LegacyGT.com

Fuel Additives: Do you? If so, Recommendations?

Yeah I know about the final drive and was curious about the GT real world tach perspective. May consider switching or adding a GT some day just for this reason. I really have to keep my foot out of it to get a decent MPG average.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post #29

I use SeeeeeYa's cocktail which comprises:

• Acetone
  • Marvel Mystery Oil
  • Chevron Techron

I buy the fluids in 1 gallon containers, then mix-up three (3), 12oz batches at a time.

How to mix and use:

• Pour 4oz of each fluid into three spare additive cans/bottles at a time -this makes three (3) 12oz bottles (36oz total). FWIW, I use Brianna Salad Dressing (superb dressing BTW) bottles because they're compact, and the tapered neck makes it easy to pour into the tank
  • First use - Add one 12oz can to an empty tank, then fill-up,
  • Second use - Add one 12oz can to a 1/2 empty tank, run it until empty
  • Third use - Refill then add one 12oz can to the full tank.

Thereafter, I just add it to every other oil change, then fill and drive. Amazing stuff. Definitely runs smoother and it cleans and lubricates your injectors, your valves, cylinders and any cat-converter(s). And it's much cheaper per oz than anything you get at the autoparts stores.

Edited by SBT
add interval change

• 2 months later...

Just did SeeeeeYa's for the first time today, picked up the stuff on Saturday. Haven't driven enough to report back yet, but will when the tank is through. I was having grumpy starts and intermittent rough idle. Not so rough that I was alarmed, just knew that it wasn't perfect. Car has about 196k? Bought it used last summer.

On a side I used to use 44K on my first gen Leggy, that was good stuff and saw very real results. But I've lost my hook-up so the price doesn't seem so worth it now lol!

I took SeeeeeYa's cocktail and poured it in a shotglass and slammed it back.

Had to call the doctor for an erection lasting longer than 4 hours.

And then a hooker.

Oh My. That's some unintended consequences... :lol:

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Was reading through this thread and thought I'd contribute:

Back when I had my 02 WRX and tracked it quite a bit, I used about 5 gallons of Toluene plus some MMO mixed to 10-11 gallons of 100 octane. That makes for one very high octane mix with very low chance of detonation and a lot of power. Figure you end up with a tank of about 107 octane fuel when you do that (Toluene is 121 RON)...

2013 â–ˆS4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

After doing SeeeYa's, I have smoother idle and slightly better mpg. I'll prob do it every few months, can't hurt!

Also installed Grimspeed phenolic spacers which made a HUGE difference in mileage and intake temps.

....yeah right :rolleyes:

Um... Okay. I guess I don't drive my own car, or check my mileage every tank full... Nor do I have a infrared thermometer that showed a 30-40 degree drop in intake temps. That def wouldn't have an effect on oxygen density. It must be underpants gnomes that have me that mileage increase.

Hey maybe that's what step 2 is...

:rolleyes:

Not to go too much offtopic here, but my understanding is that phenolic spacers ultimately suffer from the effect of diminishing returns. Eventually they do warm up, and without some sort of active cooling, the intake temp difference from a stock set-up diminishes to a certain point.

Well i think what some people need to realize as well is that we are moving away from the winter gas. Yes there is a such thing. During the winter ethanol levels in fuel are higher than in the summer.

And ethanol causes poor fuel mileage.

Im not saying the phenolic spacer didnt help but i wouldnt expect you to see noticable gains from that. But when you say huge gains. What is huge to you. 2mpg or 6mpg.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Not to go too much offtopic here, but my understanding is that phenolic spacers ultimately suffer from the effect of diminishing returns. Eventually they do warm up, and without some sort of active cooling, the intake temp difference from a stock set-up diminishes to a certain point.

Probably true - everything warms up. But the spacers will also help the cool down effect as well.

Or you can go with ZeroLift composite TGV deletes - paired with a stock intake manifold should help see a nice drop in charge temps, which could increase power and/or mileage...

2013 â–ˆS4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

True that. I was speaking more as an alternative. No need for spacers with composite TGV's.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm still wanting to find out specifics about two lost engines to MMO, as well as how injector cleaners reduce octane and which then induce knock ...

Most cleaners have toluene/xylene in them. Those two solvents alone have an octane rating of 118/121. I used to run 3 gallons of toluene and or xylene and a splash of MMO to avoid burning valves in my 1998 Grand Prix GTP. Cheap race gas.

And just an FYI to OP, gasoline is technically solvent (fuel wash the cylinder walls). So how does one solvent 'displace' another?

Edited by AMileHighLGT

Most cleaners have toluene/xylene in them. Those two solvents alone have an octane rating of 118/121. I used to run 3 gallons of toluene and or xylene and a splash of MMO to avoid burning valves in my 1998 Grand Prix GTP. Cheap race gas.

And just an FYI to OP, gasoline is technically solvent (fuel wash the cylinder walls). So how does one solvent 'displace' another?

Most cleaners DON'T have toluene/xylene in them. That's why most of them don't work. Most of them (STP, Gumout, Pyroil, Gold Seal, Radiator Specialties, Stabil, ANY private brand) are basically a fuel oil derivative or kerosene and simply lubricate the pintles but don't do anything to remove the deposits.

The Berryman Chemtool has toluene in it along with a couple of other light aromatic solvents (acetone, methanol, MEK) and actually does dissolve styrene deposits (fouling deposits leftover as byproduct of gasoline). The Techron also has some toluene, although not as much, but it, too, dissolves deposits, albeit a bit slower. Very few others contain any kind of solvent (BG, Borg Warner direct feed kit, and a few others do) but they are generally expensive and require equipment to install (although you can simply run it into a vacuum hose for valve stem and seat cleaning or through fuel for a more thorough clean.

Your mix was a good one and really boosts octane as well as keeping cylinders cool and clean. :)

I never used it on the dyno so I'm not sure if there were any gains made at the wheels, but I do know the car would run another degree or two of spark advance with no knock retard.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Bought a bottle of Berryman B12 with a jug of Rotella. Since my daily commute is only 5 miles, should I put in only 1/2 or 3/4 of the B12 instead of the whole bottle? I drive more on the weekends, so I fill up/top off once a week.

I usually just use a bottle of Techron once a year.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

I'm hesitant to give any fuel additive suggestions because I'm not entirely sure they're anything more than snake oil.

However, last year I was having some serious misfire issues. I poured a bottle of Lucas system/fuel/injector cleaner in with a tank of gas and it cleared about 75% of the misfire issues almost immediately.

Eventually I removed the fuel injectors and put a little bit of the cleaner directly in the injector cleaner (and then wiped it out with a cloth) and it completely fixed the misfire issues.

Road-trip coming up so I'm making up 3 batches of SeeeeeYa's special sauce for the trip. Best time to take advantage of the cleaning, and the higher octane boost IME. Return trip should be silk-smooth.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -