LegacyGT.com

hmm, i have what appears to be an oil leak towards the rear of the engine. is there a picture of write up of this "common leak"? can it be addressed with the engine in the car? more information to this newbie would be seriously appreciated!!

yay! given where the oil is accumulating, i'm certain this is my problem, lol. i'm not taking engine or trans out at anytime. Anyone have a problem with using quality oil leak sealants like "White Shepard" on these engines?

yay! given where the oil is accumulating, i'm certain this is my problem, lol. i'm not taking engine or trans out at anytime. Anyone have a problem with using quality oil leak sealants like "White Shepard" on these engines?

Interested in this too...

i do not recommend any oil stop leak product.

they will not work.

you will be wasting your money.

it is a pain to pull the engine just for the leak,

but try to do it when you need some other work, like timing belt.

and i doubt it is the rear main seal,

they usually last the life of the car.

and if not installed properly they will leak afterwards.

then you have to do it all again.

look here:

http://beergarage.com/SubySeparator.aspx

i have had good results with White Shepard....it is important that the procedure on the back of the bottle is followed exactly. it's not a cheap sealant. the little bottle costs $20.

however, it cannot create seals that no longer exist. if this backing plate is missing seal material, there is nothing to do but to pull the engine and replace.

till then i'll keep it full using the cheapest oil i can find ;)

i have had good results with White Shepard....it is important that the procedure on the back of the bottle is followed exactly. it's not a cheap sealant. the little bottle costs $20.

however, it cannot create seals that no longer exist. if this backing plate is missing seal material, there is nothing to do but to pull the engine and replace.

till then i'll keep it full using the cheapest oil i can find ;)

Even if the rubber sealant used to seal the factory Oil Separator Plate hasn't disintegrated over the years (which it probably has), this plate on the rear of the engine block is made of plastic, which becomes brittle over time and cracks, leaving leaky, unsealed gaps. The revised part is metal and is installed in conjunction with a quality anaerobic sealant for much better longevity.

Old oil separator plate removed from EJ25D:

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/IMG_5236.jpg

New oil separator plate being installed after cleanup:

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/IMG_5277.jpg

Check your front crank oil seal. They are a well known place for leaking on these motors. The only pain is that the timing belt has to come off to replace it. It wouldn't hurt to replace that at the same time as well. God knows when it was last done on this car anyway. It's probably well overdue ? Holding on by a few strands. It's easy to check, just take off one of the plastic cam pulley covers.

Archived