LegacyGT.com

Target Pricing for 2018 Limited w/ Eyesight?

To be blunt, just because it's just hitting the lot doesn't mean you can't get between $500 and $1500 off the car. I bought the first 2017 Forester XT Touring in FL available back last August when they first came out in Sepia Bronze and landed it for $1600 under invoice. Don't let anyone tell you because it's "new" you have no negotiating power!

All you can do is ask.

I walked in the lot, test drove the BRZ, then a Forester, then found a Legacy 3.6R in the back that wasn't even prepped yet. Test drove it. Looked at prices online and told them I'm not paying a penny over $29.9k for it. They sold it to me for $29,896.

It'll be three years on Monday. I normally get a new car every three years. I'm trying not to go back in for a BRZ as a fun car. I'm pretty set on getting a hardtop convertible next.

You can always do better than VIP pricing so don't think that that pricing is the end all be all. Shrewd negotiation is the key and your willingness to walk away and let them come running after you!

How do you get a dealership to go > 3% under their invoice on a car you order?

If they have it on the lot I could see the possibility .... in some markets.

As chowser51 stated above...all you have to do is ask. In "real" life I am a sales executive and an excellent negotiator. I am responsible for a global team of sales professionals but not in the car industry. I know how to play the game and, more importantly, I have the patience to play the game. Some will say yes and many will say no but everything in life is negotiable and don't expect it to happen all in the same day. Sometimes, these types of deals take days or a week to consummate. As an example, I went out and test drove an Alfa Romeo Gulia and an Audi A4S this morning. Neither dealer had the car I wanted. The Alfa dealer was willing to do a factory order at 2% off invoice (car had an MSRP of just under $48K and an invoice of $45K). I got him down to 3.2% under invoice at $43,550. Told him I am not sold yet and would like to think about it as my next stop was the Audi dealer down the street. Worst case, the price stays the same. Best case, I get him for another $100 or two;) On the Audi, the MSRP was $49,125 and invoice was $46,253. Would factory order a new 2018 at 2% below invoice. Told him I was looking at buying the new Alfa. He stated to let him work on the deal a bit more to see if he could do anything additional. Play these guys and you'll get what you want. Tell the Suby dealer you're looking at the new Camry or Accord or anything. They want you to buy THEIR car so you may be surprised at what you can get if you know how to "play the game":)

Does anyone know the invoice price for 2018 Limited w/ Eyesight? How much under invoice for a 2018 is realistic given that these are just hitting the lots. Thanks!

I just picked up my 2018 2.5i Limited last weekend. Went through the Costco program and price was $1000 under invoice, so $30,433 -> $29,433 (or so), with Eyesight/Nav/Highbeam assist and Popular package 2A.

Aside from the trunk not always latching and the buggy stereo/nav it's working pretty well thus far.

Jeff

"Aside from the trunk not always latching and the buggy stereo/nav it's working pretty well thus far".

You have a new 2018 with a bad trunk and a buggy NAV??? That's not good...hopefully you're taking it back in soon to have the issues rectified.

trunk latch is adjustable, but I had to slam the WRX trunk (new off the lot) to get it to latch, and when I went in for my 30 day free checkup (Goldstein Subaru does that for every car you buy) they told me to let the seal adjust rather than adjust the latch, new seals need a bit of time to soften up and letting them seat keeps the trunk from leaking in the future.

After a month or so, there was no further issue with the trunk, it might take less for you, since I had the car in November new, and summer temps will speed up the process for your car.

"Aside from the trunk not always latching and the buggy stereo/nav it's working pretty well thus far".

You have a new 2018 with a bad trunk and a buggy NAV??? That's not good...hopefully you're taking it back in soon to have the issues rectified.

Hey, that's better than my 2015 Legacy 3.6, it had recurrent check engine light problems due to a TINY leak in the exhaust system that they had to use smoke to find. That's right off of the truck!

Given your handle, my first guest is Maine. But...

OTD 32k seems like a great deal; as Subaru doesn't have an exhaustive list of options to select from (i'm looking at you, Toyota) and you got the most expesnive (Eyesight), I'd be curious as if I could get that deal I'd almost certainly get it... tomorrow.

That being said, has anyone ordered from the dealer? Although I'm not terribly picky on the ext/int color combination (except for silver or grey, i'm done with that color); the one thing I absolutely want is the small spoiler that I think only comes on the 2.5 (the sport) unless you order I assume.

And I don't want to order it "after", because I want that and more importantly, any holes needed for it, to be covered by warranty (ie: leaks).

Anyhow, I'd happily go plunk down that offer if I could order it, and I could be reasonably comfortable it would get here within a few months.

Id like to think I got a favorable deal. It was the second car we've bought from Tri City Subaru in two years so that may of helped. I found the guarantied buy back from Subaru was way out of whack, thankfully they did too. I really enjoyed the 15 premium, at least 99% of the time. I, like others who have posted was experiencing wondering during highway speeds. Up grading the rear sway bar to a thicker diameter had no effect other than somewhat tighter handling on rural roads. Truthfully I really wanted the 6, I just use the wondering as justification. Kudos to the dealership who found me exactly what I was looking for and delivered 4 days later.

I decided to price out "my" ideal Subaru, and was struck by the fact that the invoice price of your car was a $32088 (30757base + 1331eyesight).

That's assuming zero other options.

But what about tax + license? TAX around your parts is what, around 5%? That would alone add around $1500.

So... I'm wondering if the invoice prices I looked at (from the first page; but repeated here: http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2018/Subaru/Legacy/3-6R-Limited/Pricing) are way off?

I'm really curious because the invoice price of the "ideal" one for me is $33022. Can I get it for that (i'm guess I should ask!) OTD??

But what about tax + license?

Vehicle selling price (delivered) and any "dealer/document fees" are subject to dealer discretion, and are thus negotiable. Sales/use tax, title, and registration are governmental charges, outside of the dealer's control, and thus non-negotiable.

It's useless to compare "OTD" prices that include tax, title, and registration, since taxes vary substantially from one jurisdiction to another. On the other hand, you are fooling yourself if you don't include dealer/document fees in your price comparisons.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

It's useless to compare "OTD" prices that include tax, title, and registration, since taxes vary substantially from one jurisdiction to another. On the other hand, you are fooling yourself if you don't include dealer/document fees in your price comparisons.

Agreed, that's why I was asking if that 32k was OTD (including tax/license) or not because if so, it means his/her purchase price was even less. But OTD usually means inclusive of everything.

If that was 32k plus taxes; that also gives me a bit more information on what mine "should" cost. Yes, I'll negotiate, just want to know where others are falling.

Maybe I'l have my father-in-law buy it in AZ to save me on some taxes. Then I almost don't care if I'm paying MSRP.

I KID, GOVERNMENT OVERLORDS!!!

... OTD usually means inclusive of everything.

I agree. Usually, but not always. We bought both our Legacy and our Outback out of state, so in our case "OTD" was just the price of the vehicle and did not include sales tax, title, or registration, which we later had to pay separately to the State of Kansas.

Even worse, on this forum (and elsewhere) "OTD" can (and often does) mean anything imaginable ... usually depending on the financial sophistication (or lack of same) of the person posting. Similarly, some people posting here seem not even to understand the difference between MSRP and the dealer invoice price.

Probably worst of all is the widespread lack of understanding that a "dealer/document fee" is not a mandatory governmental tax or fee. Of course, most dealers do nothing to dispel this notion, since the "dealer/doc fee" equals additional profit to them.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Archived