LegacyGT.com

System set up, subwoofer question.

RyanRNewberg

So I just put Alpine type R 6.5s all around my car, now Im gonna put subs in but I dont know exactly what I want to go with, I know I want Alpine type Rs, and 10" subs. But I cant decide on if I want two subs or one, with one I will save more room, alot more, and with the extra money I can get a really nice amp, this is the option Im leaning towards, I just want some input on if one sub, obviously with proper amp, will be enough bass? I dont want anything crazy, no need to be rattling cars around me and what not, I just want some nice punch, and to be able to feel it for sure. What do you guys think? Id be getting a sealed box, and Im gonna have an aftermarket deck on the car, all wiring and install will be done by the guys at best buy. Thanks for the help in advance, appreciate it! :)

One 10" or 12" sub in a correctly tuned enclosure and powered by clean power will provide more than enough bass for you. Look at brands like IDMax, Boston Acoustics, Vibe, Crescendo, Hertz, Seas, RE Audio, Digital Designs all make very good subs.

JL audio makes some nice subs. You can even go to a sound shop and grab a pre-cut box with a slot in it for 80 bucks or so. the 10w3's are great, the 10w6's are nice. W7's are too expensive unless you can really get a good deal on it. but the box is bigger for it. Check out their line.

Yeah I've looked around at subs, looked at some friends set ups and checked them out in store and I'm kinda sold on the type r's, though there are some other very nice subs out there. I think I'm just gonna go with one 10 right now, maybe down the road ill decide to add, but I think that should be plenty for now. Do you guys know if there's a sub box that fits like between the inner like fender buldge and the hatch that doesn't cost $350 like the only one i've found? Ill post a picture in a minute to clearify the location. Haha.

This one should be good enough to get the description cleared up. Like I said, I found one fiberglass one, but its $350 and that just seems crazy. If there's not a reasonably priced alternative, Ill just go with the standard box and lose a little more space. Thanks guys.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/RyanRNewberg6123/0430071943.jpg

JL audio makes some nice subs. You can even go to a sound shop and grab a pre-cut box with a slot in it for 80 bucks or so. the 10w3's are great, the 10w6's are nice. W7's are too expensive unless you can really get a good deal on it. but the box is bigger for it. Check out their line.

JL W7 8" with JL High Output box I got the box and speaker for $325. Too bad they discontinue the 8".....

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k219/cheeriox5o4/DSC_0451.jpg

In my truck I used a jl 13tw5 love that thing ... hits hard and sounds great

They do sound pretty good. Probably one of the best slim line subs I've heard and IMO would outperform an Alpine sub. But, if the Alpine sub sounds good to you, that's all that matters.

I just dropped in a JL Audio CS110RG-W3V3 10" PowerWedge W3v3 Sealed Enclosure. It's pretty compact so it takes up just a little space. With the Alpine MRP-M500 amp I got its got plenty of power so it sounds good. Makes my rear dash rattle a little when I push the volume up so I plan to Dynamat it. The Alpine Type R 12' rocks though! I wish I could spare the space for the box. But I'm glad I went with mine. I will round it out with JL C-5 separates this summer.

I used to have the Alpine 10". Good sub. Now I have the 12" type R running off the MRP-M500. Being raised on muscle cars (this is my first Jap vehicle) I learned there is no substitute for cubic inches. That was done only after amping the mains with an MRP-F300. That 10 was (is) one of my faves, but the 12 is simply better for me. I'm paying for it with trunk space though.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

This one should be good enough to get the description cleared up. Like I said, I found one fiberglass one, but its $350 and that just seems crazy. If there's not a reasonably priced alternative, Ill just go with the standard box and lose a little more space. Thanks guys.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/RyanRNewberg6123/0430071943.jpg

PPI amps are great! Too bad they were too big for my application. I went with a JL XD600/1 @ 1.75 ohms... putting out a nice 1200+ watts

I will check again. I thought the guy indicated 600@4 1200@2 and jl didnt recommend nor give published specs under 2 ohms. Also, arent the w7's 3 ohms each. I read somewhere that the w7 series were intended to be applied in sets of 3, making the sub box in parallel total 1ohm.

I could have sworn the 10w7 though was dvc. -scratching head- its too early for math! Im gettin coffee

Archived