LegacyGT.com

Double din kinda workin

dwolson2

Accidentally put this in the So Cal spot, but none the less....

Just got back from japan with the new Double din conversion kit. Fits alright. Here is where I need help. The JDM Dual HVAC has one 8 pin plug. The USDM has 2 - 8 pin plugs. JDM-8 wires, USDM 9 wires. I have the Japanese pin out(converted to english) for the HVAC, and I also found the USDM pinout here. I need to get a couple female plugs for the USDM and one male plug for my JDM. Also, anyone near north LA, CA who is better at making plugs than me( done it a couple times but not very efficient.) I won't wreck my plugs, or rewire them in case something goes wrong. Not only that I am hoping to make it plug and play and leak out directions on how it works. The Hazard switch doesn't fit due to the brace behind it. nothing a dremel wont fix.(won't cut wires but will cut a hole that you can't see:rolleyes:) At the moment it just hangs near my ipod so I still can use it. One thing I did find out this second time installing(First time I ran into 40 degree weather and the seat warmers just weren't enough) If you don't plug in the HVAC, it will stay at whatever you left it at last. Or so it seems, I left it at 74 then turned of the car and it was blowing the same air temp/speed as before. So if you can leave it at one temp you might be ok. I attached some pics of the install. Also, only one of the 2 male USDM plugs works in the back of the JDM. Thanks for your help!!!

DSCF4369.thumb.jpg.c08756758c3fb8de9e3ba757ac40849e.jpg

DSCF4370.thumb.jpg.a5a63f04efe6a38b82ddc9c8b7f0ab22.jpg

DSCF4371.thumb.jpg.9dc5eefea2b9dfa4fe221fccfbe7ad2e.jpg

DSCF4376.thumb.jpg.e6c93c2355491644e116fc3f3f210f1f.jpg

DSCF4383.thumb.jpg.782d0250b5874e8d991d6b11c95c3be6.jpg

It's good to see someone else playing with this mod. A few other people have tried to install the JDM A/C controls (both single- and dual-zone), without success.

I've started to dig deeper into this project, but know it's going to take more than a simple wiring adapter.

The JDM Dual HVAC has one 8 pin plug. The USDM has 2 - 8 pin plugs. JDM-8 wires, USDM 9 wires.

I need to get a couple female plugs for the USDM and one male plug for my JDM.

Also, only one of the 2 male USDM plugs works in the back of the JDM.

On the USDM cars, the 8-pin plug with the white back ("i85") is mostly for audio-related functions. "i85" is not needed at all for the A/C control. I've posted a pin-out in the bottom half of this post (in my Stock HU info thread on NASIOC).

ADDED: I've gone ahead and pasted the info on connector "i85" here:

Connector "i85" (mostly audio-related functions)

A>
1289640144_Picture012i85radiosocket.thumb.jpg.3b0d0628f11cf1896b2904e3d4fa0d99.jpg

A Front of car's i85 harness plug

B Back of car's i85 harness plug (on 2005-6)

C Back of car's i85 harness plug (on 2007-9)

D i85 socket on back of 2005 radio

Pin numbering when viewing the wires coming out the rear of the car's harness (or looking at the pins on radio's socket):

4 3 2 1

8 7 6 5

Pin-out (USDM 2005 & 2006 Legacies and Outbacks):

[u]Pin[/u]  [u]Function[/u]                               [u]OEM harness wire color[/u] 
1   Signal + (phone input) *               (NC)
2   Tel On (phone input enable) *          (NC)
3   Satellite (steering wheel) switches +  Violet/White
4   Subwoofer +                            Red **

5   Signal – (phone input) *               (NC)
6   Subwoofer –                            White **
7   Satellite (steering wheel) switches –  Orange/White
8   Body Integrated Unit (Illum. Control)  Green

NC = No connection — the factory harness has no wire at this pin position

*Phone input only present on socket on back of 2005/2006 radios. I'm not aware of any cars that use these pins — car's i85 harness does not include these wires.

** Subwoofer output (built-in 5th-channel amp) is only present on HU model P-203UE (CQ-EF1560), which was only found in 2006 Legacy spec.B and Outback VDC models. HU model P-203UH (CQ-EF1561) does not have the sub output.

** Subwoofer wires present only in a few models that have a plain speaker in the rear cargo area (some Legacy/Outback wagons).

Here's Subaru's 2005 Legacy/Outback wiring diagram:

Legacy2005satwoof.thumb.jpg.17c7c2b32cb3ba37bc4ad07c6a5c6652.jpg

The "Power" button appears to be a typo. I think all models have a Mute button instead. Also, there's another resistor in the ladder for Mute (it gives 22 ohms, not 0).

Pin-out (USDM 2007, 2008, 2009 Legacies and Outbacks):

[u]Pin[/u]  [u]Function[/u]                               [u]OEM harness wire color[/u] 
1   Aux Input - Left                       Brown
2   Aux Input - Right                      Yellow
3   Satellite (steering wheel) switches +  Violet/White
4                                          (NC)

5   Aux Input - Audio Ground               Shield or Gray
6   Aux Enable (connect to Chassis Ground) Red/White
7   Satellite (steering wheel) switches –  Orange/White
8   Body Integrated Unit (Illum. Control)  Green

2007-up MYs dropped the subwoofer output and added the Aux input

The other 8-pin plug ("i88") is for the Auto A/C Control system...

Connector "i88" (A/C control and OEM Nav — USDM Legacies and Outbacks)

A>
8256429_Picture013i88radiosocket.thumb.jpg.4e76672e60aa77db6e228968b7b66ba5.jpg

A Front of car's i88 harness plug

B Back of car's i88 harness plug (without Nav wires)

C Back of car's i88 harness plug (with Nav wires)

D i88 socket on back of radio

Pin numbering when viewing the wires coming out the rear of the car's harness (or looking at the pins on radio's socket):

4 3 2 1

8 7 6 5

Pin-out (no Nav):

[u]Pin[/u]  [u]Function[/u]                  [u]OEM wire color[/u] 
1   +12V Ignition (On/Run)    Green/Orange
2                             (NC)
3   TX Data*                  White/Black
4                             (NC)

5   Chassis Ground            Black/Yellow
6                             (NC)
7   RX Data*                  White
8                             (NC)

NC = No connection — the factory harness has no wire at this pin position

Pin-out (with Nav):

[u]Pin[/u]  [u]Function[/u]                  [u]OEM wire color[/u] 
2   Navi. Signal –            Red/White**
3   TX Data*                  White/Black
4   Navi. Signal +            Red/Black**

6   Navi. In                  Red?**
7   RX Data*                  White
8   Navi. Beep                Green**

* From car's Auto A/C Control Module perspective (i.e., TX is to radio's A/C control panel, RX is from A/C control panel)

** ADDED: Models that have (or are pre-wired for) the factory Nav system do have pins/wires at pins 2, 4, 6, and 8. Wires are not on all models.

ADDED:

Connector "i88" (JDM Dual-zone ACC module)

996466793_EDMi88harnessrear.jpg.d2d049bd13a55d74cceee9485d6934e6.jpg

Back of EDM (European model) car's i88 harness plug

Pin numbering when viewing the wires coming out the rear of a JDM car's i88 harness (or looking at the pins on your factory radio's or the JDM A/C panel's i88 socket):

4 3 2 1

8 7 6 5

[u]Pin[/u]  [u]Function[/u]                  [u]JDM factory wire color[/u] 
2   +12V Accessory            Yellow [or Orange/Red]
3   TX Data                   White/Black
4   Illumination +            Violet

6   (NC)
7   RX Data                   White
8   Dimmer (Illum. –)         Black/White

In North American cars, only pins 1, 3, 5, and 7 are the same signals as on JDM models.

JDM and EDM models have additional/different signals at pins 2, 4, and 8 which the JDM module requires to work.

NC = No connection — the JDM factory harness has no wire at this pin position

Is i88 the one that fits the JDM module? [ADDED: Yes]

Have you tried plugging it in and running your car? If not, I recommend not doing that yet. Someone else who tried (with a single-zone, if I recall) thought he may have damaged the JDM module. And since there wasn't anybody around with a JDM car, he couldn't test the module to see whether it still works.

Here are a couple of older threads with info & pics of the JDM module:

1185115555_Picture006i85cropped.thumb.jpg.9a482f9018dc2ae6e2ced33f9852f469.jpg

313131375_Picture009i88croppedrear.thumb.jpg.a8167424f0563515f39e2aea391d070c.jpg

1659106484_Picture007i85croppedrear2.thumb.jpg.0c103da70e3ba6c5fb77e2f912925d6c.jpg

909098189_i88DeerKiller2.jpg.a6f190df47ca596edaab3bfd3b0373f7.jpg

2085300527_i852005.thumb.jpg.f96f421e92e593e0b823739def3c7f82.jpg

1595664509_i88front.thumb.jpg.1edb3745fcc025bc89d0d5eb9c9b8b6d.jpg

So what do you have working, and what do you not have working? Sorry, your first post is a tad confusing to me.

Glad someone's picking up this again (for the 3rd/4th time? :lol: ). Definitely in to see what becomes of this.

The Audio doesn't appear to go through the 2-small 8 pin plugs, I bought a wiring adapter from best buy for the Audio, and all speakers work and sound great. I don't have the steering wheel controls, since I have the 5EAT. My "guess" is that one of the 9 wires coming in on the USDM model is for the steering controls. Which would leave 8 and 8. When I got this Dual Hvac, I made sure he knew I had a '06, with 6cd and auto. From what I was understanding(japaenglish) there might be different pieces with the same model number. When I searched on here before, I got the same part number for the single HVAC as my dual. Also, I havn't eveen gotten power on the screen, I tried plugging in the one plug that did fit, and nothing, no smoke or anything, just nothing. didn't expect anything either, cause there are only 5 of the 8 pins used. The "idea" is hopefully I can take those two plugs and make a harness, that would go into the back of the HVAC. Most electrical stuff in cars are just looking for some kind of signal or voltage, so if I could find out what voltage its looking for, maybe I can fab something up. Also, there is the possibility that only one wire was off for the person who tried it before, which would render it usless. I sent out the wiring diagrams I got off of the subaru technical manual(in japanese) translated to english, to someone in my area. If there is anyone who has parts/experience with this, sed me a PM with your email and I will send you out a copy. Thanks for all your help!

I will check today, I will take a pic of which of the plugs work

It's good to see someone else playing with this mod. A few other people have tried to install the JDM A/C controls (both single- and dual-zone), without success.

I've started to dig deeper into this project, but know it's going to take more than a simple wiring adapter.

On the USDM cars, the 8-pin plug with the white back ("i85") is mostly for audio-related functions. It shouldn't be needed at all for the A/C control. I've posted a pin-out in the bottom half of this post (in my Stock HU info thread on NASIOC).

Is i88 is the one that fits the JDM module?

Have you tried plugging it in and running your car? If not, I recommend not doing that yet. Someone else who tried (with a single-zone, if I recall) thought he may have damaged the JDM module. And since there wasn't anybody around with a JDM car, he couldn't test the module to see whether it still works.

The I85, is only audio, and yes it works with the regular best buy adapter with no problems. The I85 adapter, there are 2 of. but they both aren't 185, they look similar but they are different. I am going to go figure out which one is the one that fits.

On the USDM cars, the 8-pin plug with the white back ("i85") is mostly for audio-related functions. It shouldn't be needed at all for the A/C control. I've posted a pin-out in the bottom half of this post (in my Stock HU info thread on NASIOC).

Is i88 is the one that fits the JDM module?

here is a picture of the plug. This is the only plug that physically fits into the JDM HVAC. The wires going to the plug are:

Green with orange stripe

Black with yellow stripe

White with black stripe

White

DSCF4386.thumb.jpg.961ceb6684cac20c586bac5d2ade0529.jpg

The "idea" is hopefully I can take those two plugs and make a harness, that would go into the back of the HVAC. Most electrical stuff in cars are just looking for some kind of signal or voltage, so if I could find out what voltage its looking for, maybe I can fab something up. Also, there is the possibility that only one wire was off for the person who tried it before, which would render it usless. I sent out the wiring diagrams I got off of the subaru technical manual(in japanese) translated to english, to someone in my area. If there is anyone who has parts/experience with this, sed me a PM with your email and I will send you out a copy. Thanks for all your help!

That was what I was thinking some months ago when I was going to try it (never did). That people should be able to take certain pins from USDM harness A & B and make a single harness for JDM HVAC connector. I contacted Kenwood about it, but they wouldn't answer any of my questions or even acknowledge they made the piece.

Its funny because kenwood actually makes a factory radio for JDM cars! lol

That was what I was thinking some months ago when I was going to try it (never did). That people should be able to take certain pins from USDM harness A & B and make a single harness for JDM HVAC connector. I contacted Kenwood about it, but they wouldn't answer any of my questions or even acknowledge they made the piece.

The Audio doesn't appear to go through the 2-small 8 pin plugs, I bought a wiring adapter from best buy for the Audio, and all speakers work and sound great. I don't have the steering wheel controls, since I have the 5EAT. My "guess" is that one of the 9 wires coming in on the USDM model is for the steering controls. ...

The I85, is only audio, and yes it works with the regular best buy adapter with no problems. The I85 adapter, there are 2 of. but they both aren't 185, they look similar but they are different. ...

Let's clear up a little confusion... :)

• Connector "i26" is the 14-pin harness that has the speaker and power wires for the radio.

The adapter you got from Best Buy plugs into that, and allowed you to wire up your new head unit.

• Connector "i85" has 2 pins for Steering Wheel Controls and 1 pin for the "Illumination Dimness Cancel" function.

The i85 socket on 2005-2006 Legacy radios also has 3 pins for a telephone handsfree audio input (not used in any USDM cars, as far as I know), and 2 pins for a subwoofer output (used in some wagons for the rear cargo sub).

On 2007-up Legacies, i85 has 4 pins for Aux Input (instead of phone and subwoofer).

Again, nothing on i85 is needed / used by the Auto A/C controller.

I've added the pin-out for connector "i85" in post #3, above.

• Connector "i88" has 4 pins for the Auto A/C controller.

From the JDM wiring diagrams (thanks for sending those!) JDM cars use the same 4 pins as on the harness on USDM cars. The JDM's harness adds two more wires for illumination (same colors/functions as the illumination pins on the 14-pin radio harness) [ADDED:] plus a wire for +12V Accessory (key-switched) power.

The i88 socket on 2005-2006 USDM Legacy radios also has pins for navigation audio input, but these are not used in any USDM cars (as far as I know) — the car's harness does not have those pins/wires.

[more to follow shortly]

Well a new update, the Auto temp does for sure work at your last setting, weather hot or cold, like when its plugged in, so again, I set it at 74 AUTO, turned off the car and unplugged it, installed the new radio with out the AC controls and I still have 74!

Well a new update, the Auto temp does for sure work at your last setting, weather hot or cold, like when its plugged in, so again, I set it at 74 AUTO, turned off the car and unplugged it, installed the new radio with out the AC controls and I still have 74!

That's because the 'brain' for the HVAC is not in the HVAC panel. It's stored somewhere else (ECU maybe?).

Not sure if these are necessary, but they may be helpful down the line (how I'm not sure :lol: ).

The rears of both an '05 and an '08 radio.

I think this is the 2005 radio

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/zmarko/IMAG0043.jpg

And I think this is the 2008 radio. If I got it backwards, lemme know and I'll switch it up. :lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/zmarko/IMAG0042-1.jpg

GM does the same kind of thing, with GM, if you have a tech 2(scan tool) you can control all the blend doors through the HVAC computer.

That's because the 'brain' for the HVAC is not in the HVAC panel. It's stored somewhere else (ECU maybe?).

[the car remembers the last temperature with the control panel disconnected] because the 'brain' for the HVAC is not in the HVAC panel. It's stored somewhere else (ECU maybe?).

It's the A/C Control System module, buried deep inside the dash. That module is what controls all of the vent servos, blower fan, compressor clutch, rear defogger, etc.

... I haven't even gotten power on the screen, I tried plugging in the one plug that did fit [which was i88], and nothing, no smoke or anything, just nothing.

i88 is the plug that should work. As I said, we won't need any of the wires from i85.

Since you've tried it (and there wasn't any smoke :)), I can think of two possible reasons why the JDM module didn't show any signs of life:

A) The car's harness in USDMs doesn't really provide +12V on pin 1 (contrary to what the USDM wiring diagrams show). zmarko or dwolson2, do you have a voltmeter you can use to verify that?

B) On power-up, the JDM module attempts to handshake with the car's Auto A/C Control Module. If it doesn't like what it sees, it halts and never lights up.

I can't check mine, my Multi-Meter is in storage and I wont get my stuff till July:(

It's the A/C Control System module, buried deep inside the dash. That module is what controls all of the vent servos, blower fan, compressor clutch, rear defogger, etc.

i88 is the plug that should work. As I said, we won't need any of the wires from i85.

Since you've tried it (and there wasn't any smoke :)), I can think of two possible reasons why the JDM module didn't show any signs of life:

A) The car's harness in USDMs doesn't really provide +12V on pin 1 (contrary to what the USDM wiring diagrams show). zmarko or dwolson2, do you have a voltmeter you can use to verify that?

B) On power-up, the JDM module attempts to handshake with the car's Auto A/C Control Module. If it doesn't like what it sees, it halts and never lights up.

do you know if anyone has been able to run a car PC with a scan tool USB? Couldn't you run a car pc and change the temp as needed with the scanner?

I doubt it. The A/C Control Panel and A/C Control System module have a "private" communication link. I don't think you can control the system via the CAN bus.

I have a voltmeter, but it's packed up somewhere and I'm gonna be moving somewhere in a couple months so I'd rather not un-pack tons of shit to find it. If no one can find one in a few days to get that answer, I'll search for it.

