LegacyGT.com

Funny smell when in boost

I got an 05 lgt it's a great car and I love it I have to admit that I am new to the turbo scene but am very handy with a wrench, so what's happening is when I'm in full boost going through the gears on get a funky smell I kinda assumed it's just unburnt fuel but I don't know it may be a boost leak!? Anybody have this issue?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You won't smell a boost leak - it's just air. Unburnt fuel could be possible, especially if your car is tuned, however, you shouldn't really smell that while moving unless you have a rather large exhaust leak. First thing that actually comes to mind is clutch slip under hard acceleration. Maybe it's not slipping enough to really shoot the RPMs up, but could be just enough to get a little smell going.

How many miles on the car? Mods?

Does it smell like clutch? (You say you're handy with a wrench, I assume you know what burning clutch smells like) Otherwise, if your UP is stock, you have a clogged UP cat, and it's burning the debris on its way into your turbo. Replace that shit, post haste, before it borks your entire engine.

Also, check the passenger side valve cover, if the valve cover is leaking it will drip down onto the UP. When you start boosting, the UP will heat up and start burning off the oil, which can smell funky at times. This is another common problem.

Same with the CV joint boot on the passenger side, if it's torn it will fling grease all over the DP, and in return having burnt grease smell.

My wife's balls are delicious.

I just replaced the clutch this weekend and it is working as it should the smell is like rotten eggs, I looked for an exhaust leak around the cat couldn't find anything and deffinatly doesn't smell like burning oil the car is stock for now. Thanks for all the responses!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like the motor is not burning the fuel completely and the cats are storing the excess additives (sulfur). This is one reason for rotten egg smells from the exhaust.

You could try a tune up (plugs, filter) and run fuel injector cleaner to see if that clears it up. If not, the cats or O2 sensors (or both) may need replacing.

Also, burn thru the rest of your gas in the tank, and fill up at a different gas stations. Some stations add different additives than others, so go to a trusted station for next fill up.

Are you running the stock UP?

Again, I reiterate how important it is to replace that, if you haven't already. The rotten eggs smell is the cat material, which means it's loose and will be making its way into your turbine housing, causing an impeller failure, which, left unchecked, WILL cause catastrophic failure.

I wouldn't worry about it. Rotten egg smell is common it's the sulfur. Are you using the same station all the time? Try changing stations and see if the smell gets weaker or stronger. Most new cats smell like that. Usually the smell goes out the back of the car so you don't notice it. So you may have a pin hole exhaust leak you don't really hear but can smell.

I have a similar issue, but the smell I get is more akin to a rubber hose type of smell.... not like sulfer. I haven't really noticed it in recent weeks after changing gas stations, but then again, I haven't been spending too much time in boost either.

Really need to get my #2 mis-fire fixed.....

I also need to get a boost leak check done since I am seeing oil seepage on the turbo side of the intercooler- might very well be leaking there.

Archived