LegacyGT.com

Takata airbag recall now includes 2005-2008 Legacy and Outback

WraithAkaMrak

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably a dumb question but...does this defect happen when the passenger airbag deploys in a crash? Or does it deploy randomly?

When the airbag deploys in a crash, it can deploy with too much pressure which sends shrapnel into the occupant. I recall at least one death was actually initially thought to be a homicide because it appeared the person was stabbed to death. :spin:

All of the verified deaths and injuries are in high temperature high humidity areas.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Probably a dumb question but...does this defect happen when the passenger airbag deploys in a crash? Or does it deploy randomly?

My understanding is that it occurs during a legitimate deployment, and thta it does not cause random deployments.

Yes, not during random deployments, AFAIK. Random deployments would be our OTHER car, the '08 Grand Caravan, just announced on the same day Carlsen Subaru called to tell me they have the parts for my car.

And now, after dropping it off today, they tell me it won't be ready until tomorrow. I got a Yukon XL as a rental - I guess all the smaller cars are already gone to the superbowl visitors, to make parking easier. Talk about a barge!

Someone's Outback being worked on, as seen on Reddit here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/?count=25&after=t3_4531f7

Comments are hilarious...

http://i.imgur.com/DYLLwR0.jpg

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Just had it done. As stated by others, dash including radio has to be partially removed. Took about 2.5 hours.

Crap. I have done so much custom work on my stereo system, I'm afraid they'll screw it up:

- replaced 2006 radio with 2007 one, for MP3 ability and aux input

- wired up aux input on new radio to a switch and pair of jacks in cubby

- built a tiny power supply on back of cubby, with jacks for satellite radio

and radar detector

- ran satellite antenna wire behind dashboard from passenger door opening to

cubby

I'm sure if I tell 'em to be sure not to mess it up, they'll say something about not being able to be responsible for custom work. I guess I'll just have to remove at least some of the stuff before I take it in.

I removed my custom wiring. The tech is already not getting enough time to do the job because it's warranty work - if you make it more difficult for him or her to do the job then it's reasonable to assume that the care he or she will take with your custom wiring will be significantly less than the care you would take yourself.

I notice the letter said there's a parts shortage. And with the sensible advice here to let the dealer's techs get some experience before taking yours in, seems like it's a good idea to wait awhile. The recall letter helpfully instructs you not to let anyone ride in your front passenger seat until the fix is done ! (Really ? How many people are going to do that ?) I wonder if NHTSA can give any guidance on the risk of the airbag thing versus the risk if you disable the airbag (assuming your wear seat belt, of course) ? What's the easiest way to disable the air bag ?

Subaru would not disable the airbag for me, nor tell me how to do it. Just said call Subaru 800 number if I had no other transport for my passengers and see if they can offer suggestions.

Do I smell a class action lawsuit for loss of use?

Are both airbags on the same fuse, or are they separate? I would happily pull a fuse for just the passenger side bag, as anyone riding with me will be wearing a belt. My truck has a switch to turn off the passenger side bag. Pity it's not a feature on all vehicles.

for the last time ....

The airbag will not deploy on its own!

The issue is when a crash occurs where the passenger side airbag deploys it can deploy with too much force. The excess force causes the igniter housing to shatter and launch shrapnel towards the occupant in the passenger seat. The shrapnel has killed several and injured many more.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

I just got my recall letter yesterday. Basically all it says is that there's a recall and there are no parts so don't let anyone sit in the passenger seat until they get parts and notify me again. :lol: Thanks for that Subaru, super helpful.

I wonder if Subaru will give me a loaner so that I can drive my family without fear of them being killed? :confused:

Who is taking the bath?

Takata and maybe their insurers, I would bet. I'm surprised Takata has not gone under given all this mess. Better believe that the auto companies are looking for other suppliers - especially since as far as I know, there has not been a true "definitive" cause shown - apart from corrosion in some few cases. And they still are not quite sure what causes some to corrode and not others.

Imagine the mess if one of the replaced airbags ever fails in the same way......

If any of you guys find yourself with no A/C after the recall work, let me know.

My A/C is not working now. Trying to decide if I should troubleshoot myself or take it back to Subaru. Yesterday was the first day the A/C would have been used in months, so it could just as easily be a slow leak, or my engine swap...

If any of you guys find yourself with no A/C after the recall work, let me know.

My A/C is not working now. Trying to decide if I should troubleshoot myself or take it back to Subaru. Yesterday was the first day the A/C would have been used in months, so it could just as easily be a slow leak, or my engine swap...

The only reasons I can think of the AC not working would be damage to HVAC connector preventing A/C compressor to turn on or possibly damage to the HVAC system indash.

Is your Compressor running when called?

Do all of the stations work / recirc / outside air, dual zone?