...I can think of two possible reasons why the JDM module didn't show any signs of life:

Even if (B) is the problem, the display module's built-in diagnostics might still work. Try these tests:

(Procedure from the 2008 "vacation pics". Button combinations are different for 2005-2006 factory radio; see 2005 vacation pics for details)

1) Control Panel (buttons / display) Test:

1. Turn key Off.
  2. Connect i88 again to the JDM module.
  3. While holding the AUTO and MODE buttons, turn key to On (no need to crank engine).
  4. All indicators should light up for approx. 5 seconds, then turn off.
  5. Try each button and dial. Each should cause a different set of indicator(s) to light up.

2) A/C Control System Communication Test:

Normally this is done by disconnecting the plug from the A/C Control Module (buried somewhere in the dash). To avoid doing that, you'll need to use micro alligator clips (or some other kind of connectors) to provide +12V and Ground to the correct pins on the A/C Control Panel, and jumper the TX and RX communication pins.

1. While holding the AUTO and A/C buttons, apply +12V to pin 1.
  2. Press each button / knob. Display should show "CL".
  3. Turn off power and remove the TX/RX jumper.
  4. Repeat the test. Display should show "OP".

3) A/C Control System Sensor and Actuator Tests:

1. Turn key Off.
  3. While holding the A/C and Front Defroster buttons, turn key to On (no need to crank engine).
  4. All indicators should blink 4 times, then turn off.
  5. System will be in "sensor/potentiometer test mode"
  6. (See the procedure in the "vacation pics" for details).
  7. Press Defroster button to switch to "Actuator/Fan/Clutch test mode"
  8. (See the procedure in the "vacation pics" for details).

(for some of the sensor / actuator tests, you'll need to run the engine)

If the JDM module doesn't like the USDM Auto A/C Control Module, test #3 likely won't work.

It's possible that the JDM module wants you to hold different buttons to enter the various diagnostic modes. If any of the above tests don't work, you can try other two-button combinations (choosing 2 of 9 buttons = 36 possible combinations). Be careful — if you see anything weird, kill the power before hitting any more buttons.

I will try this tomorrow if I get a chance, otherwise it will be later this week. Thank You for the help!

Just checked out your vacation pics, and I went on a similar vacation, just didn't make it as far...

Even if (B) is the problem, the display module's built-in diagnostics might still work. Try these tests:

(Procedure from the 2008 "vacation pics". Button combinations are different for 2005-2006 factory radio; see 2005 vacation pics for details)

1) Control Panel (buttons / display) Test:

1. Turn key Off.

3. While holding the
    AUTO
    and
    MODE
    buttons, turn key to On (no need to crank engine).

4. All indicators should light up for approx. 5 seconds, then turn off.

5. Try each button and dial. Each should cause a different set of indicator(s) to light up.

2) A/C Control System Communication Test:
Normally this is done by disconnecting the plug from the A/C Control Module (buried somewhere in the dash). To avoid doing that, you'll need to use micro alligator clips (or some other kind of connectors) to provide +12V and Ground to the correct pins on the A/C Control Panel, and jumper the TX and RX communication pins.

1. While holding the
    AUTO
    and
    A/C
    buttons, apply +12V to pin 1.

2. Press each button / knob. Display should show "CL".

3. Turn off power and remove the TX/RX jumper.

4. Repeat the test. Display should show "OP".

3) A/C Control System Sensor and Actuator Tests:

1. Turn key Off.

3. While holding the
    A/C
    and
    Front Defroster
    buttons, turn key to On (no need to crank engine).

4. All indicators should blink 4 times, then turn off.

5. System will be in "sensor/potentiometer test mode"

6. (See the procedure in the "vacation pics" for details).

7. Press Defroster button to switch to "Actuator/Fan/Clutch test mode"

8. (See the procedure in the "vacation pics" for details).

(for some of the sensor / actuator tests, you'll need to run the engine)

If the JDM module doesn't like the USDM Auto A/C Control Module, test #3 likely won't work.

It's possible that the JDM module wants you to hold different buttons to enter the various diagnostic modes. If any of the above tests don't work, you can try other two-button combinations (choosing 2 of 9 buttons = 36 possible combinations). Be careful — if you see anything weird, kill the power before hitting any more buttons.

Look at page 4 of 8 on the subaru wiring ON JDM, I know its blurry, it printed off that way, but it looks like there is an acc and a IG wiring. Possibly 2 power sources? Any thoughts?

I'm thinking power to pin 2 what do you think the number in the upper right is? look at page 5190 of vacation pics 05 for a comparison(last page of link above)

Archived