LegacyGT.com

Color changing gauges

So, in Japan, BN/BS models with eyesight have a gauge cluster that changes color. It is described near the bottom of this page.

http://www.subaru.jp/legacy/b4/design/interior.html

It states that there are 10 different colors, and that the cluster turns red with an eyesight warning, and orange when the transmission is switched to sport.

I've only ever played with the non-eyesight models, but does the eyesight package in the US have a gauge cluster with this functionality as well? If not, I wonder if the US cluster at least contains the different colored lights so that it could be enabled/modified to work.

Subaru's three-mode SI intelligent drive system that brings different settings for throttle response and the transmission. Impressively, like its sportier WRX sibling
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

... as usual, JDM gets all the wicked cool stuff!

I had an early 5EAT LGT with 'sport' mode, sliding the shifter to the left changed the shifting points for more aggressive driving, and the word 'SPORT' illuminated in green on the gauge panel. Bumping the shift up and down put it in manual mode and allowed you to change gears. The Outback with the 4EAT has it, but I never use it.

But the full tricked out unit is suppose to be $15,000 less this year over previous years which is way over what be pay in the states.

Such a deal!

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

• 1 year later...

WRX CVT adds S# to S, and I, but is also paired with a High Torque CVT (3.6 Legacy has a High Torque CVT as well, but not the SI Drive programming, if you compare the power output between the WRX CVT and a 3.6 Legacy CVT the engine power and torque are similar, but the actual acceleration as tested is not, WRX blows the Legacy away due to the SI Drive programming vs the standard Legacy CVT, though we need Australian numbers in S mode to compare and see if it makes a difference over US specs...).

Of the three modes on a WRX CVT, I was the most useless. S was good for daily driving, and S# with 8 gear ratios and fast shifting was the best, also useable for daily driving, although it held gears for a long time so if decelerating the car was slow to drop down to 1, keeping revs up, anticipating acceleration.

SI drive is a pretty good system, still being improved, it is more than a gearing change when you switch modes, it also changes how accelerator input is received, so ECM+transmission+accelerator input speed and amount are all integrated.

Forester XT also has SI drive, but not the same as WRX CVT, which is currently the engineering flagship for pairing power with CVT's.

What is this SI drive you speak of?

To expand a bit more from what has been posted. The Subaru Australia website here explains SI-Drive for the Liberty as: “Liberty is smart enough to adapt its driving style to suit your day, thanks to Subaru Intelligent Drive (SI-Drive). Choose from Intelligent (I) mode for everyday driving. Sport (S) mode for enhanced acceleration and sporty performance. And SportSharp (S#) mode – available on Liberty 3.6R – for a truly exhilarating drive.”.

This Subaru Australia website page shows graphs indicating how throttle response changes.

All 3 modes on our Liberty 3.6R are very useful. ‘I’ mode for around town in traffic where less sensitive throttle tip-in & acceleration using the bottom end torque at low revs is useful. ‘S’ mode for most of my driving where good quick response is required. ‘S#’ comes into its own when driving in winding mountain roads, especially downhills approaching corners where firm braking will drop & hold lower gears. Our SJ Foz XT had the 3 SI-Drive modes but the modes on the 3.6R Liberty seem better & not as laggy.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived