LegacyGT.com

God-awful heat shield rattle

Heffernan

For the better part of the last 6-8 months, I’ve been dealing with a loud and very frustrating (what I believe to be a) heat shield rattle coming from my 2008 NA Outback. I’ve had the shop I take my car to look at it twice already. Trying to locate the exact area it’s coming from (not obvious), even tig welding it in a few places, with no luck. The sound usually comes back a week or 2 later. Cold starts are the worst and it’s even prevalent when shifting from 1-2, 2-3 and sometime higher depending on the RPMs (the higher they are the more likely I’ll hear it.)

I guess my question is, if it’s not the heat shield around the header, what else could it be? It sounds like it’s coming directly under the engine. My other question is, if I can’t remedy the situation and I stuck with just replacing the header altogether?

Hoping to hear some opinions on this. Thanks.

Remove them. I have used DEI heat wrap as best I can to replace the heat shields.

I removed the big over the mid pipe years ago. You don't need it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Same issue here with my Legacy. Damned if I can find which ones are loose and rattling when the engine is cold.

I don't think its a good idea to remove them. If the exhaust manifold is very hot and water gets splashed up from the road I do believe they are much more likely to crack.

• 1 month later...
Check the shield on the 2nd cat- that was making me nuts for a week. A hose clamp fixed it for me.

Yup, that what finally fixed it for me. I put a hose clamp on the front of that shield and another just in front of that on the header shield.

Only cost $3 of fix as well.

:woowoo:

• 1 year later...

Depends on what is causing the rattle.

It's a little ghetto, but on my car I had a rattle coming from the rear catalytic converter heat shields. Drilled a small hole in the heat shield, and put a small sheet metal screw in there until it made contact with the pipe to brace the shield.

Honestly, I actually got this idea from what a subaru tech did to my car a year earlier. I asked them to see if they could fix my heat shield rattle in another spot, and that's what the tech did.

Depends on what is causing the rattle.

It's a little ghetto, but on my car I had a rattle coming from the rear catalytic converter heat shields. Drilled a small hole in the heat shield, and put a small sheet metal screw in there until it made contact with the pipe to brace the shield.

Honestly, I actually got this idea from what a subaru tech did to my car a year earlier. I asked them to see if they could fix my heat shield rattle in another spot, and that's what the tech did.

What he said ^^^ Self tapping screws work the best when the whole shield is loose around the pipe but still intact.

Archived