LegacyGT.com

flat tire, replace all four? :(

foxymomo

hey guys. snow is in the air, and on the road. slid into the curb today, and blew a hole in my left front tire sidewall. thats it, that tire is toast. now, for my question. the car was bought maybe a month or two ago, and came with brand new miles. the tires probably have about 700 miles on them, maximum. if i replace one, do i still need to replace all four? is this mileage significant enough to wear and warrant 4 new tires? or will i be safe with just a new left front? also, how long can i run on the spare without damaging the drivetrain? thanks in advance.

With those low mileage, just replace the tire with the exact same tire as the others. You'll be fine. The spare is recommend up to 70 miles no faster than 50mph, but you should be good up to 100 miles.
My wife's balls are delicious.

As long as its within 1/32 of an inch tread difference your be fine if its any more then your need to get all new I'm in the same boat as you except its my front right tire bad thing is my old three tires are 7/32 and the new one is 11/32 so I'm getting all new tires Friday or Saturday kinda excited on the new tires

While you have the spare on I'd recommend bringing it up to the proper pressure, because I'm guessing it's probably going to be 10psi-20psi low.

You were right, it was actually a bit lower than 20 psi but I had a compressor with me when my tire went flat so I brought it up. Lesson learned, always check the spare pressure as well when you fill up your tires. Cost me 175 bucks for the tire and installation, and its just a shitty all season. That was my window tint money :'(

As long as its within 1/32 of an inch tread difference your be fine if its any more then your need to get all new I'm in the same boat as you except its my front right tire bad thing is my old three tires are 7/32 and the new one is 11/32 so I'm getting all new tires Friday or Saturday kinda excited on the new tires

Are you getting winters or all seasons? I'd be excited to, but I don't have the extra cash for a whole new set.

You can certainly just replace the one tire. With only 700 miles, you can probably get away with just picking up a brand new one and immediately put it on the car.

However, to be absolutely sure, I would measure the tread of the three remaining tires. Then you can talk to a tire seller, like Tire Rack and see if you need to have the tire shaved. Not all tire sellers offer a shaving service, so if you need to remove a bit of tread, it's easiest to purchase the tire from some place that has the ability to shave them.

You can certainly just replace the one tire. With only 700 miles, you can probably get away with just picking up a brand new one and immediately put it on the car.

However, to be absolutely sure, I would measure the tread of the three remaining tires. Then you can talk to a tire seller, like Tire Rack and see if you need to have the tire shaved. Not all tire sellers offer a shaving service, so if you need to remove a bit of tread, it's easiest to purchase the tire from some place that has the ability to shave them.

Didnt know they offered a tire shaving service. I went to a garage yesterday, they told me it would be just fine, so I just put on a brand new one.

Indeed I had a tire shaved down to match the other three already on my truck but in my case though for my car my tires now would only last till about the fall before I'd have to buy new so I'm just getting new ones now so in some cases it might be best to just buy new depending on the tread depth

Indeed I had a tire shaved down to match the other three already on my truck but in my case though for my car my tires now would only last till about the fall before I'd have to buy new so I'm just getting new ones now so in some cases it might be best to just buy new depending on the tread depth

Yeah i ended up being safe with only 1.

While you have the spare on I'd recommend bringing it up to the proper pressure, because I'm guessing it's probably going to be 10psi-20psi low.

10-20psi low - HA! I just fragged a tire on the way home from work and when I got the spare out it was at 0psi. Good thing I always carry a bicycle track pump in my car. I was actually lucky the bead hadn't separated from the rim.

10-20psi low - HA! I just fragged a tire on the way home from work and when I got the spare out it was at 0psi. Good thing I always carry a bicycle track pump in my car. I was actually lucky the bead hadn't separated from the rim.

I have an electric compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter. In fact, it's the only compressor I have so I use it for all inflatable needs at or away from home.

*ENTER PATRIOTS JOKE HERE*

I have an electric compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter. In fact, it's the only compressor I have so I use it for all inflatable needs at or away from home.

*ENTER PATRIOTS JOKE HERE*

Ah, but my way, every time I get a flat I can skip a workout because of all the exercise I get pumping the tire up from 0 to 60psi:D

Archived