LegacyGT.com

any reason suby oem blue oil filters are so tiny?

Please dont start a oil war here, not looking for opinions on what filter to use. :lol:

Im coming off of purolators to oem blues only because I got them cheaper and boy the size difference had me double checking if these were applicable to my car! Any reason for the size difference? So tiny, got me thinking these should be in lawn mowers! I dont remember if the original one that came with the car when new was this tiny.

I think they want to keep an air gap from the exhaust manifold. HAMMERDOWN has the Amsoil 7qt system on his car with two remote oil filters.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

oh man i just checked out his thread. thats too crazy for me, although a STI 6spd engine + tranny swap i would love to do when my engine gets too old. What is that dual filter system, a bioweapon defense system for your engine? lol.

Also may be because a larger oil filter would be "useless weight on the drag strip" to quote a phase from the AMC Javelin commercial back about 1970. If any of you remember that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

They wash a bunch of large filters in really hot water and then tumble dry them before painting them blue. That's why the OE Subaru filters are so tiny. ;)

i guess it saves space in my garage for storage? i might as well stock up on more!

Ive been running these filters with all 3 subarus ive owned and never had any issues. Whats the big deal here?

no big deal. dont care if people have or havent had issues. franky i dont care about anyones choice of filter or all the millions of discussions on oils or filters out there.

I was just simply struck by the small size compared to the filters ive used for my toyotas and the purolators i just stopped using for my outback. thats all.

no big deal. dont care if people have or havent had issues. franky i dont care about anyones choice of filter or all the millions of discussions on oils or filters out there.

I was just simply struck by the small size compared to the filters ive used for my toyotas and the purolators i just stopped using for my outback. thats all.

Oh ok. Well i dont think the size makes a bit of difference. Its all preference

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

WIX offers a filter with the same bypass pressure and it's the same dimensions.

As for OCI comment wasn't there a longer interval early on then Subaru changed it to 3750?

Im changing it per blackstones recommendation on my oil report. No need to change it more or less

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Archived