LegacyGT.com

05 LGT clutch making noises when disengaged

biturbowagon

Car: 05 LGT wagon. 104k mi. The engine was rebuilt at 66K (blown turbo). The clutch plate was replaced at the time.

The car just started making noise from the front of the car.

It happens when the clutch is depressed: a chirping or whirring sound like a noisy belt.

There is little or no extraneous noise when the clutch pedal is released--maybe a clunk or two.

The clutch seems to be engaging and disengaging properly: no slippage, etc.

My first thought: the throwout bearing is going.

Any other thoughts?

I have an appointment at the dealer.

Should I park the car until the appointment? Should I have it towed there?

Thanks.

^^^ sounds like the tob. when the clutch pedal is to the floor, the transmission isn't doing anything, so it can't be making noise... gotta be the tob.

while you're doing the tob, you might consider a TSK3 kit, since it seems fairly common for the transmission input snout to become scored.

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

^^^ sounds like the tob. when the clutch pedal is to the floor, the transmission isn't doing anything, so it can't be making noise... gotta be the tob.

while you're doing the tob, you might consider a TSK3 kit, since it seems fairly common for the transmission input snout to become scored.

It's the TOB. Just had clutch replaced and had same symptoms.

Well, the news is bad.

The TOB ate the input shaft and housing.

The recommendation is for a rebuilt transmission, for $4K.

An alternative is to replace various housing and other parts, for about $3500--but who knows what else they'll find once they're in there.

Ugh.

Well, the news is bad.

The TOB ate the input shaft and housing.

The recommendation is for a rebuilt transmission, for $4K.

An alternative is to replace various housing and other parts, for about $3500--but who knows what else they'll find once they're in there.

Ugh.

Where are you located? That seems pretty darn expensive for a rebuilt trans.. Especially for a 5mt. You could fund a 6spd swap for that kind of $$.

Where are you located? That seems pretty darn expensive for a rebuilt trans.. Especially for a 5mt. You could fund a 6spd swap for that kind of $$.

Upstate NY, near Albany.

It's for the whole repair, not just the transmission itself, if that wasn't clear in my previous message.

Is a six speed mod practical for my car? Does it just drop in?

My LGT has been making a whistling sound when I depress my clutch. Not every time. Mostly when its cold. Is this similar to what you experienced? I am driving my car 1000mi in a couple weeks, but I'd rather catch a flight if this is a serious issue.

This is exactly what I experienced.

Based on my experience, I recommend that you take the car straight to the shop, and book a flight.

Have you explored the option of a TSK3 kit to fix the issue?

My guess is that it chewed things up pretty badly- The TSK3 kit only goes so far. Still, I'm going to be putting in a rebuilt 5mt in the near future, and it's going to cost me about a quarter of that. If you swapped your own clutch, you can swap the trans.

Frankfurtter, your best bet is to avoid driving it. Once you start getting a noticeable squeal, its only a matter of miles before it completely lets go... and it gets a lot more expensive to repair if the TOB explodes.

Archived