LegacyGT.com

I have a 2005 Legacy GT 2.5 Wagon, 38,000, with original factory tires. They are really noisy. Can I put a non-low profile tire on my wagon? If so, suggestions and if not suggestions for a less noisy tire.

Go on tirerack.com, view tires available for your car and read the customer reviews. Also, inspect your current tires for uneven wear/choppiness in the tread. An alignment issue can cause them to wear unevenly and get louder as they get worse.

You can put larger profile tires on there if you like. I ran the 225-50-17s I have on my STI BBS wheels from my other Legacy for a while, and they were fine. I actually plan on running that same diameter tire when I have to replace these tires, as the factory size is too small for my taste. But, it will throw off your speedometer.

You could switch to 205/50 17 (what the 06-09 2.5i use) or 225/45 17, both will have a taller sidewall. Anything bigger and it will throw off your spedometer. You can't go down to a 16" wheel, they won't clear the brakes.

I second what TRSCobra said, checkout some reviews at Tirerack.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

I did the 225/45/17 for awhile before I went up to 18's.

Suggestions for a reasonably priced performance tire (Summer tire)

1) Ventus v-12 Evo's

2) General Exclaim UHP

Have had very good results with both . True that alignment issues will negate a quiet tire.

Archived