LegacyGT.com

"HellaFlush"...I don't understand.

W1CKED

Allow me to preface this post by saying: This is in no way intended to offend/slam/flame/piss off/etc. ANYONE. I am genuinely curious, and I am looking for the input of the forum. If this turns into a flame fest, MODs/ADMINs, please feel free to move this to LOGAN's RUN, with my apologies.

So, the following examples I understand:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5202/5238332307_f606d7773e_z.jpg

NASIOC.com THREAD

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4111/5200124216_61a3b4a31b_b.jpg

NASIOC.com THREAD

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4145/5059234996_aa943cc0f7_b.jpg

LegacyGT.com THREAD

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b240/brooklyngenius/Big%20Event%202/DSC_0118.jpg

LegacyGT.com THREAD

The following examples I DON'T understand:

http://www.urbanracer.com/gallery/articles/event_coverage/2010/simple/69.jpg

NASIOC.com THREAD

http://www.canibeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/comebackkid_2.jpg

NASIOC.com THREAD

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/steve-tracy/8f57da83.jpg

NASIOC.com THREAD

And some people feel so strongly about it, they post stuff like this:

I'm not. I just hate the typical big horsepower, mud flap, supertone, rota x life, ken block nut swingers that only care about one way to build a car and **** and flame the rest. This is why I don't hang out with Subaru kids anymore unless they are into stance and fitment. All of the other cookie cutter Subaru kids that don't have an open mind make the GD chassis the new ricer Honda. **** that ****. So, for all of those kids, get out of this thread and bring your trunk monkeys and rally pigs back to Toys R Us.

Is it just an asthetic thing? Is it so you can fit wider wheels on a car, and still have tires for traction? Like I said at the beginning of the post, not looking to sh*t on anyone...just curious.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its a style, if you dont like it, just move on

not everyone is looking for a car that performs SUPER good

for me, I use my LGT as a DD, thus I want to make my car as aesthetically pleasing as possible

I like the low and slow style, and i do not care about what others think

stretching tire is necessary to have good wheel fitment

stretching tire does NOT make the tire any more dangerous than "regular fitment", read risk does NOT increase

stretching tire also reduces sidewall flex

if I can slide my car sideways at 60+ MPH on stretched tires, I think it'll be just fine for daily use

Stretching a tire means you are using a tire too narrow for the rim, (show me specs on tires used that say they can be put on a rim of that width, NO manufacturer will list the width pictured to be within spec of the tires used) which also points at you have the improper backspacing on the rim to properly fit into the wheel well of the vehicle.... So stemming off of having the incorrect rim spacing you then put a improperly fitted tire on the rim so it doesn't bend your fender flare.

So yes that would point at it being an aesthetic modification only, NO performance/handling gains at all... But I would have to say its more of a visual preference than "Aesthetically Pleasing" since not many are pleased by that look.

I'm all for rockin one's own asthetics be it in style, their car or music...

not everyone is looking for a car that performs SUPER good

for me, I use my LGT as a DD, thus I want to make my car as aesthetically pleasing as possible

I like the low and slow style, and i do not care about what others think

stretching tire is necessary to have good (bad wheel) fitment. the fact you have to stretch/pull/roll your fenders and/or cut out your inner fender liners renders your wheel/tire choice as less then ideal.

stretching tire does NOT make the tire any more dangerous than "regular fitment", read risk does NOT increase.

Please read this for FACTUAL Verbiage:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=199

"The measuring rim width is the industry standardized rim width upon which the tire must be mounted in order to confirm it meets its dimensional targets. Because the width of the rim will influence the width of the tire, a standard rim width for every tire size is assigned and must be used. This standardized measuring rim width allows all of the tires produced around the world to meet the same dimensional standards and therefore, be equivalent with regards to their physical size. The measuring rim width is sometimes referred to as the tire's "design rim width."

stretching tire also reduces sidewall flex

if I can slide my car sideways at 60+ MPH on stretched tires, I think it'll be just fine for daily use

~Sucka-Duck~

it is just aesthetic. cars this low do not handle well. suspension travel is almost nothing so shock don't have the ability to work properly. also the amount of camber decreases braking ability and the fact that they have to stretch narrow tires on to a wide rim does not really improve contact patch.

hella flush is really a show car thing rather than a performance thing. the examples in the pictures have been tastefully done for the most part, but id never do it myself.

