LegacyGT.com

5 minutes to install auto-dim/compass mirror.

LIZARD

Wow, that was easy. Just installed the auto-dim mirror w/compass in about 5 min.:) (thanks for the mirror Chappy) Prob. one of the easiest installs there is. Pulled the map light cover, unscrewed the map light assemply from the roof liner, removed. Plugged one end of the mirror cable into the exisiting wire connector, fed it through the liner to the windshield, plugged other end into the mirror and buttoned everything back up.
Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

• 2 months later...

what's involved in taking the map light/moonroof switches/cover thingy off the headliner? i just got a Homelink mirror and need to wire it up - the directions indicate a need for a "cover removal tool" which looks like a flat plastic butter knife :lol: but it is not included in the kit.

i just don't want to scratch anything or break anything on the cover.. my car is only 1006 miles old :)

and the directions also state "13.3 in-lb torque" on the small hex screw attaching the mirror to the window mount.. is 13.3" just hand-tight?

what's involved in taking the map light/moonroof switches/cover thingy off the headliner? i just got a Homelink mirror and need to wire it up - the directions indicate a need for a "cover removal tool" which looks like a flat plastic butter knife :lol: but it is not included in the kit.

i just don't want to scratch anything or break anything on the cover.. my car is only 1006 miles old :)

and the directions also state "13.3 in-lb torque" on the small hex screw attaching the mirror to the window mount.. is 13.3" just hand-tight?

Probably closer to snug or maybee a bit tighter, inch pounds are hardly any force, so be careful not to over tighten

ZMAN

bump for quick answers..

I still need to know how to take the map light/moonroof switches/cover thingy off the headliner.

You won't need the liner tool. Once you pop off the map light cover with a flat head (look for the little indentations in the clear lense) and remove the screws, the whole assembly will start to drop out.

It's really no sweat. Just go for it.

This is probably a silly question but........ How do you remove the existing mirror? Looks like it is glued in place - maybe sticky tape. Did you use a heat gun or just gentle pressure?

Just turn it at the base on the window, counter-clockwise if I remember corruptly. There is a little expanding clip. If it would help, I can post a picture, I think I have the old one in the garage with the clip. The fixture is glued to the windscreen, the mirror just rotates on and expands the clip to stay in place.

It is really-really easy to replace the mirror.

Use a thin screw-driver to remove the lens over the map lights, remove a couple of screws to pull-down the map lights. Twist off the old mirror. Pull the wire block down from the headliner to the mirror. Plug it in, twist on the new mirror. Put the little black cover on. Put the map lights back up, put the cover on.

This should take 10 minutes max while taking time for a couple sips of beer. Takes longer to explain than to do.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

• 1 month later...
I'd be curious to hear where to go for a mirror as well. Don't really need the homelink feature although I suppose it would be nice to have.

http://www.subaruparts.com/

There are a couple of other online vendors. If you go for the homelink, make sure it is compatible with your garage door before you spring for it.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I'd get one, but I like to control the mirror manually... I flip it back to normal mode at a stoplight or whatever to see cars coming up behind me...

is there a way to dim/un-dim the auto dimming mirror at the push of a button or is it strictly light activated?

The autodim feature doesn't move the mirror, it just tints it when it detects bright light.

• 2 months later...

Archived