LegacyGT.com

6MT swap gurus please confirm this...

sixspeedlegacy

I did search but was hard to find this specific info through everything.

Did the splines on the STi tranny change from 04? When I previously did my swap using an 04 sti tranny I used my 2001 4EAT driveshaft with no issue. I now have a 2003 4EAT(supposedly) driveshaft from an outback now and it will not work with the 2006 STi transmission.

Who here has specifically swapped a 2006 STi tranny and what driveshaft did you use? If I just need a 2005-2009 2.5i auto driveshaft I will buy that but I want to be certain that will even work with the 2006 tranny.

I am running the R160 in the rear as well.

Any help and confirmation would be great, I'd prefer someone who has physically done this themselves with a 2006 STi transmission if possible so I can get the right one on order ASAP.

thanks for the help!

Ben

All rear output splines are the same.

Did you check the replacement driveshaft for damage?

Are you certain on this? I tried both the auto shaft and the 5mt that I had and neither worked. Maybe I'll have to check the trans for damage on the splines. There was a bit of rust on the splines on the auto tranny driveshaft so maybe that was the issue. I'll have to check this weekend.

Thanks for the info does anyone else know if it is true that the rear splines are all the same?

thanks

Ben

Ben

For what its worth the answers to your questions are in 1 of 3 main threads if you read through them. NSFW, Groffs and Hammer downs.

With that being said, I do not think the 04-up STI transmissions differ in length so the driveshaft should be the same no matter what STI transmission you have.

I just did the swap with an 08 STI transmission into my Outback XT and used a 2006 2.5i 4EAT driveshaft and it worked perfect. That was the shaft recommended in the threads for the legacy GT.

The driveshaft I used will work with the 06 transmission and I purchased mine off ebay.

When you say splines are you talking about the axles? Reason I ask is there are no splines on the driveshaft

The drive shaft just bolts up with 4 bolts.

The R160 will only work with the 06 transmission if its a 3.54 gear ratio.

I did search but was hard to find this specific info through everything.

Did the splines on the STi tranny change from 04? When I previously did my swap using an 04 sti tranny I used my 2001 4EAT driveshaft with no issue. I now have a 2003 4EAT(supposedly) driveshaft from an outback now and it will not work with the 2006 STi transmission.

Who here has specifically swapped a 2006 STi tranny and what driveshaft did you use? If I just need a 2005-2009 2.5i auto driveshaft I will buy that but I want to be certain that will even work with the 2006 tranny.

I am running the R160 in the rear as well.

Any help and confirmation would be great, I'd prefer someone who has physically done this themselves with a 2006 STi transmission if possible so I can get the right one on order ASAP.

thanks for the help!

Ben

Thanks Scooby2.5,

The specific question I asked was not covered, I was wondering if the splines on the transmission output shaft changed. There are splines on the driveshaft yoke that is what slides on to the transmission output shaft and drives power to the rear wheels. My 2003 4EAT driveshaft was not sliding on to the transmission splines.

So it was not a question of length of driveshaft it was a question of if splines had changed since 04.

I think the issue is likely just that there was some surface rust on my other 4EAT driveshaft and that is why it was not sliding on to the output shaft.

I bought a 2006 2.5i 4EAT driveshaft just for good measure, it also has a lot of surface rust on it so I'll have to make sure I thoroughly clean the rust off before attempting to install it.

Thanks for the input.

Ben

Oh OK, I wasn't thinking about where it goes into the transmission, sorry.

Yea I am pretty sure those splines have always been the same. In all my research this has never been mentioned.

In fact its even the same on the 5 speed from what I gather because the driveshafts have all been interchangeable with the exception of the length and the yoke on the R180/R160

Thanks, yea that is what was confusing is that my old 5mt one would not even go on. All of them had some surface rust but the 5mt was pretty minimal so that is what was concerning me is I thought that would at least go in to make sure the splines were correct. I tried to make sure I was pushing it in parallel and it would engage at the very end to where I could make the transmission rotate with the driveshaft but it would not go on any further than what I would guess was 2mm.

I'll find out tomorrow and update this thread once the problem is hopefully solved in case someone else has the issue.

Ben

Archived