I'm with you 100% on your post.

And I agree with your photos as well.

X2, seems like you have a pretty good grip on the situation. The 2nd batch of pics is the kids who thought "If some flush fitiment is good, then too much must be great! Right?":rolleyes:

I'm probably going to get scrutinized when I put 18x9 35mm offset wheels on w/ 245 or 255 tires riding on AST's... I won't be as low as some of these cars though.

Then again, who cares what others think? Do what you do for yourself and your own gratification, that's the way I see it.

• I Donated
IMO, there's not much point to modifications that do nothing to increase performance of a car, but I'm okay with them. To each his own in that situation. When a modification actively decreases performance (e.g. lowering a car way too much and putting on tires that rub if you try to get at all frisky), that's what I have a problem with. Why would you decrease the utility of your car like that? A lot of times, cars lowered this much can't even turn their front wheels all the way!

This is an age-old hot-rod argument. Modifications for customization/individualization sake, and modifications for performance sake.

They did it back in the day with lead sleds, faux side pipes, etc. Now it's hellaflush, body kits, warrior wings, etc.

Same argument...different car.

Then again, who cares what others think? Do what you do for yourself and your own gratification, that's the way I see it.

If the op likes it, so what?????:)

I agree with you guys 110%...

I'm not saying if I like it or I don't...and I never will. I just didn't understand why it was done, physically. (Like why you wouldn't just put a tire on that fit the rim) :confused:

Everyone's that has posted so far has brought their own points to the table, and they are all valid in their own right. I thank you guys (LGT.com) for not turning this into a "flame-fest" as it would've been if I had posted it on another forum.

I'm probably going to get scrutinized when I put 18x9 35mm offset wheels on w/ 245 or 255 tires riding on AST's... I won't be as low as some of these cars though.

255's on a 9" wire rim sounds good to me. its the next step after 245's on a 8.5" rim which is my track setup.

I agree with you guys 110%...

I'm not saying if I like it or I don't...and I never will. I just didn't understand why it was done, physically. (Like why you wouldn't just put a tire on that fit the rim) :confused:

Everyone's that has posted so far has brought their own points to the table, and they are all valid in their own right. I thank you guys (LGT.com) for not turning this into a "flame-fest" as it would've been if I had posted it on another forum.

Just give it time

I think this is an interesting post! Both sides of the argument have merit.

I think that if people want to slamm their cars to the limit and stretch their tires to the point of failure, it is their decison but don't expect sympathy when the ride/NVH/breakage occurs!

I have my Leg GT wagon pretty low with 19s in the Summer but it is far from the examples above. I already hate/fear the bad roads around here...any lower and I'm pretty sure I'll tear the bumper off!

Flame away! ;)

this about sums it up... "Originally Posted by NASIOC Member"

I don't see how having a tire and wheel setup, where one pothole or even losing 5 psi will destroy both rim and tire is a good idea.

So in this pic, right below where the tire says 'outside', that's the rim protector rubber. It's meant to overhang the rim and help prevent curbing. But I guess this guy is covered if he ever needs to drive down railroad tracks

http://www.urbanracer.com/gallery/articles/event_coverage/2010/simple/69.jpg

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I think this is an interesting post! Both sides of the argument have merit.

I think that if people want to slamm their cars to the limit and stretch their tires to the point of failure, it is their decison but don't expect sympathy when the ride/NVH/breakage occurs!

I have my Leg GT wagon pretty low with 19s in the Summer but it is far from the examples above. I already hate/fear the bad roads around here...any lower and I'm pretty sure I'll tear the bumper off!

Flame away! ;)

In which case we know that you would be ill advised to try to follow me through a corner that has one bump.:lol:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Archived