LegacyGT.com

Black Box

Does Subaru have a black box or Vehicle Status Data Recorder" (VSDR) on board, just like the one found on the new Nissan GT-R?

if i could afford to buy the new GT-R i would NOT buy one just for that very reason...

i could see every warranty claim turning into a battle!

I'm surprised they aren't standard already. Airplanes kill about 200 people a year in the US. Cars: 45,000. Which ones have data recorders? Not that I look forward to the day they become mandatory, but it sure seems inevitable.

I'm surprised they aren't standard already. Airplanes kill about 200 people a year in the US. Cars: 45,000. Which ones have data recorders? Not that I look forward to the day they become mandatory, but it sure seems inevitable.

problem is, the DRIVERS need the black box, not the cars lol.

imagine the day.....

Black boxes are standard

breathalyzers are standard.

50 mph governed cars.

and all cars made prior to these laws being implemented, are to be crushed...

so basically, a Prius with a breathalyzer/blackbox. :lol:

excpet a plane is piloted by someone who got specialized training and a car is driven by someone who learned by watching it done on tv. (Think Dukes of Hazard)

We already know why cars crash, people can't drive them. What would a black box tell us.... yup, black box confirms it. He was killed when the car stoped abrubtly...by this embankment

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

"Airplanes kill about 200 people a year in the US. Cars: 45,000."

How many airplane trips per year versus how many car trips per year? How many cars have enforced distances between each other? How many cars have controllers watching for problems? How many ..........

so if this tracks everything like speed and stuff then they know when you go fast? my dealer (3 sales person one is the manager) says ill have fun with the LGT, they even told me where to go to have fun (that place loves subaru, the roads are awesome and not many cops)

in the future how everything is electronics and gps - you might get a speeding ticket in the mail saying you went this fast at this place. that would be scary but possible

off track but what about keeping the car under 4k for first 1k, they brought the new 08 STI to an Michelin Autocross with less than 200 miles on the car, 1 day many different events even drifting - the dealer brought the car to the event and raced it

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

imagine the day.....

Black boxes are standard

50 mph governed cars.

Under the new "Obama World Order" this could very well happen. Sorry, couldn't pass it up. :)

The black box is already in alot of high end cars and all GM passenger vehicles and most ford in 2006 and up. Most believe it will be standard in less than 5 years not 10.

you sure it's already in all GM passenger cars? and the Ford vehicles?

high end ones i can kinda see, the GM/Ford passenger cars i don't understand why they would yet...

Under the new "Obama World Order" this could very well happen.

:lol:

you sure it's already in all GM passenger cars? and the Ford vehicles?

high end ones i can kinda see, the GM/Ford passenger cars i don't understand why they would yet...

:lol:

It's just there to confirm how unreliable they are.

Yup black box confirmed, it broke because it's a POS.:lol:

"Airplanes kill about 200 people a year in the US. Cars: 45,000."

How many airplane trips per year versus how many car trips per year? How many cars have enforced distances between each other? How many cars have controllers watching for problems? How many ..........

There are tons of "controlers" watching for problems. They are called the Chips, staters, etc... :p

Sorry, couldn't resisit.

But the day these become manditory does scare me a little. Why do we spend so much money in the automotive worlds on finding that the problem isn't the car, it is the loose screw behind the wheel. Lets drop these manditory changes to the cars, and actually teach people how to drive and make sure they can drive and maintain that knowladge by randomly retaking the test. Driving is NOT a right. It is a privilage that too many think it is a right and that they can drive how ever they want. Hell, most states in this country requires this of the cars already.

Here in CA we have to take our cars in to a shop every 2 years (new cars get a 5 - 6 year exemption from date of purchase) to make sure they are safe to drive and are not poluting the envrionment and crap like that. And here it the kicker, it costs anywhere from $80 - 160 (I have actually seen a place charge that much).

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

imagine the day.....

Black boxes are standard

50 mph governed cars.

Yes so where does it stop? How about cell phone jammers and no radio. How about helmets? NASCAR drivers wear them... Maybe a beverage dispenser like a straw that comes out of the sun visor. How about velcro steering wheels so its harder to take your hands off the wheel. I don't want a car with a black box. Just hope my Miata and Honda Oddssey don't have one. Looks like I'll stick to the Legacy for many years. :)

Actually a good freind of mine is a NH State trooper and it appears that most cars after 2004 have a recorder for accident investigations. Last year a young kid in a Cobalt side swiped an elderly man in a car. The story was that the Cobalt was travelling 55-60 and the gentelman pulled out in fr4ont of him and could not slow down enough. The real story once they used the data showed the Cobalt at 105 slowing to 78 and impacting at 70 plus. Also this was a fatal accident tho the Elderly man. At first it was an accident but after review of the data it is a crime scene.

I have to beleive that if an inexpensive Cobalt has this feature then are cars do as well. Something to think about.

Steve

it's called OnStar

thats an OPTION, and only available on certain cars. (only 11 models i think) and if you don't pay the service, it's not used.

guy at work, brand new Chevy aveo, no onstar.

My dads truck has Onstar, yet he never wanted it or pays for it. the Dealer couldn't use Onstar to track anything.

Actually a good freind of mine is a NH State trooper and it appears that most cars after 2004 have a recorder for accident investigations. Last year a young kid in a Cobalt side swiped an elderly man in a car. The story was that the Cobalt was travelling 55-60 and the gentelman pulled out in fr4ont of him and could not slow down enough. The real story once they used the data showed the Cobalt at 105 slowing to 78 and impacting at 70 plus. Also this was a fatal accident tho the Elderly man. At first it was an accident but after review of the data it is a crime scene.

I have to beleive that if an inexpensive Cobalt has this feature then are cars do as well. Something to think about.

Steve

wow, a 5 minute search just turned up this "blackbox"

Vetronix

thats what it is called.

look it up. its AIR BAG BLACKBOX data recorder. only records speed and such IN A CRASH.

General Motor's Vetronix crash data retrieval tool (CDR) collects vehicle crash data via the air bag system SDM. General motors together with Vetronix Corporation developed the Vetronix CDR System, which downloads the data stored in recordable airbag modules. Includes most 1994 and newer Chevrolet, GMC, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Cadillac, GM trucks, Saturn, and Hummer vehicles have GM airbag SDM recorded data coverage

In response to the call of the National Transport and Safety Board (NTSB) in 1997 that vehicle manufacturers and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration team up to gather information on vehicle crashes using on board collision sensing and recording devices, General Motors expanded the data downloaded to permanent memory in the air bag sensing and diagnostic module at deployment or in a near deployment collision.

so basically it records brake use and speed during an air bag deployment. it can ONLY record the last 5 seconds BEFORE a crash...

so using the quote above on the Cobalt... THIS is why he was at fault. in the final 5 seconds before the crash they could see he was hard on the brakes to avoid the crash. thus he was guilty. had he not hit the other car, no airbag deployment, nobody could have known how fast he was going.

and GM is not the only one to use this type of system either.

so when you drive at 125 mph on the freeway.... the dealer is NOT going to know.

if you have an accident... then you are screwed.

and i only quoted you steve cause of the Cobalt story. not directing this at you. odd nobody did a quick search to find the true answer on the blackbox. (then again i didn't either till now)

Archived