LegacyGT.com

time for some maintenance... is this legit?

2008 2.5i, just hit 50,000 miles and the shop is telling me I should replace rear pads and rotors due to rust (quoted $370), alignment ($60) and replace the trans fluid ($150)). I have an automatic transmission.

Does this seem legitimate? Is this normally the time to do this service? Sched maintenance document says to inspect but nothing about replacement.

Also, do the prices seem fair? This is a family tire pros in northern colorado

Ask for thickness specs on the pads and rotors. Rotors and pads rust every night when it rains, so that's BS.

Does your car drive straight? If so, then you don't need an alignment.

The tranny flush might be the only thing you need, but I can't speculate.

Sounds like the dealer is trying to sell you a lot you don't need. I would find a dealer that's less scumbag.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Does your car drive straight? If so, then you don't need an alignment.

Ummm, no. Alignment doesn't just affect tracking of the car. Toe and camber can adversely affect tire wear and have no noticeable impact on tracking or regular driving.

Ask the shop why they are recommending an alignment. Have them show you the uneven tire wear. Are you regularly rotating your tires? Also ask the shop why they are recommending rear pads and rotors because of "rust". Are the rotors structurally compromised because of corrosion? I seriously doubt it.

If your toe is out and you hold the steering wheel straight, your telling me that the cars going to drive straight?

The the toe is out on both wheels, yes it will. Also, camber won't affect the tracking of the car either.

Ahhaha! This stupid Swype on my phone always messes up words.

I have that trouble too, just can't stop the sarcastic nature I was born with.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

If you woke up today, you have another chance to do it right.

I just hit 50k and replaced my rear pads in Feb. Rotors were still good though. Front pads are coming up to get replaced soon and I may need rotors. Mainly because while I under warranty I had my rotors resurfaced 2-3 times due to steering wheel shutter when breaking.

you cant just assume they need to be replaced. ask the dealer what the specs are on the rotors, and ask what the minimum is on the rotor. its their job to sell you as much crap as possible, even if you dont need it. they count on you, the stupid naive consumer (not saying you are, hell you came to a forum to ask first) to not know the difference and charge you anyway.

if they throw your car on the alignment rack, and its perfectly in spec, theyre gonna drive it off and charge you the hundred bucks anyway. its their job.

2008 2.5i, just hit 50,000 miles and the shop is telling me I should replace rear pads and rotors due to rust (quoted $370), alignment ($60) and replace the trans fluid ($150)). I have an automatic transmission.

Does this seem legitimate? Is this normally the time to do this service? Sched maintenance document says to inspect but nothing about replacement.

Also, do the prices seem fair? This is a family tire pros in northern colorado

Rotors should be fine i replace my fronts around 115K miles and my rear are still in spec at 131K miles. I would replace pads however.

Alignment could be needed if out of spec

ATF flush price seems fair just make sure its a legit flush and make them use Subaru ATF.

Went to the subaru dealership yesterday and they told me the brakes are still good for a while, so I will hold off.

However, over the weekend I had to do some unexpected SERIOUS off roading to get to a campsite and I'm pretty sure my OEM shocks need replaced. Had to go down a 1 hour long trail intended for 4x4 trucks and bottomed out many times. Got big dents in my exhaust, cat and muffler now.

At least I got props from the jeep and 4 runner guys. They were amazed I took a Subaru up the whole trail :)

Went to the subaru dealership yesterday and they told me the brakes are still good for a while, so I will hold off.

However, over the weekend I had to do some unexpected SERIOUS off roading to get to a campsite and I'm pretty sure my OEM shocks need replaced. Had to go down a 1 hour long trail intended for 4x4 trucks and bottomed out many times. Got big dents in my exhaust, cat and muffler now.

At least I got props from the jeep and 4 runner guys. They were amazed I took a Subaru up the whole trail :)

If they clunk now they are toast, luckily replacement KYBs are cheap ;)

Rode fine to work today. How would I tell if they are toast? Rough ride? Uneven tire wear?

How cheap are replacements ?

Find a parking lot with speed bumps, turn radio off, drive over each bump slowly and listen for a clunking type noise or any odd noise from the action of the shock traveling.

The old "settle" test is ok but tough to perform correctly and if you dont know the difference btwn acceptable and unacceptable rebound its useless.

I had bad shocks for 15K miles tire wear was unaffected but I would notice the nose dive under moderate braking.

Archived