LegacyGT.com

How long after dealer says "your car is being built?"

racerdave

I searched and coudn't find an exact question like this, so here goes:

My dealer called me yesterday and said "We have confirmation that your car is being built right now." Or something like that. I ordered on about Dec. 15.

I called a little while ago and asked for the VIN and she's going to get back to me. (she sounds new... the original sales drone I worked with is no longer at the dealership)

Anyway... assuming they're not BS'ing... once they say "Your car is being built," how much longer is the wait??

I hate to snow on your parade, pee in your corn flakes, and such. My beloved Legacy was confirmed by the factory on 2nd December (this I have seen with my own eyes on paper) and apparently build was confirmed on the 15th of December. I may...or I may not drive the Legacy home this coming Monday when its official due date comes...This coming Monday would be the 10th week of waiting.

If anything...I would do things differently. I would NOT order the car anymore. I would just buy one or force a "dealer swap". That being said...if I still ordered...I would not register with this forum 2 months ahead of time...and read and drool about how much people are enjoying this car...while I am pulling my hair in dispair.

But hey...on the bright side...having had the honor of meeting some gentlemen from here in real life...I have not been dissapointed...and I certainly learnt a great deal about the LGT that I can put to good use right away.

I ordered using SOA's VIP program on Oct 6, or so I thought. After a couple of calls during the 6-8 week wait period I was told to expect, I was told everything was on schedule. Near the end of the 8 weeks I go make a personal appearance at the dealership asking where my car is. She tells me she just checked the status and it was "in transit", but now it showed "delayed". I ask how can it go from in transit to delayed; "Did it fall of the back end of the transport truck?" She has no explanation of where it is or when it will be delivered.

Some more phone calls the next day gets me to the Sales Mamager. He can't find any history of her placing that order, however they did get in the exact car I thought I had ordered, right around the time mine was due, except it had the taupe interior and I wanted charcoal. I think she messed up the order, or it was just a strage coincidence.

He doesn't sound real happy with her, apologizes profusely, and checks inventories of other dealers and finds only one, but that car already had over 300 miles on it and it was already swapped once. I refuse it as I never put any money down with the (supposed) order, and wasn't in desperate need of a new car.

My car is ordered, for real, the second week of December, and I get a copy of the Sold Order Confirmation mid December. The RBP GT Limited sedan arrived at the dealer Monday, and I'm picking it up later today, just shy of a 16 week wait. Glad I got the "VIP" treatment vs the Joe Schmo treatment. Manager said he'll "make it up to me" for the mixup, but hasn't offered any specifics.

Thanks for making me feel better guys! :D

Not!

Ouch... sorry for those experiences. Painful indeed.

Well, at the very least, you've prepared me to buckle my chinstrap because this could be a bumpy ride.

Now, time to call the dealer and be a pain in the posterior. ;)

Update:

SoA :rolleyes:

According to the salesperson who spoke to a SoA rep, a Satin White GT wagon is not part of the "normal factory allocation" builds. Therefore, they wait until they have a few oddballs like mine (and others) to then push these "special orders" through the line.

So SoA basically sat on my order for a month and change, then decided to build the car. Maybe not so out of the ordinary, but when it's your car... it bites! :(

Allegedly, it's on target for an end-of-Feb delivery. Ugh... another whole month! So that will push it into the 10-12 week timeframe, which is what the original salesperson said would be "worst-case scenario."

Well... it's the worst case alright. I'm getting a worst-case hankerin' for my GT.

:D

Wow. Reading these posts makes me feel kinda guilty for going to my dealer and driving a GT wagon off the lot the same day.

So is it that your dealers have zero stock on hand? It doesn't seem to me that there are a lot of factory options besides paint and upholstery. Most everthing else should be dealer installable (STS, audio, alarm, etc...).

I remember buying a Honda CRX back in '85 and on it even the AC was a dealer installable option.

racerdave, I hear you on that one. When I went in there were only two manual GT wagons on the lot, but there were about 10 Ltd wagons. I was just lucky that they had a white 5MT base GT as none of the other local dealers did. Plenty of blue and black ones, though.

Closest dealer is a small one and their stock of limiteds varies from zero to two at any given time. No other area dealers had what I wanted in stock so I ordered. I've owned green, red, maroon, black and silver and decided to go regal blue this time. I'll have to put up with winter slop and salt spray for the month or two, but that's easily remedied by frequent trips to the car wash for my new baby.

When I went to the dealer at the end of December there were 3 in the lot. When I went back in mid January there were none available and they told me they had already received and sold the cars. I have see just one Outback by the service entrance.

• 2 weeks later...

Update... I should get my car by Thursday or Friday (Monday at worst)!

Went into the line on the 3rd. Also, the delay mostly was related to it being Satin White... that's why they wanted to wait to run them through together. Apparently, not too many requests for Satin White.

One thing... I requested the VIN, which the dealer gave me, but for some reason she only had the last 8 numbers, not the first 8. What's up with that?

So it shouldn't be long now.

Now... about those tires... ;)

Archived