LegacyGT.com

What All Season Tires Should I Buy?

I have a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT. Tire size 215/45/17. I need all new tires and am looking for something that I can run in the winter as well as in the summer. I live in Wisconsin so we do get quite a bit of snow. I am looking for something that will last a couple of years. What is the best bang for your buck....

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Focus on tires that gets grip under almost any condition. Better to have some grip on ice and snow than none even if it means that you have to leave out maximum grip when it's dry.

That way you may be able to avoid being a member of the winter car bowling community.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ourR2gqCLpw]Winter Car Bowling - YouTube[/ame]

453747.png

Your best ALL AROUND traction is probably the Conti DWS. Mixed reviews but they surely do well in snow, better than most.

Agreed. I have had these on for about 20k miles and are great in snow.

Came from Bridgestone Potenzas re750s and the contis are a world of difference in snow. Conti's do have softer Sidewalls so u give up some cornering sharpness.

But these are best choice if u don't have storage room for seperate winter and summer wheel/tires.

My next set will be Eagle F1s. I really like the stiffer sidewall then the DWS tires. I run snow tires in the winter.

Also the F1's aren't directional so you can easily rotate a factor I'd consider on your next tire choice.

Might also want to up to 225 for a little more grip. It's what I'll be doing.

Continental DWS. It's my 3 season tire and temporary winter in case anything were to happen to my winter set.

For the price and how well it performs in the winter. Nothing comes close

It should last more than 2 years, maybe 4 or 5

My next set will be Eagle F1s. I really like the stiffer sidewall then the DWS tires. I run snow tires in the winter.

Also the F1's aren't directional so you can easily rotate a factor I'd consider on your next tire choice.

Might also want to up to 225 for a little more grip. It's what I'll be doing.

I had DWS on my 2.5RS, but only for about 6 months, and never saw more than a dusting of snow. No complaints with them, but I don't have much basis for comparison - previous tires on that car were cheap all seasons.

The one common complaint I've seen re: DWS is they have a softer sidewall than other high performance all-seasons.

DWS's here, 16k with 7/32 left, no issue's, sidewalls are a bit soft so I bump them to 40/38psi and they are fine for my DD. Picked up a set up 2013 WRX wheels, will be switching to MPSS as+ or the new as3 in spring or summer because everyone who owns them say they are the best hands down.

I thought we all knew to bump up the pressure to 40psi on the DWS.

Great tire for the price.

Both cars have them, going to leave them on the Spec this winter, save the snows on the Spec wheels for the wagon next winter.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I had 2 sets of DWS on my old Subarus. I just got new tires put on my legacy a week ago, Yokohama yk580's. Have not driven in snow yet, but dry and rain I like them better. Looks really similar to the DWS too, but has a much much stuffer sidewall. More expensive then DWS but not killer. There only sold at Americas discount tire.

Went from Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus to a Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position. Haven't had a chance to test the Potenza's in light snow yet (have a set of dedicated winters - Blizzaks - for the heavier snow), but felt more confident with the Michelin's in wet, thus far. Potenza's are very sharp and responsive in dry, and have pretty stiff sidewalls for cornering/turns. Running 245/40/17 on 17x8 RPF1s, 40 psi front/38 psi rear.

The best all season tire is still not as good as the worse winter tire in snow and ice, just sayin... We have a set of summer and winter's for both my wife's legacy and my STi.

We do a lot of snowboarding and mountain driving during the winter so having to white knuckle it on all seasons isn't all that fun.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone give some feedback on Michelin Defenders? I'm looking for a preplacement of my Hydroedge. Was really happy with the Hydroedge since they lasted longer than two sets of bridgestones.

Kind of like shoes. If you like what you have better buy two since they will discontinue what you like before you need a second pair.

Car is usually commuting and running around town. I need all season only to cover the trips up to the mountains and any rain we may have here in the valley.

Mainly curious how the Defenders feel and grip in the dry since thats 90% of what I'm up to.

Can anyone give some feedback on Michelin Defenders? I'm looking for a preplacement of my Hydroedge. Was really happy with the Hydroedge since they lasted longer than two sets of bridgestones.

Kind of like shoes. If you like what you have better buy two since they will discontinue what you like before you need a second pair.

Car is usually commuting and running around town. I need all season only to cover the trips up to the mountains and any rain we may have here in the valley.

Mainly curious how the Defenders feel and grip in the dry since thats 90% of what I'm up to.

I would suggest Nokian WR G2 or G3.

My wife's WR G2 with 45k(lost due to manhole) were superior to DWS brand new in the snow. DWS were a let down in terms of winter traction.

Considering California - anything that's sticky and are decent at keeping water away should work - unless ice is expected, then it's a bit more tricky to pick the right tire.

453747.png

I'm picky, looking for the next go to tire. Always had real good luck with Michelin on my truck and now this car. I'll look at the Nokian Raj.

From memory these Hydroedge were in snow covered roads twice in the last 3 years, so pretty much a 99% dry or wet driving condition, rarely frozen.

Best was my wife using the car to go to Reno in the dead of winter. She had never driven in snow before. Car brought her home safe... Needless to say pucker city for her. Hydroedge worked fine.

So I'm looking for all season that can have good grip, last a while and ride well... Occasionally rolling on the slick stuff is the last of my concerns but still a need. I don’t intend to carry chains in this car.

I have been driving on Kumho Ecsta 4Xs for about 2 years now with no complaints. I only drive in snow when I head up to ski, so I can't really comment on how they would handle a Wisconsin winter. That said, these tires have not let me down at all.

How many miles have you pulled out of the Conti's? I'm going to check today what the milage was when I put the hydroedge on... They have been on the car for more than three years at least. But I don't drive as much as I used to, WFH 80% these days.

Archived