LegacyGT.com

Looking for a GT

waphill

I've got a couple questions. New to Subaru's. I've been looking for a 05-09 GT for a while, but haven't had much luck. They seem to be pretty rare in the KC area.

I was planning on having the local dealership do an inspection before purchase. Is there a standard procedure for this? Is there anything extra I should request?

Any info would be appreciated!

Welcome to the forum!

Overall a pre-purchase inspection should cover most things provided you take it to a place that know's subaru's. If you have the dealer do it, and you trust the tech's at said dealer, you should be pretty well set.

I would watch out for anything that has been heavily modded, or shows the signs of being so, as well (unless you are looking for something that is already modded). It is best to get service records as well so you know what kind of care was given to the car. These are things the tech's can/should be able to tell you as well.

http://www.cars101.com is a great resource for learning the basics. If you want to know more about the car's that isn't just the factory spec's then jump around in the technical forum a bit. There is loads of information available for people on this site. Spend a few hours just reading around. You will quickly learn very useful information.

• 2 weeks later...

Did they scale back production numbers in '07? I've been looking for an '07 or up and can't find one remotely close. The only models that seem to come up for sale around here are '05's.

Honestly, the main reason I was looking for an '07 is for the mp3 playback on the stereo. It's not a huge deal, but I'm quite used to it on my other cars and all my music is on mp3 discs! Can an '07 head unit be swapped with an '05 easily?

Maybe I should go that route. What does the forum think? Keep waiting for a newer or just settle for an '05.

What kind of cost would I be looking at to replace the turbo?

I've been looking since the 1st of the year for a clean, lower mileage GT in my area, and am having no luck. I think I might just have to gamble and go for one with higher mileage and plan on replacing the turbo. It seems the only GT's that come up for sale in the midwest are high mileage 05's.

Did they scale back production numbers in '07? I've been looking for an '07 or up and can't find one remotely close. The only models that seem to come up for sale around here are '05's.

The rest of the world got the mid cycle refresh in 2007, North America had to wait until 2008. So 2007 was a short model year.

According to this page, the stereo was upgraded for MP3 in 2007, except for Spec B that got it in 2006.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/legacy2007.html

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

• 3 weeks later...
The 07+ Radio is the one you want (P204-UH), it can be transplanted into an older car if need be but they are hella hard to find (one slipped through my hands just last week :spin:).

I haven't personally price out turbo but I have seen $1200 mentioned as turbo replacement cost.

but it can be done yourself too. there is a DIY walkthru that's pretty good. used can be picked up for around $350 or so.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Archived