LegacyGT.com

Kumho Owners-Come on in!

onesillyracer

I'll go back to Kuhmos again. running bridgestones now only for the deal I got on them. had the Falkens on before. and never again
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I usually run 37 to 39 front and about 2 pounds lower in the rears with my 18" SPT's. I really like these tires. Never had a problem with traction. I do notice they flat spot a little when they sit for awhile, but it only takes about 2 miles to get the back right.

That is odd I run the opposite pressures lower up front and higher in the rear..... I do run on coilovers and have my reasons for doing so. But if that works for you guys more power to you. The Kumhos' were ok I'm about to pick up some yokohamas' soon. I must say they did hold up pretty well good tread life and held good while cornering, up until the limit after that the let go but in a linear consistant manner so a power slide was not so hard to do.

37 psi all around, these tires are a performance bargain, SPT's 235/45R18.
Here's proof: Just 1 minute after buying my OBXT, I had 7 phone calls from insanely hot women, and got 7 dates out of it. Coincidence? I think not.

Kumho ECSTA ASX on my OBXT. Great price and they are silent on the road until about 20,000 miles then they start to pic up some road noise at slow speeds on rough pavement. These seem to be great all season tires but have not tried them in Snow yet. It does not snow in Asheville anymore.

“Abandon hope, all ye who enter here”

-Dante Alighieri

http://youtu.be/lLFunBPgPOo

I wrestled between the SPTs and the General Eclaim UHPs and ended up w/ the Generals. They were a $100 cheaper and they had the rebate...I am happy so far but the Generals seem to have a softer sidewall....maybe it's just me.

Kuhmo has a great product.

Rehab is for quitters.

i'm running spt, and pretty disappointed with the performance. soft sidewall(37/36psi), and not that grippy, especially bad wet grip, way worse than the toyo t1s or t1r, and they are similarly priced. before i had the 712 with my honda, and those are even worse, probably will not buy kumhos again, except for their race spec tires. and for the record i've had falken ze512, azenis, yokohama neova, a032r, toyo t1s,t1r, bridgestone re010, kumho 712 and spt. i have to say the kumhos are the worst tires i never had.

Ran through 2 sets of ASX's so far! I really like them, but was getting uneven tire wear (My fault - I am dropped and needed alignment) So I decided to try the ContiExtremes this time.

I agree the ASX sidewalls could be a little soft at times, but only when I was pushing hard around an on-ramp or somethin :) They used to be cheap (Like $90 a tire- but I see that now they are going for $120 or so- not the amazing value they used to be) I ran 39 F and 35 R.

The Contis are filled with nitrogen this time and it has been raining since I got them- they are awesome in the wet so far...but cost more ($140 a tire) I am running 35 psi all around.

One small knock on the Kuhmos is that they didn't last very long- 20K tops! And got pretty loud as they wore down, but overall I'd buy them again- esp if they dropped back down to 90 bucks each or so...

I have the 712's and I like them alot but I might jump ship to the Azenis RT-165 as the current Khumo choices aren't that good. The SPT would be the only alternative.

I have 18x8 Rotas with 225-40-18 and I yet to lower the psi on the rear as it's a bit tail happy. But I'm not complaining! ;)

Ran through 2 sets of ASX's so far! I really like them, but was getting uneven tire wear (My fault - I am dropped and needed alignment) So I decided to try the ContiExtremes this time.

I agree the ASX sidewalls could be a little soft at times, but only when I was pushing hard around an on-ramp or somethin :) They used to be cheap (Like $90 a tire- but I see that now they are going for $120 or so- not the amazing value they used to be) I ran 39 F and 35 R.

The Contis are filled with nitrogen this time and it has been raining since I got them- they are awesome in the wet so far...but cost more ($140 a tire) I am running 35 psi all around.

One small knock on the Kuhmos is that they didn't last very long- 20K tops! And got pretty loud as they wore down, but overall I'd buy them again- esp if they dropped back down to 90 bucks each or so...

+ 5

+ 1 for uneven tire wear (right front worn out more so than left front) - despite regular rotations - the right front would always show more wear. Stock suspension.

+ 1 for soft sidewalls

+ 1 for not being long lasting (I am at 25K on them and need to be replaced soon, before the winter snow comes)

+ 1 for the tire pressure 39 F and 35 R

+ 1 for trying out Conti Extreme Contacts (but I have bought already just not installed them yet - trying to keep the Kumhos another 2-3 months)

• 4 weeks later...
Since switching from the crap Falken 512s, to the Kumho Ecsta SPT, I must say I truly love these tires. My question to you guys is, how many lbs of air are you finding these tires like? I remember the Falkens are very sensitive to tire inflation

Sorry I missed this post earlier....out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the 512's? Everyone on the board seems to love them, and I thought I was the only one who didn't--at least for my needs.

TIA,

Tim

I have the 712's and I like them alot but I might jump ship to the Azenis RT-165 as the current Khumo choices aren't that good. The SPT would be the only alternative.

I have 18x8 Rotas with 225-40-18 and I yet to lower the psi on the rear as it's a bit tail happy. But I'm not complaining! ;)

Wow, I ran the 712's many years ago on an old M5 and found them to be great at hydroplaning resistance--but they had no grip on dry or wet roads, and got very noisey very quickly. I'm not surprised your car is tail-happy with them! ;)

Tim

Correction, I have 711's which were discontinued and they are replacing one so I have to buy the other side so I might stick for now with Khumo. Looking for choices in 225-40-18 and did run across the Admiral 712 which is the same as the Supra 712 and might bite unless you guys suggest anything.

• 3 weeks later...

I am really questioning the opinions of some people on this board who are suggesting the Falken 615's are crap tires.

Yes, they're loud. Yes they don't last more than 20k miles. But you're getting unbelievable wet/dry performance for a bargain. And the sidewall is stiff stiff stiff which is mandatory for sharp turn-in.

I've ran 3 different Kuhmo's in the past (712, ASX, MX) and found that if you really want a year-round good tire you need to pay for it (Yoko or Continental).

I have Kumho Ecsta SPTs for about a year, maybe 10,000 miles on them. I've been happy with them, plan to try MXs when I replace these.

On the street 37/35 works pretty well for me.

Tracked the car once, they sure do HOWL but were predictable. Held up to the track pretty well, no chunking. I didn't observe much sidewall rolloever at the track on the SPTs.

Archived