LegacyGT.com

Hello was about to pull the trigger and buy the MagnaFlow Catback exhaust system for my 2007 Spec B.. Been searching around for reviews but can't come to a decision. Looking for something that sounds subtle and not to ricey sounding. Any feed back is much appreciated. :p

Well I have an '06 GT and from what I have looked into, the exhaust is nice, sounds nice...small rumble but not too drony. If you're worried about aesthetics, the welds don't look fabulous on the MagnaFlow from what I understand...

Overall, it's a great exhaust

I've had mine for a while. It's a pretty subtle exhaust compared to the ones that are out there. It's not as quiet as the SPT exhaust, and it and has a really nice bass tone. The exhaust doesn't look out of place on the car, and complements the look. Assembly is pretty easy (no gaskets). It just slides into place, cinch them down, then connect to the downpipe. You can find some used for a decent price. There are plenty of clips on youtube and on the forum that you can listen to. Only issue that I've seen is that one side may be lower than the other. This unfortunately is true with a lot of exhausts, though.

I almost bought a Magnaflow but heard from several others that it tends to drone. Personally I don't mind, but my car has to lug my family, so I went with the tamer SPT. Happy with my choice, it's the deepest, richest sounding one I've heard on these cars. SPT is expensive, but it's worth every penny.

I've got the AVO Cat-Back it looks amazing and sounds even better. No droning sound at all on the highway I drove ~250 miles last friday night and it was super quiet. When you go WOT it's all love to the ears, I am also running a perrin catted down pipe which helps.

I have an 06 lgt with a borla cat back exhaust with a catless cobb downpipe. I love the way it sounds...its not ricey at all and has a nice low rumble to it. You should tune it tho with these modifications... Also, I would recommend youtube for all different type of exhaust sounds.

The magnaflow cat-back sounds killer. Great low rumble at idle, sounds oh so sexy under heavy throttle. Not ricey at all.

There is a little bit on drone on the highway at some speeds, but it's not bad. I find myself turning off the stereo and listening to the exhaust when I drive the car. ;)

It can be a little loud if you're sitting in the backseat, so I am told.

Here is a couple minutes of video I took from inside the car with the windows up, driving around town. Good speakers help. There are several other videos online from outside, people cruising on the highway, etc.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeuXgq2zuy8]YouTube- 2008 Legacy GT Magnaflow Cat-Back - Driving Around[/ame]

Stock

Hogzaust (depending on your washers)

SPT

Magnaflow

AVO, Greddy, ebay (gimmick), etc.

Invidia N1

That's my quick rundown of the volume of the typical aftermarket CBEs that people are running on the LGT or other Subarus. Take it or leave it, or flame away.

It's cool; I'm with the band

Stock

Hogzaust (depending on your washers)

SPT

Magnaflow

AVO, Greddy, ebay (gimmick), etc.

Invidia N1

That's my quick rundown of the volume of the typical aftermarket CBEs that people are running on the LGT or other Subarus. Take it or leave it, or flame away.

The X02 (ebay-cxlightning) is very quiet with and without the resonator. It is actually quieter than my 2 washer Hogzausted stocker. Now with my ERZ Catted DP I would rate it slightly louder than the Borla and SPTs.

I've never heard the x02 in person, I was basing it off the sound clips and it sounded louder (no promises on drone and high RPM whine) than the magnaflow.

No worries, sound clips through videos are very hard to gauge because video and sound quality differs per source.

For the OP I would say the Bosal is probably the best solution for him. Nice and subtle with the boxer rumble.

I would pull your mufflers off first, then drive the car less mufflers, then decide if you want to spend the cash for an exhaust.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The magnaflow cat-back sounds killer. Great low rumble at idle, sounds oh so sexy under heavy throttle. Not ricey at all.

There is a little bit on drone on the highway at some speeds, but it's not bad. I find myself turning off the stereo and listening to the exhaust when I drive the car. ;)

It can be a little loud if you're sitting in the backseat, so I am told.

Here is a couple minutes of video I took from inside the car with the windows up, driving around town. Good speakers help. There are several other videos online from outside, people cruising on the highway, etc.

Sounds louder than usual. Do you have a downpipe/uppipe installed too?

Sold: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B #104 of 500

Sounds louder than usual. Do you have a downpipe/uppipe installed too?

Nope, just catback.

It seems louder because of the camera. It picks up everything (notice you can hear my jacket all the time), plus the camera was sitting above the rear seat where the exhaust is the loudest in the car.

I just put on a magnaflow CBE about 20 days ago, real easy to install, i re-used the stock hanger (since they where rubber and fit around the large magnaflow hanger heads easily) the only issue i had with it is on Y pipe cuts it close to the drive shaft, after about 2 weeks of driving with it on the exhaust shifted when i hit a bump and started grinding the drive shaft, gave me a bit of a scare cause i thought it was something more serious, i took a hammer and "made some clearance" haven't had the problem since, sounds great and is still quiet on idle and rawrs on wot :D

• 3 weeks later...
I just put on a Magnaflow CBE about 20 days ago, real easy to install, i re-used the stock hanger (since they where rubber and fit around the large magnaflow hanger heads easily) the only issue i had with it is on Y pipe cuts it close to the drive shaft, after about 2 weeks of driving with it on the magnaflow exhaust shifted when i hit a bump and started grinding the drive shaft, gave me a bit of a scare cause i thought it was something more serious, i took a hammer and "made some clearance" haven't had the problem since, sounds great and is still quiet on idle and rawrs on wot :D

Lucky the hammer saved you this time :)

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.cvrmotorsports.com most likely. It's like $517 shipped or something like that.

I like the Magnaflow a lot, though it is a bit louder than I'd prefer. SPT would be ideal for me, but they're rare and expensive. If a long resonator in the Magnaflow's midpipe would help with the noise, that would be great (and it likely would help).

Archived