LegacyGT.com

Video: Subaru v Volvo

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had an '02 XC70 and never had a problem with it like what was shown. It is a FWD drive car (95/5 split) until the front tires slip. As mentioned, it uses a electro-mechanical Haldex AWD system where the front tires need to slip quite a bit before the rears engage. I think that was the problem here. The fronts needed to slip more because the rears were doing nothing on that video. Wierd system, but that's the way Volvo designed it. It looks like the video was a set-up to let the Subaru win.

The fronts needed to slip more because the rears were doing nothing on that video. Wierd system, but that's the way Volvo designed it. It looks like the video was a set-up to let the Subaru win.

Even so, what good is offering AWD if it cant climb a hill?

I prefer a FWD dominance but not that much. Im happy with my 50/50.

ANd this is the kinda thing that concerns me a bout my dad's 330xi. Has a 10/90 split or is it 30/70? I cant remember.

Even so, what good is offering AWD if it cant climb a hill?

I prefer a FWD dominance but not that much. Im happy with my 50/50.

ANd this is the kinda thing that concerns me a bout my dad's 330xi. Has a 10/90 split or is it 30/70? I cant remember.

First link was broken for me but I guess it is the old video where the Haldex fuse was obviously pulled. The front wheels just keep spinning and the rears never come on. The older haldex only let the fronts spin 1/7 of a turn, no way that's real.

Edit: Got the video to work that is def BS. AT 1.35 mins you can see the fronts spinning away endlessly with no motion from the rear wheels. This is not haldex or any other form of awd.

Got the video to work that is def BS. AT 1.35 mins you can see the fronts spinning away endlessly with no motion from the rear wheels. This is not haldex or any other form of awd.

I dunno. Ill watch it again but Im pretty sure that they were twitching some.

You actually don't even need to pull the fuse to disable the Haldex AWD system. Just pull the e-brake one notch and the center diff becomes an open diff. Very handy when you need to make tight turns with the e-brake.

Not scientific, but in last year's only big snowstorm I was plowing with my bumper, yet never slipped even a little.

I stopped to check on about 3 stuck SUVs on secondary roads, and passed at least a dozen obvious spinout on the highway, the majority of which were AWD trucks, SUVs and AWD European Sports Wagons.

I believe there's AWD and there's AWD, if you know what I mean.

P.

very interesting the fifth gear vid. Volvos are neat cars, but they just seem to have gotten stupid expensive and lost their cool rally heritage. In the beginning, Volvos were like the swedish Subarus of the day. Saab was the same way too. Saabs and Volvos have been ruined by the GM and Ford idiots. Sometimes money can't buy you excellence all the time.

For your car audio/video needs:D

Audio Crafters IS it.

In Pasadena Ca. Arthur rules.

www.audio-crafters.com

Archived