LegacyGT.com

Grimmspeed catted downpipe emissions

FiftyTwoEighty

So, I picked up a Grimmspeed downpipe through the GB on NASIOC. Upon discussing it with them, they told me that it was using a high flow OBD2 compliant cat. It's a high quality unit all the way through. Today, I took it in for an emissions test and it passed the sniffer test with flying colors. Naturally, they failed it anyway because they couldn't verify that the cat was EPA certified and they actually knew that it should have two cats. With a different crew for the visual, it very well could have passed. FTW, this was the emissions shop on County Line. Just thought some of you guys might find that interesting. It's worth it to me one way or the other. Happy trails.

Sent from my Lumia Icon using Tapatalk

That's semi bs. I know that your 05 should have two cats. But i doubt they know the difference in LGT models... My car came with one cat stock, how do they know yours has two?

But i'm seriously surprised they failed you. Cool guys over there

Yes, they were very amicable when they failed me. As for what Im going to do, I'll swap out the Grimmspeed DP for the stock unit and bring it back in to pass the visual and then bring it back home to swap them back. With some luck, I'll be able to avoid this next time by passing the roadside emissions trucks. The point for this post was to point out that Grimmspeed is using a high quality cat in their downpipe. Most aftermarket downpipes use an OBD1 cat. I have a graveyard full of them in my garage. None of them even got close to passing the sniff test. 😊

I read on the corvette forums recently someone else failed locally from having high flow cats, passing sniffer but no visible EPA stamp on the cats. Did you ask if they would have passed had you had two cats in the factory locations? Or would no visible EPA stamp be enough to fail you?

Honestly, I think they would have failed me one way or the other. In this case, he specifically cited that they were unable to verify that the cat had an EPA stamp on it but earlier in the discussion, he asked me if it had two cats. He pulled his manager out to look at it and everything. I don't think they expected it to pass the sniff test so when it did, they had to come up with another reason to fail it.

That is inherently the problem, isn't it? If you can only pass a visual inspection with the OEM cat and downpipe, that inherently encourages people to run without a cat where they aren't running an OEM configuration. If you have to drop your downpipe to pass every couple of years, you might as well save some coin and get a few extra horsepower. If that is what you are leaning to, that is completely understandable. However, in my opinion, it is worth it to run with a GOOD cat just so that it doesn't smell like a distillery when I fire it up in the garage. Hopefully, I will be able to avoid the visual next time by driving past one of the road side emissions stations next time around.

• 5 weeks later...
So, I pulled the Grimmspeed and put on the OEM downpipe to get it through emissions. I was unable to get any paperwork from Grimmspeed or the manufacturer of the cat to validate that it is OBDII compliant. Clearly, it COULD be but I suspect that they haven't cleared it through the EPA. So, for all intents and purposes, it isn't OBDII compliant. Naturally, the second time I ran it through, they barely gave it a second glance.

Archived