle than press bearing in and out.

O.

• 3 months later...

I've cracked them before trying to remove ball joints. I built a copy of sniper1rfa's ball joint puller and that's less of an issue now. Doesn't help one bit if the bolt is rusted in and snaps. . for that the only salvation is copious amounts of P'Blaster, patience, and a 1/2" impact driver. I find changing directions a few times during removal helps on the stubborn ones.

On my Baja, I did take the spindles down to nothing (pressed the hubs and bearings out), sandblasted them and painted them with POR 15 before reinstalling. . . and slathered on a good layer of anti-seize in the ball joint cup. Should last forever.

Archived