LegacyGT.com

DDM HID KIt Installed

smokinduc

Just finished intalling a 55W 5000k DDM kit on my 08 Spec B. After Sandy, I hit a downed tree because I couldn't see the road in the drizzle.

I have had a DDM kit on my motorcycle the past two years with no issue. The main reason I went with DDM back then, even though they were "cheap" - is because they were the only ones offering a lifetime warranty. And since they were so inexpensive, I bought a spare ballast just in case.

I have read all the recent posts of DDM quality going downhill, but figured what did I have to lose. I ordered the kit - and this time it shipped to me from China. The kit arrived and the ballasts are definitley different that what I received two years ago for the bike. Not sure if this is due to the bike being a 35W ballast, but these new ones definitely appear more "generic".

Installation was a snap. I bought the mounting brackets for a whopping $4 bucks, and it really simplified mounting the ballasts. Here are two pics of how I mounted them. I have an 08, so there was no need to disable the DRL's.

Lights fired right up and what a difference. Time will tell how they hold up, but for $49.00 total shipped - I almost view these as disposable. I have a backup ballast just in case as well. We'll see how they hold up, but at least I can see now!

1639932639_Passsideballast.thumb.jpg.113d4895833a86d9b3a90fc1091114a9.jpg

558634624_Driversideballast.thumb.jpg.695bcac8932b4cf45a927058ff7e30b5.jpg

and yet, you still are curious what color they are?

Why does it matter? Does it matter what people think of the color of your lights? Why not buy the highest lumen output and call it a day?

read: just order 4300K or as close to that as you can get and be happy.

Would you say the color is pure white or white with a hint of blue?

Def pure white. Not a hint of blue. Once you get over 6000K you start picking up the blue. Here's a pic. The camera self adjusted for the bright light, but I think the color is pretty evident.

lights.thumb.jpg.0207afd350a5b9cf33c4242cb1a7a510.jpg

I had DDM on my previous car for 2 years with no issues. I think i am going to give he a shot. Looks really good. For the prices, you cannot go wrong.

Buying DDM stuff now is kind of like buying stuff at Harbor Freight. Cheap, and decent for awhile. And when it breaks, well, it's cheap enough to just buy another. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I've had one of their 55w Kit's with harness for a year now. I love them & can't complain due to the price & lifetime warranty.

The only issue I had was the cheap in-line fuse they use became corroded so the lights stopped working. Took it out, replaced with a quality fuse and haven't had a problem for 8 months.

+ I bought a kit for my wife's Mazda 6 & I can't say enough about them. Her stock bulbs were god awful, so I put in a 55w kit with harness again & would do it again in a heart-beat. They've been in for ~5 months without a hitch.

I would definitely buy from them again.

people rag on DDM but i have only had one issue total with more than 5 sets in 5 different cars, no blown bulbs, no flickering, no issues. I caused my own issue the relay on my harness was positioned so that it was getting splashed inside my fender, caused my lights to go out, replaced relay and moved harness no further issues, ever.

TRS FTW

Got my bulbs from TRS, always have. Here is a 4300K output from my JDM legacy (H7 bulb)

Camera was a bit off focus.

The trick is the get the CORRECT H7 HID bulb, some bulbs are longer than some. The longer ones don't focus the beams for our halogen projectors.

THe right headlight is actually from a USDM headlight. I flipped the cut-off shield around.

The OP is correct. 5000K is as white as you can get. 4300 K is warm white. 6000K Is cool white (hint of blue). A 55W ballast will shift color down (hotter), so if you want pure white @ 55W, get 6000K. @ 5W get 5,000K

20130109_185135.thumb.jpg.88c0d0d01a16a1903dd567b31341bce9.jpg

OP Did you use the "Dual in Dual out" Harness? I am assuming we need the harness for the 55w systems. Can someone confirm this before I purchase these?

I also have been using DDM for my previous cars and Bike without issues. I had a 35w kit on my last car for 2.5 years without issues. Cant complain with the lifetime warranty. TRS is definitely a nice kit though (friend has a set on an Audi).

OP Did you use the "Dual in Dual out" Harness? I am assuming we need the harness for the 55w systems. Can someone confirm this before I purchase these?

Yes, you should use a harness for 55W. The peak startup current exceeds the standard current load, the most common result is the passenger light failing to start consistently.

35W does not need a harness.

Yes, you should use a harness for 55W. The peak startup current exceeds the standard current load, the most common result is the passenger light failing to start consistently.

35W does not need a harness.

Thats what I figured, Thanks Rabid.

I've had the 55W 5K Kit in my 98 LGT for 2+ years... First issue was last week... Blown Fuse!

Although I have heard DDM has gone to a new source in the last year or so, but for the price I don't think you can beat them. Are there better kits out there, sure, but I don't think DDM Kits are failing at such an alarming rate it's worth the price right now.

I would recommend the Harness to connect it direct to Battery though for ANY Kit. While you may not need it for a 35W Kit, I bet it helps reduce any start-up issues, and it's 100% Plug and play, just a little extra wiring (Cheap Insurance IMHO)....

Hell I've started my the car with the lights in the on position and they fire up immediately (2 year old battery and who knows on the Alternator), so with a 35W Kit any extra draw would be handled by the battery with ease. i also bet flickering would be covered by the battery harness, as my 55W Kits don't flicker AT ALL:wub:

OP Did you have any issues with reverse polarity or flickering of anysort? Looking to install on my new Legacy and was just curious?

The entire kit is 100% Plug and Play with weather proof connections. You would have to go out of your way reverse polarity:p, and I bet if you go with the harness to connect direct to battery flickering won't be an issue either:rolleyes:

EDIT: I suppose your could it reverse when wiring Battery Connections, but if you remember red = positive and black = negative (Standard Coloring):p I think you'll be good:cool::rolleyes: Otherwise easy as pie to install:icon_chee

just switched to the 55w and dont kid yourself, the 35w isnt anywhere near good enough light output for safe driving, the 55w is amazing and proper! however, these kits are def cheap, my 35w kit left side went out for a few days and then magically came back on within about 6months, worked great for about another year and did the disappearing act for another 2 days and came back again. I recently bought the 55w to replace it though and they have been great for the 2 weeks that ive had them in, i plan to open up the 35w ballasts and clean up any bad wiring and use for my fogs with 3k yellows.

sidenote: my good friend bought a 55w kit that didnt work upon receipt, he opened up the ballast and the wires were mixed from china, he simply switched and soldered and it worked fine...thats terrible quality but refer to the harbor freight reference above

Archived