LegacyGT.com

LGT Wagon Suspension swapped into Outback XT

Duffman

No, everything I replaced I listed above. Would be happy to know I could fix my problem with just adding a bigger spacer. The clunking has me a little worried though.

Odd. The clunking is strange. I don't have that. However, I have always had 1.5 inches of spacer on the top of the rear strut.

as far as I can tell it's not easy to install these wrong. As long as the strut bolts are tight it's pretty straight forward. I do occasionally get clunks from the strut top bolts working their way loose because when I originally did the installation I didn't have a pass-through wrench.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you used the LGT sedan rear springs they will be too soft for the heavier OBXT wagon.

I used the original OBXT springs all the way around and a 1/2" spacer in the rear to even it all out.

http://dl.dropbox.com/s/ahh25wztxua1p23/wintermode.jpg

If you cut the bump stops rather than replacing them with the proper LGT version then you have lost the progressive bump dampening of the cone shape of the stopper. It's now more like a flat hard rubber stopper and it probably bangs when the soft spring compresses quickly into it.

If you used the LGT sedan rear springs they will be too soft for the heavier OBXT wagon.

I used the original OBXT springs all the way around and a 1/2" spacer in the rear to even it all out.

If you cut the bump stops rather than replacing them with the proper LGT version then you have lost the progressive bump dampening of the cone shape of the stopper. It's now more like a flat hard rubber stopper and it probably bangs when the soft spring compresses quickly into it.

That makes sense with the bump stop. I thought that the suspension didn't normally come into contact with them. Thought they were more there as a safety. As for the saggy butt. I'm running 3/8" spacers in the rear and I still have an inch of difference between the front and rear wheel gaps. Do you know what your measurements are?

• 4 weeks later...

I've been looking to do this swap for a while now and had a few questions. So you have stock OBXT springs on LGT struts? hows the ride? and would 1/4 inch spacers in the rear be enough or would i have to go with? 1/2?

The ride is very good. It's stiffer than stock because the OBXT springs are compressed a bit more on the shorter LGT strut body but it's not harsh and cornering is much more stable. For me a 1/2" spacer (made from a poly food cutting board) evened out the ride height.

The ride is very good. It's stiffer than stock because the OBXT springs are compressed a bit more on the shorter LGT strut body but it's not harsh and cornering is much more stable. For me a 1/2" spacer (made from a poly food cutting board) evened out the ride height.

Awesome thats good to hear haha does it sit a little higher than it would with LGT springs because the spring is stiffer therefor not compressing as much with the weight of the car? And i'd also assume you could use the strut mounts from the OBXT suspension?

Edited by bighayden

There's two pictures here. With the truck in the background is stock and the pic without the truck is on the Koni LGT suspension. The OBXT is too heavy for LGT springs and you'll be sitting pretty low and hitting the bump stops often using them. The OBXT/LGT mounts are the same.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help. I'll have pics up in a few months when im back from college and i do the swap!

• 3 weeks later...
Are the classifieds going to be my best bet for picking up a LGT wagon setup to swap onto my OBXT? What cost does that swap normally entail? From my research I am thinking of doing the LGT setup with OB springs to give me a lower ride with a little added stiffness. If you have this setup, any comments? Ok with stock tire size?

• 3 weeks later...
I have a question for anyone who might have an idea. I know its kind of hard to answer but if I have legacy suspension in my 08 OB would a set up of 235/50/ 17x9 +28 cause any problems with fender clearance or rubbing? I dont think it would i was just looking for some more opinions.

• 1 month later...
These tires are spec'd for mounting on 7.5" as the minimum wheel width.

I snapped some pictures for you so you can see the clearances. With stock OBXT suspension you will have more tire height to spring perch clearance. Even an 8" or 8.5" wheel with the proper offset would still clear as the tire is wider than the wheel as you can see.

What I suggest is that you find a tire shop willing to order in your chosen wheel and test fit it for you at no cost. That is what I did, because of my brakes and the shop could return the wheels to the supplier if they didn't fit and were not mounted.

Pictures:

Komodo (18x7.5 +45) by Fastwheels

OEM stock LGT suspension (painted yellow by previous LGT owner)

Tires Falken FK-452 245/45-18

looks good man. do you think a 235/50/17 on a 17x8 +35 would work on legacy wagon struts in an 08 ob without rubbing on the perch? thanks!

Edited by bighayden

nah, he is high on the stock OBXT suspension.

Oh ok. Yeah I mean I think I'd be good with 235/50 17x8 +35 on legacy struts. I don't feel like it'll be low enough to rub on the fender. I did some calculations and found that it would be an increase of 17 mm of poke and being that most people run 15mm spacers I think it should be fine

Edited by bighayden

Hey all, just picked up a '08 OBXT as we needed more room. Starting the mods and I was a bit unclear on what I should order, so here goes:

What I have so far:

• BCBR LGT Height Coils
  • Rota Gravel 18x8.5 w/ 235/40/18's

Now I see you can just trim down the bump stops, but what about the rear "upper control arms" as rester had listed in another post; should I go with ~Whiteline KCA399

~20250AE02A & 20250AE04A (I believe these are the L & R control arms rester was referring to)

• 1 month later...

Based on having just re-read this whole thread, I would try putting your original OB springs on the rear Legacy struts, if you still have them. I think it is pretty well established that LGT sedan rear springs are suboptimal for an OB swap, and it doesn't sound like any reasonable spacer thickness wil level things out for you...

What I find interesting is that the guy who started this thread did a straight swap with LGT wagon takeoffs and didn't do anything else, other than get a good alignment done. He didn't seem to have any issues with the rear height, yet a lot of the discussion seems to be about adding spacers in back. When I first got my OBXT a few years ago, I exchanged PMs with at least two guys who did LGT wagon swaps, both of them said there were no issues with rear height. I am planning on putting in Koni converted LGT wagon springs/front housings with LGT bump stops/helpers and my expectation is that the rear height will be fine...

Doug

That makes sense with the bump stop. I thought that the suspension didn't normally come into contact with them. Thought they were more there as a safety. As for the saggy butt. I'm running 3/8" spacers in the rear and I still have an inch of difference between the front and rear wheel gaps. Do you know what your measurements are?

• 2 weeks later...

Greeting's from Australia

I have a 2007 Subaru Outback and would like to put the Subaru Legacy GT Wagon (Liberty GT in Australia) Spec B Bilstein shocks and springs into my Outback. (Legacy bumps stops as well)

I have read all the comments and it appears they will fit HOWEVER will my stock outback tyres 215/55/17 still fit with the new shocks?

Cheers

Edited by lowndes8