LegacyGT.com

Cobb Support Kinda Stinks

So I got a check engine light with blinking cruise while driving to work today. The car isn't in super-limp mode, still makes boost, seems normal. I get to work and pull out my AccessPort to read the code, only the AP didn't do anything. I got no display.

So I go in to the office and plug the AP into the computer and see the same thing. No display.

Then I called Cobb support and the tech suggested I download the AP Manager application and see if AP Manager can communicate with the AccessPort. It can in fact communicate, read the firmware version, serial number, maps, etc.

That is good because it means only the display will need to be replaced. Sounds great, until he tells me that it will cost me $25 plus shipping. :eek:

Not only that, but mine has a very low serial number indicating it is likely a V2 and not V2B, so replacing the screen isn't as easy, it will need to be soldered in instead of simply sliding into a socket. If that is the case they'll give me a discount and only charge me $100 instead of the usual $150 :mad:

Yeah, it is like 8 years old but I spent $700 on this thing in 2006. I honestly expected the repair to be free. American companies need to provide good customer service, otherwise what the hell am I paying for?

Last week I sent in a $20 butane lighter and it was repaired for free, it has a lifetime warranty. If any of my $400 to $600 guns has an issue the manufacturer will repair it for free. MAGPUL replaced a defective front sight for free, no questions asked. My CutCo knives need to be sharpened so I'm going to send those in and guess what, they're going to do it for free.

I have an RMA number created, but I'm going to think about this a bit. I'm not sure I want to have this thing repaired if it is going to cost me $100. I could just remove the battery cable to clear the code and then rent a code reader if it comes back. I guess I would be out a couple hundred bucks when it comes time to sell the car if I can't sell the AP, but this just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

• Moderators

No repair on an 8 year old electronics device is going to be free. That's a ridiculous expectation, IMO.

The $100 should also upgrade your whole unit to the V2B model, which is actually a decent step up if that's the case--faster, no more dongle either. Check with them to confirm that would be the case or see if they'll help you out to get it upgraded.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

My limited (ie, called Cobb 3 times, ever) with Cobb has always been positive. A lot of times with customer service, it could just be that particular associate who picked up the phone at the time. Try calling back at another time and test your luck with another associate. Another option is, rather than sink $100 into an old V2, you could trade it in for the V3 (+ $$). Good luck.

my screen went bad also. was 100$ but they gave me the newest version accesportport v2 with the new style obd2 cable. so i said whatever.

like barman said, its an 8 year old electronic device. the screen is going to fail eventually. most electronic devices have a 1 year warranty. i would only be pissed if i bought a new one and like 14 months in the screen failed and they wouldn't cover it.

100$ over 8 years isn't bad. so you fix it. spend 700 on the unit. 100$ on the repair and its worked 8 years,

100$ a year investment. what is that? a day of work for someone making next to minimum wage per year.

you could also trade it in for 350 to cobb and spend 350$ to get a v3. then keep that n sell it for more money later.

No repair on an 8 year old electronics device is going to be free. That's a ridiculous expectation, IMO.

The $100 should also upgrade your whole unit to the V2B model, which is actually a decent step up if that's the case--faster, no more dongle either. Check with them to confirm that would be the case or see if they'll help you out to get it upgraded.

Yes, he said it would be an upgrade to the 2B model with a one year warranty for $100 if the screen can't be simply replaced.

I am slowly starting to accept the fact that warranties on electronics are different than those on mechanical devices, you have a point there. Most computer parts come with a three year warranty, some enterprise level hardware has a five year warranty, but eight years is a long time.

If your computer died that you bought in 2006, and you called dell/hp/apple/any company and said you wanted it fixed for free they would laugh. I had a Apexi power fc die 2 weeks outside of the warranty and they charged $800 to fix the board and the entire unit new is $1000. If you ask me $100 to upgrade the entire unit to a 2B is a pretty fair deal

But it's not really old tech. They still sell the V2b bnib as a less expensive option of for people who dont need the fancy V3.

I had great service from Cobb. Nearly the same thing. V2 went in to be re-licensed, they sold me an upgrade to the V2b for a few bucks more than the cost of just the relicensing. Got a whole new unit shipped to my door.

Your 7 year old limited lifetime warranty is obviously going to have some holes in it... especially if they come out with a revision AND a new model. If you want a better warranty go shop at their competition who make and sell accessports with a better warranty... oh wait.

so I searched the site, and learned that when threads were boring you were supposed to hijack them with pictures of sandwiches.

http://t1motorsport.com/img/T1/Oil/Aluminum%20CNC%20Oil%20Cooler%20Filter%20Sandwich%20Adapter%20Plate%20AN%208.jpg

Oh hey and BTW I have to fix my head gaskets on my car because it's 8 years old. What do you think Subaru is going to do for me in this case? Give me a discount for repair? Nada... I'm on my own and accepted that after the initial warranty went up. This was the first car I chose not to pay for an extended warranty. Just never seemed to get the value.

Put all of this in perspective man. Cobb has move on in tech. They can't keep supporting the old versions.

Archived